Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Hello Ibycus,

Are you still looking for a database with road names? Statistic Canada has one:

<http://geodepot.statcan.ca/Diss2006/DataProducts/RNF2006_e.jsp>.

It seems quite complete. I have used it to generate maps for the Magellan Explorist and the data seems quite accurate.

Clement

From my experience, the accuracy of that dataset is highly questionable. There are areas where the data is at least 100m off of the true location. Somewhere (don't recall where, but probably in the metadata files that come with the data) I found a statement saying that the topological connections were given preference over spatial accuracy.

There are certainly some areas that are in fact fairly accurate in that data, but its not at all consistent. I find it particularly evident in newer areas. Its almost in some cases like someone just looked at an arial photograph and drew in roughly where the roads go on another map.

This is why I elected to use the geobase dataset over the statscan version, as most people seemed to indicate that road accuracy was more important to them than road names.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I've seen a mapset on mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com that used the statscan dataset to generate a detailed road map, so if anyone is interested in checking it out for their area, they can have a peek.

The 2007 dataset was released on Nov 27, 2007. May be they have improved the accuracy. In their release notes, it claims that in most urban centers, the absolute positional accuracy is "similar to roads in the 1:50,000 NTDB data (i.e. approx. +/- 10 meters)". I generated a map for Montreal, and overlap some of my track logs on it, and the roads are right on. But, of course, this is only one sample.

hummmmm it is working !?!?!?!

ERROR MESSAGE (MoveFile failed; code2) : 10230316, 10320102, 10321605, 10321611, 10430513, 10620810, 10621502, 10821412, 10921408, 10931312

MESSAGE FROM MY ANIVIRUS:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\TOPOMAPS\IMGS\IS-8OUPJ.TMP

B)

i think i will keep my metroguide canada v4 for the moment

Hello,

This is probably a really stupid question, but when I attempt to download the Canadian Topo Map, it appears to download correctly but right at the end I get an error message, "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program."

I have a pretty strong hunch that I'm doing something wrong that is probably very simple.

Thanks very much in advance for any assisstance.

Graham

hummmmm it is working !?!?!?!

ERROR MESSAGE (MoveFile failed; code2) : 10230316, 10320102, 10321605, 10321611, 10430513, 10620810, 10621502, 10821412, 10921408, 10931312

MESSAGE FROM MY ANIVIRUS:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\TOPOMAPS\IMGS\IS-8OUPJ.TMP

B)

i think i will keep my metroguide canada v4 for the moment

I assume this error comes from MapUpdate?

What Antivirus are you using? A few have big problems with anything other than a couple of registered browsers accessing the internet. When I first released MapUpdate, it was itsself (mis)recognized as a virus by Sophos antivirus.

I've since run up against McAfee Enterprise edition (won't let me access the internet cache). So it wouldn't surprise me if it was something on your system blocking the program from running.

As a workaround to these problems, I intend to release the maps as an ISO file, that you can burn to a DVD. Until that time, though you have two options:

1. Disable the antivirus/firewall

2. If you aren't comfortable doing this, (I'd be a little reluctant myself), you can work with the older version, which is still available on http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo.

Let me know how you make out.

Dale

Hello,

This is probably a really stupid question, but when I attempt to download the Canadian Topo Map, it appears to download correctly but right at the end I get an error message, "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program."

I have a pretty strong hunch that I'm doing something wrong that is probably very simple.

Graham

I take it this is TopoMaps122.exe reporting this message? Have you tried MapUpdate?

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe ?

This will get you a newer version of the maps, and while its still in beta at the moment (due in part to some of the errors being reported by some antivirus packages), it is the prefererd method for obtaining the maps.

Dale

The 2007 dataset was released on Nov 27, 2007. May be they have improved the accuracy. In their release notes, it claims that in most urban centers, the absolute positional accuracy is "similar to roads in the 1:50,000 NTDB data (i.e. approx. +/- 10 meters)". I generated a map for Montreal, and overlap some of my track logs on it, and the roads are right on. But, of course, this is only one sample.

I'll have to have a closer look at it then. Thank you for pointing it out.

Dale

Hello,

Graham

I take it this is TopoMaps122.exe reporting this message? Have you tried MapUpdate?

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe ?

This will get you a newer version of the maps, and while its still in beta at the moment (due in part to some of the errors being reported by some antivirus packages), it is the prefererd method for obtaining the maps.

Dale

Thank you Dale - I'll try this when I get home. thank you again for all your hard work

Graham

I'll have to have a closer look at it then. Thank you for pointing it out.

Dale

Had a quick look, and generated the following comparison between the geobase and statscan dataset

statscangeobase.jpg

The red lines are the (inaccurate) statscan data. The black are the lines I'm using (which AFAIK) are accruate.

MapUpdate is currently offline while I update the mapset. This version includes some filled in holes as well as bigger map tiles in some areas.

Also newest tiles have a different layering scheme than older tiles. The new version should be available some time today (My guess would be some time after lunch MST).

Please, note, that due to this update, there will be a number of 'orphaned' files in the IMGs directory (files that are no longer part of the maps). These files won't do any harm, they just take up space.

The next version of mapupdate should clear these out.

Is it possible to have both your maps and the Garmin Topo maps on my gps at the same time? I've tried to do it and while it seems I can upload sections from each it lists the name of each tile, so trying to select/deselct one set from the other, I have to go through a huge list.

Right now, since I have a 2gb card in the gps I've been uploading all of BC and part of Alberta (cause I can), is there a way to name each set of maps under one name, so I can select either the IbycusTopo set of maps or the GamrinTopo set of maps?

Is it possible to have both your maps and the Garmin Topo maps on my gps at the same time? I've tried to do it and while it seems I can upload sections from each it lists the name of each tile, so trying to select/deselct one set from the other, I have to go through a huge list.

Right now, since I have a 2gb card in the gps I've been uploading all of BC and part of Alberta (cause I can), is there a way to name each set of maps under one name, so I can select either the IbycusTopo set of maps or the GamrinTopo set of maps?

The exact way to turn off a whole mapset vs. the individual tiles varies by GPS, so I can't give you detailed instructions, other than to say that its possible. On my unit, I have to hit the menu button while I've got the list of maps displayed in order to turn the mapsets on and off.

HTH

Dale

I have the 60CSx.

Like I said when I choose all of BC in both the GarminTopos and your Topos, I end up with a huge listing of all the individual tiles. It's my understanding that I have to choose everything I want to upload to the gps all at the sametime and do it in one upload. Not really sure how to get it to recognize all your map tiles as one set of maps, and all of Garmin's topos as a second set of maps.

I have the 60CSx.

Like I said when I choose all of BC in both the GarminTopos and your Topos, I end up with a huge listing of all the individual tiles. It's my understanding that I have to choose everything I want to upload to the gps all at the sametime and do it in one upload. Not really sure how to get it to recognize all your map tiles as one set of maps, and all of Garmin's topos as a second set of maps.

You are correct -- when uploading the maps you need to select all of the tiles you want to upload to the unit and send them there all at once.

Once you have them on the unit you can turn map sets on and off at will without having to select individual tiles. On the 60CSx, you do it this way:

-- From the "Map" screen hit "Menu" and then select "Setup Map"

-- On the "Map setup - Information" screen, hit "Menu" again

-- You can now turn on/off entire map sets individually as well as "Show All" and "Show None"

map_select.jpg

Hope that is what you were asking about. :lol: Big thanks to Red90 for explaining this to me several months ago.

Once you have them on the unit you can turn map sets on and off at will without having to select individual tiles. On the 60CSx, you do it this way:

-- From the "Map" screen hit "Menu" and then select "Setup Map"

-- On the "Map setup - Information" screen, hit "Menu" again

-- You can now turn on/off entire map sets individually as well as "Show All" and "Show None"

Much clearer than I was. Thanks Dan!

Ibycus, thanks so much for making all those files available. Are there POI files within those files? I'm trying to covert them for Explorist use and having trouble finding them. Thanks

When you make the Shape files, there should be one labelled *_P.shp Those are the POIs. They are called "points" in GPSMapedit and Ptxt2shp.

Take that file and convert it to a CSV file using Excel or similar in the proper format as described in the tutorial. Each type (category) needs to be under its own heading. See http://www.msh-tools.com/creator.html

I don't include the POIs in my Magellan maps because this is quite labour intensve... It really needs a simple program written to get from Shape format to the proper CSV format.

Edited by Red90

If I don't bother with POIs, is there a quick description of what to do with the other 3 types to put them on my gps (I've really been scanning all the information I can get my hands on, but my eyeballs are spinning, and I'm not sure). I've created csv files (that might just refer to poi's). Many thanks

If I don't bother with POIs, is there a quick description of what to do with the other 3 types to put them on my gps (I've really been scanning all the information I can get my hands on, but my eyeballs are spinning, and I'm not sure). I've created csv files (that might just refer to poi's). Many thanks

Yes, this one... http://www.msh-tools.com/magellanmapseng.html

It is relatively straightforward, albeit convoluted...

a) Run Ptxt2shp.exe on the .mp file to create shape files.

1. Open "MMO Advanced 1.0 or 1.1"

2. Tools/Background map

3. Detach current map.

4. Open existing .MMP file. As you won't have an MMP file setup, you will need to set one up to match what you need and want. See the website above under "Creation of Map"...

5. Save Map.

6. Operations / Add Map to Mapsend.

7. Close MMO Advanced

8. Run addSTDGRP.exe

9. Open MMO Office 1.1

10. Remove old maps from BackGround Map dialog if they are attached.

11. Select region.

12. File / Upload to GPS / Background Maps.... To hard drive.

13. Find map at C:\Program Files\MobileMapper Office\Export\Images\&world.img This is the file for old style Magellan receivers.

If you need an Explorist file

14. Close MMO Office.

15. Run addSTDGRP.exe

16. Run MMO 2.7

17. Create region.

18. Upload to GPS.

19. Find map at C:\Program Files\MobileMapper Office 27\Export\Images\

20. Convert the file with MMOCOnvert. This is then the file for Explorist receivers.

I have been looking at the shape files created by Ptxt2shp and have a technical question regarding the meaning of the polygon types with the following hex code: 0x0029, 0x2c00, 0x004a, and 0x0020. I cannot find them in the Appendices of the cGPSmapper manual, and Mikhail's AddMagMap decodes them as: Blue-unknown, 0x2c00, Definition area, and State Park. Is Mikhail correct?

I will look at the Polyline type later, and may have similar questions.

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but I am actually looking at the build source of one of ibycus's Canada topo maps. All the discussion of converting form garmin to magellan have got me interested.

Clement

I have been looking at the shape files created by Ptxt2shp and have a technical question regarding the meaning of the polygon types with the following hex code: 0x0029, 0x2c00, 0x004a, and 0x0020. I cannot find them in the Appendices of the cGPSmapper manual, and Mikhail's AddMagMap decodes them as: Blue-unknown, 0x2c00, Definition area, and State Park. Is Mikhail correct?

Use GPSMapedit to see the code definitions.

0x0020 he is using for "Vegetation" but is normally a park. Garmin's default "vegetation" polygons look horrid.

0x004a are "maps selection areas"

0x0029 is and are unknown water bodys.

0x2C00 is a "point" not a "polygon" and it is a generic "attraction"

Red90, thanks for the quick response, and the hint to use GPSMapedit. It makes live easier.

As for 0x2c00 being a point, I found it in the build.mp file contained in "Ibycus Topo-031I04-071070732-src.zip". In particular, the build.mp contains the section:

[RGN80]

Type=0x2c00

Data0=(46.081789,-73.547102),(46.082247,-73.547710),(46.082441,-73.548080),(46.082455,-73.548454),(46.083656,-73.550247),(46.084311,-73.549364),(46.084354,-73.549168),(46.084309,-73.548510),(46.084225,-73.548227),(46.084335,-73.547771),(46.084333,-73.547525),(46.084139,-73.547169),(46.082842,-73.545637),(46.081789,-73.547102)

EndLevel=3

[END-RGN80]

If I understand it correctly, RGN80 is a polygon and not a point. Can I assume that this is just a minor typo? There is only one such polygon among 1580.

Clement

Most likely a typo on my part. Strangely I can't see where I'm assigning that type, so its likely just a result of old data processing and has since been fixed. I'll double check though.

Ibycus, thanks.

Another question, in the same build.mp file, can I assume that lines of type "0x000" and "0x0000" both refer to roads? In other words, being a hex value, the extra zero is not significant.

Lines of type 0x008, according to GPSMapEdit, are "highway ramps (low speed)". Are they "highway exits"?

Clement

Most likely a typo on my part. Strangely I can't see where I'm assigning that type, so its likely just a result of old data processing and has since been fixed. I'll double check though.

Ibycus, thanks.

Another question, in the same build.mp file, can I assume that lines of type "0x000" and "0x0000" both refer to roads? In other words, being a hex value, the extra zero is not significant.

They are both roads, but you may be able to extract some additional information from the extra 0 if you have a way to use it. The more common of the two is the 'residential street' type roads, and the less common I think are 'bridges'. This particular element type has been removed from later versions, as it doesn't look right on the Colorado units.

Lines of type 0x008, according to GPSMapEdit, are "highway ramps (low speed)". Are they "highway exits"?

Clement

Depends... In "Garmin Speak" Highway exits are points, so they wouldn't be "highway exits". However they might be what normal people refer to as exits (they are the on ramps and off ramps and dedicated turning lanes)

Just wanted to let everyone monitoring (and posting to) this thread that I'm likely going to be away for the next little while. So don't be surprised if I don't reply (I'll try to anyways, but I'll likely be slower than usual). My dog is having knee surgery next wednesday, so I'm going to be a bit pre-occupied with that.

**edit to fix bad spelling

Edited by ibycus

Just wanted to let everyone monitoring (and posting to) this thread that I'm likely going to be away for the next little while. So don't be surprised if I don't reply (I'll try to anyways, but I'll likely be slower than usual). My dog is having knee surgery next wednesday, so I'm going to be a bit pre-occupied with that.

**edit to fix bad spelling

Sorry to hear about the dog, Dale. Here's my best wishes for his/her quick recovery.

In the process of uploading an update. Probably the last one for a while, but its a biggy. While the update is uploading, the updater will be offline.

The dataset is now made up of 10486 segments, for a total of ~3.99GB.

The upload should finish at about 3am GMT -7. (~10 hours from now)

Coverage is mostly complete with the exception of a few tiles, mostly up north.

For future versions, I hope to get the number of segments down to more managable numbers. I'm also on the verge of having a downloadable ISO image of the dataset (I thought I had it, but it turns out there is a bug in the install routines), which I hope to upload tomorrow.

OK, so I just picked up my new Colorado 300 with City Navigator NT, but I have never worked with a GPS or electronic maps before. Everyone on there seems to recommend Ibycus' toto maps for Canada, but I was wondering what would the procedure be for loading these maps onto my GPS? (Please be gentle, I'm totally new at all of this!!) Thanks.

OK, so I just picked up my new Colorado 300 with City Navigator NT, but I have never worked with a GPS or electronic maps before. Everyone on there seems to recommend Ibycus' toto maps for Canada, but I was wondering what would the procedure be for loading these maps onto my GPS? (Please be gentle, I'm totally new at all of this!!) Thanks.

The Colorado comes with a CD with Mapsource right? (Oh as an aside have you updated to the latest City Navigator off of Garmin's site? I think there is a time limit on how long the free update is open for...)

If you've got Mapsource, the proceedure is pretty easy.

Download and run http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

Hit "Check for Updates"

Wait...

Wait some more...

Wait... (it sometimes looks hung, I've never seen it actually hang)

When it says that its done, open up mapsource.

In the top left hand corner of the screen you'll have a drop down list box with your various mapsets listed.

Select "Ibycus Topo 1.5"

Next select the area you want to send to the GPS using the "Map Select tool" within mapsource (hit 'm' to activate the map select too...also don't try to send the whole mapset. Its too many map segments, so it will never actually load to the GPS)

Then hit Transfer --> Send to Device.

HTH

Dale

How long does it take to download and were does it download to?, I started the download and after 3 hours, "I have cable and I dont know why it took so long" I had to go to work, when i got home there was nothing on the screen and i cant find anything on the computer. Now I have found the directory that some files have been downloaded to, 1333 img files, cant seem to get it into mapsource though.

Edited by Othum

c:\program files\topomaps\

It should take a few hours. It is 4 GB. There are 10490 IMG files. Your load did not finish. You should see a status bar telling you how many files have loaded when the installer is running.

Let it run overnight.

Cant leave the laptop online that long in one shot, seems to continue when i start again. been several hours, got 1374 files. not sure why its so slow. have cable.

Surprising length of time really. I downloaded the entire thing in 51 minutes on DSL. and yes I have the entire map set.

JD

Cant leave the laptop online that long in one shot, seems to continue when i start again. been several hours, got 1374 files. not sure why its so slow. have cable.

Are you on XP or Vista? I'm told (but am unable to verify) that they are some 'issues' with it looking like its hung on Vista. Running in XP compatibility mode apparently fixes the problem.

Dale

Are you on XP or Vista? I'm told (but am unable to verify) that they are some 'issues' with it looking like its hung on Vista. Running in XP compatibility mode apparently fixes the problem.

Dale

I, as well, am in the middle of downloading these topo maps and have a simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere!

I have the Colorado 300 and Canadian Topo v2. I loaded the topo maps for my area, but when I go to select the 3d view from the Colorado, it says there is not enough detail. The Garmin site says that in order to get 3d view I need topo on an sd card. More money to Garmin! I say noooooooo way.

So, the question to you other Colorado owners out there is do these free topo maps give me enough detail to use the 3d view?

Thanks to all, looking forward to the download finishing sometime this long weekend!!!!

jeff

So, the question to you other Colorado owners out there is do these free topo maps give me enough detail to use the 3d view?

Simple answer... no.

Long answer... I don't think so. I believe the 3d view relies on having DEM data in the map files. At this time, there are no 3rd party products (that I know of) that have decoded the DEM format used by Garmin, so no way to include this 'detail' in the maps.

I imagine you'll get the same error if you use an older Topo product from Garmin (although I'm not sure as I don't have a Colorado, or any other topo product to test with).

Dale