Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

OK, I solved it. You'll need to download http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/NTDBData.img, and replace the one in the program directory (normally \Program Files\TopoMaps).

For the benefit of those who care, the problem was that I removed a couple of spurious tiles from the Alberta set. Then I missed uploading the updated NTDBData.img file. So the TDB file didn't reference them, but the IMG file did. When ever those maps came on the screen, it would crash.

**edit -- if your update is currently running, you don't need to worry. This is the last file that gets downloaded, this only applies to those who updated immediately.

Edited by ibycus

Busy avoiding work....

Just uploaded a new version of MapUpdate. This version should work with a fresh install. I've tested it as best I can, but I no longer have a system with a completely fresh install to be 100% sure (I've simulated a fresh install, but that's not entirely the same thing).

URL is

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

This version also shouldn't require MSCOMCTL32.OCX, and shouldn't trigger virus protection programs either (had a false positive on the old one with a couple of over zealous anti virus programs because of the internet connectivity).

I downloaded and saved that .img file, and I ran the new updater and it still crashes when I try to zoom out.

Should I just re-install it instead?

Here is the Error report that it generates.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>

<ErrorReport xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/ApplicationErrors/v1">

<Error>

<Exception>

<SourceCodeLocation>

<SourceFileName>TDB_REGIONDIR.CPP</SourceFileName>

<SourceFileLine>164</SourceFileLine>

</SourceCodeLocation>

<Extra>

Product ID: 127

Region ID: 10820315</Extra>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

<VersionMajor>6</VersionMajor>

<VersionMinor>13</VersionMinor>

<BuildMajor>7</BuildMajor>

<BuildMinor>0</BuildMinor>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Time>Jan 21 2008, 14:11:50</Time>

<Builder>SQA</Builder>

</Build>

<LanguageID>1033</LanguageID>

<PartNumber>006-A0041-00</PartNumber>

</Application>

I downloaded and saved that .img file, and I ran the new updater and it still crashes when I try to zoom out.

Should I just re-install it instead?

I assume you put it in the program directory? (\Program Files\TopoMaps) as opposed to the img directory (\Program Files\TopoMaps\imgs)

Another thing you can do is go in to the \Program Files\TopoMaps\imgs directory, delete one of the IMG files (any one) and re-run the updater.

Dale

Hey Ibycus,

Living here in BC in the Lower Mainland I also do a lot of hiking in Washington State, have you done Topos for the US as well? Is there an easy way I could add just Washington State to the Canadian Topos I've downloaded so I can have everything on one map.

There is a project underway, http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html They have not done WS yet, but if you ask them......

Hi Ibycus

Just to let you know (and the Group) that I just succeeded in producing a working set of the Quebec province.

This is due to your valuable help. I use your Topo_pv.txt that you provided with the free version of cgpsmapper with pvx command (cgpsmapper pvx topo_pv.txt). I also confirm that it is too much hassle, just do a complete install and enjoy life.

So do not imitate a stubborn old man.

After that 2 months of trial and miss and success I will download the whole thing anyway.CCCCCan't miss any of this.

Keep up the good work since there is a LOT happening in the GARMIN world these day.

There is a project underway, http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html They have not done WS yet, but if you ask them......

There is a utility on this site {.img File Information} using perl.

I do not know perl. Is there a utility for windows xp or maybe Ibycus could make one.

This looks very usefull....

Interesting. Hadn't seen that one yet. I'll have to take a look at their source code with my img format description beside me.

I started to write something similar for use with earlier versions of "MapUpdate". I abandoned it in favour of the current model after I realized the variability in the IMG files (routines worked great on all files compiled with the online compiler, but conked out on the ones compiled with the downloaded compiler).

Have you had a peek at "MapsetToolKit" I don't have the link handy, but it might be a useful way to shortcut some of these processes.

Have you had a peek at "MapsetToolKit" I don't have the link handy, but it might be a useful way to shortcut some of these processes.

Yes I use MapSetToolKit once in a while I do beleive it is one off the best to deal with img files.

What I would like is something to see the 12345678.img with the title beside it so I could find a map fast with a text editor.

There is something very close to it out there it is called Mapsource Map Explorer

The link is http://www.geodude.nl/community/content/view/29/49/

Again if you want to find a map no tool for search.

Or maybe I am missing something. (stubborn old man)

Yes I use MapSetToolKit once in a while I do beleive it is one off the best to deal with img files.

What I would like is something to see the 12345678.img with the title beside it so I could find a map fast with a text editor.

There is something very close to it out there it is called Mapsource Map Explorer

The thing I was thinking with MapSetToolkit is that it will help you load the maps in to Mapsource. Then you can find them by area. (With my own maps, this shouldn't be an issue, as all the IMG numbers have a meaning which is easy enough to decode back to an area).

Dale

Edited by ibycus

This is going to seem like an odd question... was the progress bar on the top or the bottom of the window?

Also did it tell you that it was a fresh install at the begining?

lol! I don't remember where the bar was. I need to install it on another laptop so I'll pay attention. It did tell me it was a fresh install.

Just installing on another and the progress bar is on the top and it did say fresh install again. Downloaded this one just now vs. the other day for the original attempt on the different PC.

Cheers,

Paul

This is going to seem like an odd question... was the progress bar on the top or the bottom of the window?

Also did it tell you that it was a fresh install at the begining?

lol! I don't remember where the bar was. I need to install it on another laptop so I'll pay attention. It did tell me it was a fresh install.

Just installing on another and the progress bar is on the top and it did say fresh install again. Downloaded this one just now vs. the other day for the original attempt on the different PC.

Cheers,

Paul

If it told you it was a fresh install, then the progress bar should have been on top. (the two changes came about together)

Would you mind trying something for me? Could you run MapUpdate for me on the other laptop? I'd like to see if we can figure out why it didn't put those registry entries in.

If you want to speed up the progress, you can copy the contents of the "TopoMaps\IMGs\" directory from one laptop to the other. Just make sure you miss out a couple of files so that MapUpdate has something to do.

This version should add registry entries under the \Families\NTDBData Key, rather than \Products (this will make it easier for those who want to use TYP files).

If it doesn't add the registry entries, I've got another version which might work that I've made one really minor change to, if you e-mail me, I'll send it to you. (I really want to get this bug sorted out)

Should this have changed an existing install to "Families"? Mine is still installed to "Products".

Nope. Figured it was best not to go mucking about deleting registry settings on someone else's machine if they already existed (even if I put them there in the first place). If you want it under Families though, just go ahead and delete the key under products and re-run MapUpdate.

I'm pretty sure I found the bug. No idea how it was working for me when I tested it (it was writing one of the keys as the wrong type). I think maybe I didn't save my code at one point and lost something. It should work for a fresh install now.

Should this have changed an existing install to "Families"? Mine is still installed to "Products".

Nope. Figured it was best not to go mucking about deleting registry settings on someone else's machine if they already existed (even if I put them there in the first place). If you want it under Families though, just go ahead and delete the key under products and re-run MapUpdate.

I'm pretty sure I found the bug. No idea how it was working for me when I tested it (it was writing one of the keys as the wrong type). I think maybe I didn't save my code at one point and lost something. It should work for a fresh install now.

Yep, had the same problem. Downloaded the new one and it creates a families folder in the registry however when I run mapsource it barfs on the ID key. ID is a double word and its set to 0xfffff501. Any idea what it should be? For now I'll just run that reg file again and delete the families folder.

P.S. The paths for IDX and MDR had an extra slash after "Program Files".

Edited by paulrimmer

Just tried and it killed Mapsource... It does not like the ID.....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>

<ErrorReport xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/ApplicationErrors/v1">

<Error>

<Exception>

<SubId>234</SubId>

<SourceCodeLocation>

<SourceFileName>WIN_REGKEY.HPP</SourceFileName>

<SourceFileLine>686</SourceFileLine>

</SourceCodeLocation>

<Extra>Reg name: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Garmin\MapSource\Families\NTDBData\ID'; Windows Error Code: 234

More data is available.

</Extra>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

<VersionMajor>6</VersionMajor>

<VersionMinor>13</VersionMinor>

<BuildMajor>7</BuildMajor>

<BuildMinor>0</BuildMinor>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Time>Jan 21 2008, 14:11:50</Time>

<Builder>SQA</Builder>

</Build>

<LanguageID>1033</LanguageID>

<PartNumber>006-A0041-00</PartNumber>

</Application>

<Computer>

<OperatingSystem>Windows XP Service Pack 2</OperatingSystem>

<Processor>x86, Processor Level: 15, Processors:1, Model: 0 Stepping: 7</Processor>

<RamSize>1047628</RamSize>

</Computer>

<Time>2008-04-20T05:36:16Z</Time>

</Error>

</ErrorReport>

Yep, had the same problem. Downloaded the new one and it creates a families folder in the registry however when I run mapsource it barfs on the ID key. ID is a double word and its set to 0xfffff501. Any idea what it should be? For now I'll just run that reg file again and delete the families folder.

When was this version of MapUpdate downloaded? (before or after my revised 'I've found the problem' post)

I just uploaded yet another new version. If you delete the families\NTDBData and Products\NTDBData Key, and then run this new version, it should put the right stuff in the registry. (the ID key should be 0x01F5 and it should be a Binary value and not a DWORD).

When was this version of MapUpdate downloaded? (before or after my revised 'I've found the problem' post)

I just uploaded yet another new version. If you delete the families\NTDBData and Products\NTDBData Key, and then run this new version, it should put the right stuff in the registry. (the ID key should be 0x01F5 and it should be a Binary value and not a DWORD).

It was late last night after that post. OK, I just downloaded and ran your new one after deleting the registry stuff and a single img. Now the paths don't have the extra '\' anymore and ID is a binary of value "f5 01". I'm assuming that matches your 0x1f5 as mapsource seems to start up OK and let me use the maps. Thanks for the great work!

It was late last night after that post. OK, I just downloaded and ran your new one after deleting the registry stuff and a single img. Now the paths don't have the extra '\' anymore and ID is a binary of value "f5 01". I'm assuming that matches your 0x1f5 as mapsource seems to start up OK and let me use the maps. Thanks for the great work!

Should be fine. Actually I'm not totally sure where that number comes from. Its just want cpreview puts in the .reg file (any value *seems* to work)

Dale

I just rebuilt my old 5GB HD laptop for speed and diskpace (nLite is a great package!) and was trying to just copy a subset of the IMG files over for Sask West. I did this and ran the mapupdater then killed it after it started downloading IMG files. Unfortunately it didn't create the registry keys like I was hoping for. Does it do this after downloading all the files (which I don't need)? Any chance of an updated regfix? :ph34r:

I'm not sure, but I think I might have a bad TDB. If I try to upload a large area, I get the "there is not enough room on the drive" error, which seems to be tied into a TDB that was not run on the full map set.

You're right, that definitely seems like a bad TDB. I have a sneaking suspicion I know what its related to. When I did the last update of Alberta (to change the road type), there were a couple of tiles that didn't change size, meaning that they wouldn't be redownloaded when you re-ran mapupdate. I'd hoped that the TDB wouldn't care, as the files were the same size, but perhaps the internal 'files' in the IMG are different size.

Two possible solutions:

1. Delete all the 1082*.img, 1083*.img, 1084*.img files and re-run mapupdate.

2. find all the above files, delete the oldest ones (mine are all dated march 21st)

Dale

I just rebuilt my old 5GB HD laptop for speed and diskpace (nLite is a great package!) and was trying to just copy a subset of the IMG files over for Sask West. I did this and ran the mapupdater then killed it after it started downloading IMG files. Unfortunately it didn't create the registry keys like I was hoping for. Does it do this after downloading all the files (which I don't need)? Any chance of an updated regfix? :ph34r:

The creation of the registry keys is (intentionally) the last step. This is so that if mapupdate doesn't finish, it won't corrupt your mapsource install.

Given that you're using just a subset of the IMGs, you probably don't want my TDB and IMG files anyways. You'll likely want to use something like MapSetToolKit to load them in to mapsource. (Haven't played with this much myself, but it doesn't seem too tough...)

If you have trouble, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

Dale

The creation of the registry keys is (intentionally) the last step. This is so that if mapupdate doesn't finish, it won't corrupt your mapsource install.

Given that you're using just a subset of the IMGs, you probably don't want my TDB and IMG files anyways. You'll likely want to use something like MapSetToolKit to load them in to mapsource. (Haven't played with this much myself, but it doesn't seem too tough...)

If you have trouble, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

Dale

No worries, I'll copy all of the IMG files back onto the laptop, run the update to get the registry items then delete the IMG files I don't need to free up my limited HD space. I'm installing this on friends machines as well so I'll just use my main machine to keep up to date from your server then copy the files from there for a speedy install.

Just saw this on the Geobase website (where I get my road data)

The NRN 2.0 datasets for Nova Scotia and Yukon will be published, along with those for Alberta and British Columbia, during the summer.

So it seems that sometime this summer, we'll have road names for Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia and Yukon.

Just saw this on the Geobase website (where I get my road data)

The NRN 2.0 datasets for Nova Scotia and Yukon will be published, along with those for Alberta and British Columbia, during the summer.

So it seems that sometime this summer, we'll have road names for Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia and Yukon.

w00t!

For my maps, you can now download http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/filelist.lst This will give you map name along with associated IMG file, and compilation date.

I've just uploaded a new version of MapUpdate. I would suggest that anyone who has used MapUpdate download and run this version in order to be sure that all of your map tiles are up to date.

There was a problem with the older versions where certain tiles wouldn't get downloaded. This *should* now be fixed. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who ran the last version, and has also run this version. I'd like to know

a) Does it find any more files to update?

:P If so, how many?

I don't currently have a not up to date install, so its hard for me to test.

Is it possible to get the *.img files for 052 - 054 and 062 - 064? I'd like to experiment with converting them to *.imi format using some of the freeware tools out there and see if I can get them into an eXplorist/Triton-compatible format.

How good are you at scripting downloads? All the individual IMG files are available via HTTP from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download

The list of IMG files available is at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/filelist.lst

You should be able to cook up a script pretty quick if you use wget (or something similar).

If you need a copy of just wget by itself, e-mail me, and I'll send it to you (otherwise you can get it through cygwin).

HTH

Dale

**edit to add, my next area for update is 052, so you may want to hold off until I've done that one**

Edited by ibycus

Is it possible to get the *.img files for 052 - 054 and 062 - 064? I'd like to experiment with converting them to *.imi format using some of the freeware tools out there and see if I can get them into an eXplorist/Triton-compatible format.

How good are you at scripting downloads? All the individual IMG files are available via HTTP from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download

The list of IMG files available is at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/filelist.lst

You should be able to cook up a script pretty quick if you use wget (or something similar).

If you need a copy of just wget by itself, e-mail me, and I'll send it to you (otherwise you can get it through cygwin).

HTH

Dale

**edit to add, my next area for update is 052, so you may want to hold off until I've done that one**

No problems pulling the files down here, I'll script the download to run off prime hours to my storage box. I'll start with the *.img files for 062 as that is most of southern Manitoba, I should be able to merge them together and run them through some of the conversion utilities (possibly even script this) and see if they work properly on the newer Maggies. Thanks! :(

edit: The maps for 062 were only 60-odd MB, so I'll play around with these and see what I can put together.

Edited by mikey_b

For my maps, you can now download http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/filelist.lst This will give you map name along with associated IMG file, and compilation date.

Thanks Ibycus Iwish I could do the same for all Garmin Products

Edited by Defoucault

No problems pulling the files down here, I'll script the download to run off prime hours to my storage box. I'll start with the *.img files for 062 as that is most of southern Manitoba, I should be able to merge them together and run them through some of the conversion utilities (possibly even script this) and see if they work properly on the newer Maggies. Thanks! :(

edit: The maps for 062 were only 60-odd MB, so I'll play around with these and see what I can put together.

Don't worry too much about prime vs. not prime hours. I doubt it will have much impact one way or the other.

(052, 053 is ~160MB all told)

Dale

As those of you who have used the mapset know, there are a lot of map tiles in it. (6002 at last count). Many GPSrs have a limitation of 2025 map tiles loaded at a time, and those that don't take an inordinate amout of time to load anyways. To this end, it would be a good idea for me to reduce the number of tiles (i.e. make each tile cover a larger area).

The easiest thing for me to do, would be to change the naming of the tiles so that they are named based on the 1:250k mapsheets. This would produce a total of 452 mapsheets for the current area, which should load much faster. This has the big advantage that the naming is consistent with a known standard, so you should always be able to find the tile you're looking for (especially useful for those not using mapsource).

The disadvante of this, is that it would make the largest tile in the dataset 16MB, which is too big to load to some older GPSrs (particularly the old legend series... pretty sure that had an 8MB limit).

The alternative, which takes a little more work on my part is to attempt to use some smarts when figuring out how big (in area) to make each tile. That way when a tile gets too big, it could be split in to smaller chunks. Practically though, this isn't as easy as maybe it should be. There are definite limitations to how accurately I can predict how big tiles should be. It also begs the question of how to name the tiles. when they do get that big (means 'inventing' my own standard).

Thoughts?

Is anyone using these maps with the old legend? (or GPSr with similarly limited memory)

Edited by ibycus

Is anyone using these maps with the old legend? (or GPSr with similarly limited memory)

I have Midwestern Ontario loaded in an old Streetpilot, on an 8 meg data cartridge. While slow to load, it works perfectly. By the way, it's accurate as heck, too. I know most of the contours here on our property, and your mapset is bang on with the physical terrain.

I have Midwestern Ontario loaded in an old Streetpilot, on an 8 meg data cartridge. While slow to load, it works perfectly. By the way, it's accurate as heck, too. I know most of the contours here on our property, and your mapset is bang on with the physical terrain.

OK, just for you, I'll try to keep all the tiles below 8MB.