Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Just thought that you might like to know that in the very near future the Ontario data will be free and available on line (no more $100 fee). Don't know exactly when, but stay tuned.

Very cool.

I just came across this topic and am interested in what you are providing. Thats great. The detail is very good. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Edited by forest813

Hi, I emailed you the other day looking for maps with road for Nova Scotia , Parrsboro and Amherst area.

I think you have done alot of work on these. WOW I am amazed. I am new to GPS , I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx . and the basemap that came on the unit sucked. I was going to get the CD for Canada but I came across this forum and read alot of intresting stuff. I downloaded the Topomaps112.exe. and WOW

I would like to congratulate you on how good it is. I live in Parrsboro, A little town with a population of about 900 peopel. and the maps show alot of info including town hall, Musum, abito. etc.. only think is no raods from Amherst down to Parrsboro or Turo to Parrsboro. I understand you will be updating that in the future. Great.. will I have to download the whole exe file again? no probs if I do just wondering if I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Again Thank you for such a great product. Do you have a paypal account? I would like to send you a little somethink for your hard work.

Rusty

Parrsboro

Hi, I emailed you the other day looking for maps with road for Nova Scotia , Parrsboro and Amherst area.

I think you have done alot of work on these. WOW I am amazed. I am new to GPS , I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx . and the basemap that came on the unit sucked. I was going to get the CD for Canada but I came across this forum and read alot of intresting stuff. I downloaded the Topomaps112.exe. and WOW

I would like to congratulate you on how good it is. I live in Parrsboro, A little town with a population of about 900 peopel. and the maps show alot of info including town hall, Musum, abito. etc.. only think is no raods from Amherst down to Parrsboro or Turo to Parrsboro. I understand you will be updating that in the future. Great.. will I have to download the whole exe file again? no probs if I do just wondering if I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Again Thank you for such a great product. Do you have a paypal account? I would like to send you a little somethink for your hard work.

Rusty

Parrsboro

Most likely you'll have to download the whole thing again. I'm working on an updater, which will allow you do just download the updated tiles, but in all likelihood, it won't be ready before the next version. You shouldn't need to uninstall and reinstall, but it doesn't hurt to do so.

There is a link on my site (http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo) to "Make a Donation"

Dale

I'm currently working on see if I can get routing to work (nothing available yet), and I'm looking for some feedback.

I'm making some good progress, but there are some definite problems which are going to be difficult, if not impossible for me to overcome.

1. It is questionable whether I'll ever be able to get it to route successfully in Mapsource (although routing on the GPS is likely still an option).

2. The routes generated are rarely 'right' they will frequently direct you the wrong way down one way streets etc. For example, on a 'test route' from my house to the University of Calgary, every turn is wrong, directing you to drive on the wrong side of the road, take turns off of overpasses, and go down the on ramp rather than the off ramp, but it does tell you to drive on the right roads.

3. Road names and addressing still won't be present. Have to wait for the data to be made available at geobase (or elsewhere) to get this to work.

How useful would autorouting be in the above context?

How useful would autorouting be in the above context?

Personally, I already have Garmin's City Navigator N.A. for routing. Your maps are useful for the topographic and other info. that CN doesn't provide (and I don't want to pay for).

So, routing in your maps isn't important at all to me, but I can see that it might be something that those who don't what to pay for maps might use.

My vote is to spend the time working on some of the other things that you've mentioned; improved installers and such.

Currently on a 'hole filling expedition'. When thats complete (probably be a few days for the compile to run), I'll post a new version. Coverage is greatly expanded since the last version, including large parts of the maritimes, replacement of the Alberta tiles, more in Manitoba. Also updates to the base map, including a county map of the US, and lots of POIs in Canada for reference (not Canada wide yet, but its a start).

coverage.jpg

Currently on a 'hole filling expedition'. When thats complete (probably be a few days for the compile to run), I'll post a new version. Coverage is greatly expanded since the last version, including large parts of the maritimes, replacement of the Alberta tiles, more in Manitoba. Also updates to the base map, including a county map of the US, and lots of POIs in Canada for reference (not Canada wide yet, but its a start).

coverage.jpg

Will it include roads for NB??? (Please, Please???)

coverage.jpg

It should do. Now that I have a version of the compiler that will run on my local machine, its not such a PITA to do updates to already processed tiles.

I've left my computer at home building the tiles. They should more or less be ready to compile by the time I get home (actually they are probably mostly ready now, but I'm not at home, so can't compile them from here!)

I've also left the compiler running filling in 'holes'

This version of the maps will also likely be in line to use TYP customization for those of you with the know how. (allows you to define how the maps will appear on your GPS)

The compile for this is currently running. It took me *WAY* longer than I expected to download the Toponym information for the area (detailed information on what all the individual points on the map actually are, rather than just "River Feature" etc.).

Hopefully this will be done by tonight.

Just getting ready to compile the installer for the newest version, and I noticed that I seem to be missing the outlines for the maritime provinces from my basemap. Going back to my source file, it seems not to be the source I was originally looking at, and its missing several provinces.

Could someone who has an older copy confirm for me that I did in fact at one point *have* the outlines for the maritime provinces? If you do notice that they are on there, could you please e-mail me the NTDBData.img file out of your \program files\topomaps folder?

I have backups of old versions in various places, but none of them are overly easy to get at.

Dale

d a t k i n a t i b y c u s d o t c o m

Its going to be a little longer than I'd expected/hoped for the next version. The installer has grown to over 2GB and the installer package I wanted to use isn't happy about that :laughing:.

There is a work around, but I have to figure out the best way to do it.

Dale

I have uploaded version 1.3 to the website.

The install proceedure for this one is slightly different than for previous versions.

Firstly, this version is for the moment only an update. It requires a previous version in order to work correctly (this will change when I do the final release, but figured some of you wouldn't want to wait).

For the moment its only available on the PC. The Mac version will follow (if I forget, please harass me about it.).

The proceedure is as follows:

1. Download and run http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

2. Click "Check for updates"

Please note, if you don't let it finish, you may have trouble uploading any of the updated maps you your GPS, but you should be able to kill it and restart it where you left off at pretty much any time throughout the proceedure.

I've also abandoned "Mapcenter" to compile my maps. There are numerous reasons for this (got complaints I was hogging it, managed to crash it a couple of times, the version I was using was going read-only, and the new version wasn't as easy to script uploads to, and didn't give you control over the IMG filename it created). Linux/Unix users can download a full listing of the IMG files from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/filelist.lst .

All of the IMG files are located under http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/ directory on my website (so if you want to download an individual tile, or a subset of tiles you can manually do it from there).

This is still a very early release, so I'm expecting problems. I hope any of you who have problems will report them back to me.

Dale

Anyone living (or planning to visit) South eastern BC (specifically anywhere east of 120W) might want to delay downloading. Just noticed I missed out the roads in BC on any tiles starting with 082 and 083. I'm in the process of fixing this right now.

I ran the procedure, but the tiles that were missing in Ontario (Parry Sound, Killarney) are still missing. I only ran 'MapUpdate' and clicked 'Check for Updates'. Did I miss another step, or are these holes yet to be filled? Thanks again.

Ted.

Can you give me some specific numbers/coordinates for the tiles you're looking for?

I can see about moving these up in my priority of 'tiles to process'.

Dale

Can you give me some specific numbers/coordinates for the tiles you're looking for?

Dale

It looks like the download worked for me as I have ver. 1.31. I had stopped the download twice and the next time I ran the updater, it seemed to resume where it left off without any problem.

Sorry I don't know the tile #s, but here are co-ords (approx. centre) for the missing tiles of interest:

N45°22.000' W080°15.000'

N45°38.000' W080°45.000'

N45°52.000' W080°45.000'

N46°08.000' W081°45.000'

Thanks Dale!

Ted.

Dale

It looks like the download worked for me as I have ver. 1.31. I had stopped the download twice and the next time I ran the updater, it seemed to resume where it left off without any problem.

Sorry I don't know the tile #s, but here are co-ords (approx. centre) for the missing tiles of interest:

N45°22.000' W080°15.000'

N45°38.000' W080°45.000'

N45°52.000' W080°45.000'

N46°08.000' W081°45.000'

Thanks Dale!

Ted.

All the missing tiles from Geogian Bay thru Lake Nipissing (about 20), would be greatly appreciated !

Ed

Dale

N45°22.000' W080°15.000'

N45°38.000' W080°45.000'

N45°52.000' W080°45.000'

N46°08.000' W081°45.000'

Thanks Dale!

Ted.

Hmmm, some of those tiles seem to be mis-numbered in there. Must be a remenant of an older compile. I'll see what I can do about locating the missing tiles.

Dale

All the missing tiles from Geogian Bay thru Lake Nipissing (about 20), would be greatly appreciated !

Ed

Do you have the latest version? There should only be a couple missing in there (assuming I'm looking at the right place... can you give me some coordinates?).

Dale

I'm looking at tidying up some of the 'messy' things on the maps. Things that really serve no conceivable purpose, but are there.

For example, it was brought up to me that the "Barn / Machinery Shed" item is pretty useless. Was thinking the "Valve" item probably is too. The "Wells" are probably all way out of date too, likely nothing there....

So I guess what I'm asking you guys for is what elements shouldn't be on the maps? Are there any of the ones listed above that you actually use?

"Unnamed Place Of Worship" (=church) seems like a clutter item, at least in urban areas where there are lots of 'em. This probably belongs in the world of POIs instead, along with gas stations, restaurants, etc. Ditto "School".

"Other" is a bit mystifying, and perhaps useless without a more specific label. (Or leave it in, you could make a game out of "okay, let's guess what this next one is".)

I kind of like seeing the less common symbols, like campground, mine, ski area, etc.

"Pipeline" looks just like a road, so for that reason alone I'd remove it.

"Pipeline" looks just like a road, so for that reason alone I'd remove it.

Do you have the latest version? In 1.31 there are some major changes to Alberta (since 1.3). I recompiled the whole province, specifically to deal with roads, and the roads should be more distinctive now. (for one thing they will look good on the Colorado now).

Dale

Do you have the latest version?

Ah, no I don't; sorry for the confusion. I'm still on 1.22.

I was going to wait for the dust to settle a bit on 1.3 first. Sounds like there's some real improvements, so I may not wait much longer!

The updating process is fairly settled, I just have to get it so that it will write out the registry keys for a 'fresh install', which is why it only works for an 'update' at the moment (which is why there is no 'official link to it on the website).

Now that I've got the updater going, I plan to release updates a bit more frequently than I had been, basically when ever I process some new tiles (unfortunately Mac users may have to wait a bit between updates, but if their is an area covered in an update that they are looking for, I'll do my best to upload it).

The other nice thing about the updater, is that you only download the 'fresh' tiles, not the tiles you've already got (unless those tiles have been updated).

The idea here is that you run "MapUpdater" periodically to check for new versions.

The other thing I was concerned about is that I would need to distribute some runtimes with it to get it to work for the majority of people. Fortunately, VB6 is old enough that most computers seem to come with the runtimes standard.

**edit to add: Most (all?) of the Other/Unknown points in Alberta have been labeled in this version with what they are. Other areas will follow (Quebec will probably have to wait a while, as the Quebec tiles seem to take *forever* with all those lakes there).

Edited by ibycus

It seems I wrote a virus and didn't even know it :blink:.

Just got a report back from one user that my "MapUpdate.exe" file is "infected" with Mal/Heuri-E. I'm guessing this is caused by the program accessing the internet, and downloading files to your computer.

Rest assured, I am running up to date antivirus software on my computer, and I practice "safe surfing", so I'm relatively confident this is a false alarm on the part of the antivirus program, just to be on the safe side though I've sent a copy of the EXE file to the antivirus company (in this case Sophos) for their analysis.

There are at least a couple other threads in other forums with programmers experiencing the same problems:

Here is a recent one...

edit to remove link... didn't actually look around the site at all. Apparently it was somewhat.... ummmm riské.

Has anyone here seen similar warnings from their antivirus programs?

Dale

Edit to add a link to an Anti-Virus program's website:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyc...5FDLOADER%2EDAQ

Trend Micro has received numerous samples of this Trojan being spammed in the wild. Upon execution, it connects to a specific URL to download a file, which is detected by Trend Micro as TSPY_HAXDOR.AB.

MapUpdate does connect to a specific URL to download a file (filelist.lst), it then compares the contents of that file to the directory listing on your computer, and downloads a number of other files.

It is possible that the reason for the file being flagged was that I sent it via e-mail, which is apparently a mode of arrival for this virus.

Edited by ibycus

Got the following back from Sophos:

Hi Dale

thank you for your email. The file that you sent to us for analysis is producing a false-positive report which has now been corrected. The file triggered our generic detection Mal/Heuri-E because it contains malware-like characteristics e.g. downloading functionality. Although we have released a correction it should be noted that one way to mitigate the risk of generic detection in the future is to put a CompanyName in the resources. Currently the file only contains the filename and professionally written software tends to have significantly more resource information.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Martin Elliott

Sophos Technical Support

I'll upload a new version of the EXE later on anyways that shouldn't generate the false positive (I'm planning on a couple of updates, so don't want to risk having the next ones picked up as a virus), but I thought I'd post the above just in case I'd worried some of you with my earlier post.

I'm looking at tidying up some of the 'messy' things on the maps. Things that really serve no conceivable purpose, but are there.

For example, it was brought up to me that the "Barn / Machinery Shed" item is pretty useless. Was thinking the "Valve" item probably is too. The "Wells" are probably all way out of date too, likely nothing there....

So I guess what I'm asking you guys for is what elements shouldn't be on the maps? Are there any of the ones listed above that you actually use?

I've updated to 1.31. I have "vegetation" written quite frequently in the green areas of the maps. Look around the Radium area for a good example.

I've updated to 1.31. I have "vegetation" written quite frequently in the green areas of the maps. Look around the Radium area for a good example.

See post #105

This is one of those give and take problems.... Ibycus is using the "State Park" polygons for "Vegetation" as it looks much better than Garmin's "correct" polygon. If he does not add a label "Vegetation", then they show up as "State Park" when you look at the map.

You shouldn't see labels on the GPS. This is even one of the bigger problems... The way maps display in Mapsource and different GPS units is completely different...

Count me as a dowmload that worked. All areas missing from north Nova Scotia are there as well as roads. Great work again. With your maps my tracks show me on the roads. with the base maps I am luckey to be within 100 ft of roads.

One quick question about GPS in general. My gps locks on sats and says accuracy 9ft. is that 9ft mean it is 9ft in the 50ft radus of being accruate? I am new to GPS and do not understand it very much. Maybe this is not the right place to post this. I do not have the WAAS turned on as I do not get it up in Nova Scotia. I think I read somewhere that it only works more south?

Thanks.

Rusty

One quick question about GPS in general. My gps locks on sats and says accuracy 9ft. is that 9ft mean it is 9ft in the 50ft radus of being accruate? I am new to GPS and do not understand it very much. Maybe this is not the right place to post this. I do not have the WAAS turned on as I do not get it up in Nova Scotia. I think I read somewhere that it only works more south?

It means you should be within 9 feet of the actual location. i.e. a 9 foot radius.

You should get WAAS in NS.

It means you should be within 9 feet of the actual location. i.e. a 9 foot radius.

You should get WAAS in NS.

Thanks, Yes I did find out that WASS is on, My GPS shows a D in the sat bars when locked on and I understand now that means WAASD correction is on. (just found this out)

Rusty

I'm a little bored. I'm trying to decide what area to make some topo maps for that I can load to my Garmin GPS.

I have the data downloaded for 031, 032, 033, 034, 042, 043, 044, 052, 053, 054, 062, 063, 064, 072, 073, 074, 082, 083, 084, 092, 093, 094, 102, 103.

I've already built 082, 083, 084 (they need some work, but I can't get them to upload and replace the originals, so I'm leaving those to one side for now).

First person to reply asking for an NTS grid in the above list, I'll build the topo maps for (and put them online). Anyone have any suggestions?

This link http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/browse.do...p;decoupage=50k shows the NTS grid system for Canada, showing the areas covered by each of the above squares.

I downloaded the install program and I've got to say the maps are pretty impressive but unfortunately the roads in NewBrunswick aren't shown. I would definitely donate some cash if you could complete the roads. Many thanks though for the hard work thus far. Good job

I downloaded the install program and I've got to say the maps are pretty impressive but unfortunately the roads in NewBrunswick aren't shown. I would definitely donate some cash if you could complete the roads. Many thanks though for the hard work thus far. Good job

Funny you should mention that... http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

Run, click "Download Updates"...wait.

This should update the New Brunswick tiles. (Finally got around to it a couple of weeks ago).

Dale

I download your updates.exe, and try to run it. I get the message "MSMCOMCTL.OSR missing or corrupt.

It mean that you need that file, which is normally a normal Windows file.

You can download it here. Throw it in your c:\windows\system32\ directory (after unzipping).

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/mscomctl.zip

I can confirm that this is the problem. I've had one other person have the same problem. (most people already have this file)

I think I'm going to re-write MapUpdate so that it doesn't use this OCX anymore. (If you prefer, I can e-mail you the OCX directly, just drop me an e-mail/PM with your e-mail address).

Dale

Funny you should mention that... http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

Run, click "Download Updates"...wait.

This should update the New Brunswick tiles. (Finally got around to it a couple of weeks ago).

Dale

Its downloading like 2000 files. Is there any way just to download the tiles that I need for NB I am not really interested in downloading anything west of Quebec because I'll never use it.

Its downloading like 2000 files. Is there any way just to download the tiles that I need for NB I am not really interested in downloading anything west of Quebec because I'll never use it.

That is a limited view on life.... Your missing out on the important parts of Canada :laughing:

I don't think there is a way and it would be more work for Ibycus to make multiple versions. Be patient...

That is a limited view on life.... Your missing out on the important parts of Canada :laughing:

I don't think there is a way and it would be more work for Ibycus to make multiple versions. Be patient...

I'm not complaining for sure just it would enormously save on bandwidth. If his webupdater had some way of choosing regions of tiles to download for updating. I'm off to bed so it should be good by tomorrow.

I'm not complaining for sure just it would enormously save on bandwidth. If his webupdater had some way of choosing regions of tiles to download for updating. I'm off to bed so it should be good by tomorrow.

Bandwidth is cheap (in this case I'm already paying for it for the rest of my website)...Time is expensive.

Anyways, its mostly the issue of maintaining multiple mapsets that gets to be a pain.

Once you've got it though, you'll only need to download the updated tiles, so that should significantly save on bandwidth.

(If you're technically minded, there is a way to just download the tiles you want, but its probably more trouble than its worth..involves writing scripts and recompiling sections of the map).

Hey Ibuscus, Thanks for the NB roads update, I donated some cash as promised. More to come I'm sure as you update.

Is there a way to have the offroad trails appear darker (presently light grey) or have them a different color because they are really hard to distinguish?

Do you plan on adding street names to NB?

Do you plan on adding routing capabilities?

These are all options that I would love to have.

Edited by D0T-C0M

I download your updates.exe, and try to run it. I get the message "MSMCOMCTL.OSR missing or corrupt.

It mean that you need that file, which is normally a normal Windows file.

You can download it here. Throw it in your c:\windows\system32\ directory (after unzipping).

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/mscomctl.zip

I can confirm that this is the problem. I've had one other person have the same problem. (most people already have this file)

I think I'm going to re-write MapUpdate so that it doesn't use this OCX anymore. (If you prefer, I can e-mail you the OCX directly, just drop me an e-mail/PM with your e-mail address).

Dale

Got the file, downloading updates right now. Thanks for the help. :D

Hey Ibuscus, Thanks for the NB roads update, I donated some cash as promised. More to come I'm sure as you update.

Got it! Thanks.

Is there a way to have the offroad trails appear darker (presently light grey) or have them a different color because they are really hard to distinguish?

Does the data in Alberta look like what you want it to look like? (Alberta has tiles most up to date with my latest processing methods...NB is *slightly* out of data as far as my methods go)

I assume you are talking about on your GPS. What GPS do you use? Some have different ways of rendering than others.

Do you plan on adding street names to NB?

As soon as the data becomes available, I'll look in to making it available. (it is supposedly going to be released sometime)

Do you plan on adding routing capabilities?

Its in the plan. Its going to be difficult though, as my datasource doesn't have really enough information to correctly interpret one way streets. This includes things like areas where highways are divided, and indicated as two roads. The dataset doesn't include information about which goes in which direction, which makes it tough.

Most feasible at the moment is 'generic' routing, which will basically ignore all these 'details', and knowingly direct you the wrong way down one way streets etc., and then ask for help from locals to 'fix' the routing. (not there yet, but this is about the best I can see myself being able to do at the moment).

Dale