Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

This is fabulous!

A few things I've noticed looking over the NB map sans roads are several labels that you may want to have a look at. The map grid lines are coming up as county borders, solid black lines across waterways are shown as ferries which is good, but black tags along water edges are also showing as ferries which should be wharves (wharf). Also red lines along waterways and some inland places are listing as marine hazards, these appear to be dykes or earth berms.

Great job non the less. Beautiful detail when zoomed in to 1.5 km or closer. It looks like another update avaliable with NB roads. Must try this one and have a look.

Thanks for sharing

Ray

PS: also noticed sans roads that where bridges would be are labled trails.

Edited by RAYAR

Are you using www.geographynetwork.ca for your data? It is the easiest way to get ORN data.

-Donna G

Interesting page. I hadn't seen it before. I'm not sure how useful its going to be though. I can't see a way to download *all* of Ontario. I've been trying to get the data from http://www.lio.gov.on.ca/en/ORN.htm, which I'm guessing is probably the source for the data used on the site you mentioned (based on when the updates came out).

Most of my road data comes from http://www.geobase.ca, but apparently Ontario doesn't want their data put on there (they prefer to manage it themselves)

Interesting page. I hadn't seen it before. I'm not sure how useful its going to be though. I can't see a way to download *all* of Ontario. I've been trying to get the data from http://www.lio.gov.on.ca/en/ORN.htm, which I'm guessing is probably the source for the data used on the site you mentioned (based on when the updates came out).

Most of my road data comes from http://www.geobase.ca, but apparently Ontario doesn't want their data put on there (they prefer to manage it themselves)

If you aren't getting through using the lio email address try info-access@webmail.mnr.gov.on.ca . It looks like with geography network that you would have to specify lat longs for each tile and download them in small amounts (I tried to download the whole province & it said the file size was too big) Also, I'm not sure how up to data the geography network data is.

Also, the ORN is rolled up into the Federal NRN which should be availbale through geobase

Donna G

Edited by TheGertridgeExplorers

Hi Ibycus. It's me again.

It's noob questions and answers time again. :D

First, good news and bad news. Good news first: I downloaded http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/TopoMaps.exe (the 658 MB file). Then, I opened up Mapsource, and in the drop-down I see my regular maps, plus yours (Ibycus Topo 1.1). When I click on yours, it opens up, and I see Canada with a bunch of little rectangles all over it, which I assume is all the maps you did. When I clicked on any of them to enlarge them, I zoomed in, and in, and in, and there was nothing there. I then remembered you mentionned something about "Ctrl g", so I did it and it all appeared. :rolleyes:

And now the bad news: The only thing is that in New Brunswick (where I live and need them most) all the trails, railroads, power lines and pipelines are there along with the elevation/topography whatchamacallims are there, but no roads or highways, however these roads appear everywhere else.

And now for the questions: I am assuming I now need to download something else in order to see these roads in NB, or is it just the way it's supposed to be, or is it something else? If it is the way it's supposed to be, can I download these maps and they would over-lay ontop of my road maps already on my gps, or will they over-write what I already have in my gps?

p.s.- Sorry for being such a noob, and thanks for all your patience and all your hard work. :cool:

Edited by Stroover

And now the bad news: The only thing is that in New Brunswick (where I live and need them most) all the trails, railroads, power lines and pipelines are there along with the elevation/topography whatchamacallims are there, but no roads or highways, however these roads appear everywhere else.

Nope it shouldn't be like that. I goofed. When I add the roads, I have to do them province by province. When I did 021, I didn't think to check what other provinces it overlapped with, so I missed putting in New Brunswick roads.

I didn't notice until the map had been compiled that this was the case. I'll try to re-do 021 (with all the roads) for the next version.

I've started processing on 021, 023, 030, 040, 042, 043, 062, 085, 073, 074. I still have to add the roads for Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Ontario, Newfoundland, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta. (if anyone notices provinces that I'll need that aren't listed here, let me know...)

Edited by ibycus

I've started processing on 021, 023, 030, 040, 042, 043, 062, 085, 073, 074. I still have to add the roads for Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Ontario, Newfoundland, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta. (if anyone notices provinces that I'll need that aren't listed here, let me know...)

Yaaaaaaay!!! will you let us know when it's ready? :)

Of course :lol:. Its going to be a pretty big download though (I'm guessing ~1.4GB).

Of course :lol:. Its going to be a pretty big download though (I'm guessing ~1.4GB).

Sounds like about a 40 min download for me, that's over 1/2 MB/sec. Not bad for a semi-rural area.

I now have 1677 map sheets that are waiting to upload and compile.

Noob time again:

Assuming you meant 021 (New Brunswick), I re-installed http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/TopoMaps.exe again, thinking 021 was now on there and would over-write what I already had. Well, it hasn't changed (still no roads), so obviously there's something else I have to do to get it right.

Question: how do I now download the new 021? (would you mind copying and pasting the link so a noob like myself can have his/her life simplified without the need for a computer science degree?) :)

I now have 1677 map sheets that are waiting to upload and compile.

Nice!

I noticed on Version 1.1 that there is a missing map which covers the area around Highway 68 and Sibbald Falts. You should know which map it is; it is straight west of your home coordinates. :)

That would be 082O02... I have no idea why that map isn't in there... Its compiled and on mapcenter, but for some reason it didn't make it in to my package. (note, it actually *isn't* one of the 1677 maps waiting to be compiled...).

I'll post a link when 1.2 is available. Don't hold your breath though. The mapcenter compiler is taking quite a while on these maps, I'm guessing a couple of weeks at least.

I'll post a link when 1.2 is available. Don't hold your breath though. The mapcenter compiler is taking quite a while on these maps, I'm guessing a couple of weeks at least.

That's OK. It takes a long time to dump all of City Navigator 2008 and the Topo Maps to the GPSr so I don't want to do it too often. B)

I hear ya. I've yet to load most of these on to my GPS for just that reason. Building the mapset just takes so darned long. Eventually (once everything else is sorted out) I intend to combine some of the maps in to larger tiles (base it somewhat on size of the compiled maps). Then it shouldn't take so ridiculously long to build the mapset.

That's OK. It takes a long time to dump all of City Navigator 2008 and the Topo Maps to the GPSr so I don't want to do it too often. :(

The solution is to not put the entire continent on the card...... You don't really need it.... Your just doing it because you've bought a big card... Do you really need topo maps for Ontario?

Looks like at least for now, the possibility of getting the Ontario roads with names on it is pretty much off the table. Ontario Government wants $100 for access to the dataset. Hopefully they'll put the thing on Geobase, but I'm not holding my breath.

Who else in Ontario would be willing to trow 5-10 dollars at the problem to help make it go away?

I see no problem helping out in a small way like that!

Bryan

Looks like at least for now, the possibility of getting the Ontario roads with names on it is pretty much off the table. Ontario Government wants $100 for access to the dataset. Hopefully they'll put the thing on Geobase, but I'm not holding my breath.

The $100 dollars is for more than just roads. It gets you all of the Ontario base data. Topo data at 1:10000 in Southern Ontario & 1:20000 for the more populated areas of the North. It would cover water, roads, geographic names, provincial parks, etc. And you would then be a "distributor" meaning you could sell the data to others.

-Donna G

p.s. Like I mentioned before, the ORN roads are already rolled up into the NRN (National Roads network) which is available on geobase

Edited by TheGertridgeExplorers

The $100 dollars is for more than just roads. It gets you all of the Ontario base data. Topo data at 1:10000 in Southern Ontario & 1:20000 for the more populated areas of the North. It would cover water, roads, geographic names, provincial parks, etc. And you would then be a "distributor" meaning you could sell the data to others.

-Donna G

p.s. Like I mentioned before, the ORN roads are already rolled up into the NRN (National Roads network) which is available on geobase

The more detailed Topo data might be interesting, but but I've got right now seems pretty good.

The only problem with the roads on Geobase, is that they don't have names on them (other than numbers on the major highways). I've been looking in to the idea of trying to conflate the Geobase dataset with the StatsCan dataset (to get road names), but that's a long way off right now.

The solution is to not put the entire continent on the card...... You don't really need it.... Your just doing it because you've bought a big card... Do you really need topo maps for Ontario?

You're 100% correct. As a techno weenie I do it purely for the "cool factor". (Naturally, to a techno weenie "cool" is a relative term.) :) It's the same reason I keep every cache in Alberta in my PDA...I might end up at an event and someone will have a question about a cache in Peace River. :)

Here's a newbie again.

This is for Ibycus TOPOMaps. I live in Quebec and go fishing in the north part of the province.

I have a great need for 032G and 032F since I am trying to locate a fishing camp that I and a couple of frends built in the 80's. In them days we could reach the camp only by plane. The object now is to find all forest roads in that area we could use to drive to the lake.

Unfortunately in the nice work of Ibycus I found that 032G09 and 032G10 do not have the compiled img's.

I tried to compile myself using the build file without success.

These are a vital parts of this trip.

Help Ibyscus

Thanks

PS Since this is my first post please indicate if I used a bad method or did something wrong. :D

Welcome to the forums :D. I'll take another crack at 032G09 and 032G10. The problem with the is the line in the build.mp file that says TRESize=1500. Try upping this value to 2500, and see if that helps (if not, try making it even higher. I think the max value allowed is about 5000. (also, what version of cgpsmapper are you using? Stan just released a new one, which I think may be better at compiling these maps.)

I should add, it might be a couple of days before these compile, as I've just finished uploading another 500 or so maps to mapcenter...

Hi Ibycus, thanks for such a quick answer.

I tried with version 0092 commercial routable no go ,tried with 0093c free still no go. the compiler strats to reed the dictionary and stays at that for hours. Of course tried with TRESize=to 5000

I can wait for the next version but was just curious to learn more about compiling since I draw my own 20000 scale maps from mosaic jpeg's from the quebec topo map site

in Trackmaker, then MapDekode. Sometimes I have to use Google Earth to find those bush roads and combine evrerything in Trackmaker.

Keep up that good work you make a lot of people happy.

Just on the side. I use one of your maps and inserted one of my own tracks which showed my boat trip exactly.

Swicthed to garmin topo v2 and was 50 metres off inland after checking datum and anything else I could.

I should add, it might be a couple of days before these compile, as I've just finished uploading another 500 or so maps to mapcenter...

I tried with version 0092 commercial routable no go ,tried with 0093c free still no go. the compiler strats to reed the dictionary and stays at that for hours. Of course tried with TRESize=to 5000

0093d was just released. Might want to give it a try. (If TRESize=5000 didn't fix it, it very well might not compile on the next round...).

Another possibility, is to remove the 'vegetation' layer. The problem is that the vegetation polygons have hundreds of 'holes' in it, and cgpsmapper doesn't handle it very well. (GPSMapedit is a pretty good program for working with the mp files)

0093d was just released. Might want to give it a try. (If TRESize=5000 didn't fix it, it very well might not compile on the next round...).

Another possibility, is to remove the 'vegetation' layer. The problem is that the vegetation polygons have hundreds of 'holes' in it, and cgpsmapper doesn't handle it very well. (GPSMapedit is a pretty good program for working with the mp files)

Yes I use mapedit for those things too.It looks from Mapcenter that they did not compile either. I will give it a try in a couple of weeks cause now I have to work at shooting that nice buck you know????

This is great stuff!!! I d/n and installed a version I found, 1.10, is this the newest one available?

Thanks so much for your hard work on this!

Hey Gadget! Long time no see, buddy! Listen: don't install it yet. Wait until Ibycus uploads the newer 021 with the roads. He said it should be ready in a few weeks to a month. If you download it now, you won't get the roads and highways, and it can be confusing to use, but you can do it anyways just to see how it is, then download the good one later on.

Hi to all! First I want to thank Ibycus for his great work :D

Now to my problem:

I am new to this GPS stuff, but am thinking of buying a Vista HCx.

Anyways I downloaded the TopoMaps.exe and tried to install.

The problem is that it stops installing at about 75-80% (10830907.img) and a screen pops up saying that the "source file is corrupted".

I downloaded the TopoMaps.exe again and the same problem occured but at an erlier point in the installation(maybe about 40%)

I downloaded a 3rd time and the same thing.

I also have a Mapsource software installed.

Could the TopoMaps.exe really be corrupted or could it be something in my computer?

Has anybody else had a simmilar problem? What could i do?

Any help is apresiated!

Great work once again! Keep it up!

:rolleyes:

Hi to all! First I want to thank Ibycus for his great work :D

Now to my problem:

The problem is that it stops installing at about 75-80% (10830907.img) and a screen pops up saying that the "source file is corrupted".

I downloaded the TopoMaps.exe again and the same problem occured but at an erlier point in the installation(maybe about 40%)

Could the TopoMaps.exe really be corrupted or could it be something in my computer?

Any help is apresiated!

:rolleyes:

I would try clearing your internet cache. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here) that if you don;t clear your cache, that it doesn't actually d/n a fresh copy.

This is great stuff!!! I d/n and installed a version I found, 1.10, is this the newest one available?

Thanks so much for your hard work on this!

Hey Gadget! Long time no see, buddy! Listen: don't install it yet. Wait until Ibycus uploads the newer 021 with the roads. He said it should be ready in a few weeks to a month. If you download it now, you won't get the roads and highways, and it can be confusing to use, but you can do it anyways just to see how it is, then download the good one later on.

Hey bud! I did install the 1.10 version and your right, it's rather confusing, but very interesting. Have you actually uploaded these maps to your GPS yet?

Hey bud! I did install the 1.10 version and your right, it's rather confusing, but very interesting. Have you actually uploaded these maps to your GPS yet?

No, not yet. I'm off work tomorrow, so I'll have time to kick around the house, so I might try just for s***s and giggles. Too bad one can't put both Ibycus's topo maps in conjunction with mapsource metroguide together on a gps. Then it wouldn't matter that the roads aren't there. Or can you?

No, not yet. I'm off work tomorrow, so I'll have time to kick around the house, so I might try just for s***s and giggles. Too bad one can't put both Ibycus's topo maps in conjunction with mapsource metroguide together on a gps. Then it wouldn't matter that the roads aren't there. Or can you?

Yes you can have both maps in the GPS at the same time, but you can only view one on the screen at a time. Currently I have 4 different maps installed on my 60CX and switch between them as necessary.

Hi to all! First I want to thank Ibycus for his great work :P

Now to my problem:

Any help is apresiated!

:P

I would try clearing your internet cache. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here) that if you don;t clear your cache, that it doesn't actually d/n a fresh copy.

Thanks for the help. I cleared all my internet cache, downloaded a new copy of the TopoMaps and this time installed with no problems :( I can see the maps now :(

Thanks very much!

Hi, first of all, thanks to ibycus for the exelent job,

my question: i just downloaded the whole zone 23, everything ok until there, so now, how i upload all the subzones maps to my gps? :huh: (60csx) no idea, any help highly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Do you have a mapsource product? Did you download the installer? 023 hasn't finished compiling yet, so I'm guessing you've likely downloaded the wrong thing. (you need to download either the installer, or the 'binary image' available on mapcenter).

If you have a mapsource product, you can use it to upload the maps (just like any other map product) if you don't you'll need a program called "sendmap" available on www.cgpsmapper.com.

HTH,

Dale

Hi, first of all, thanks to ibycus for the exelent job,

my question: i just downloaded the whole zone 23, everything ok until there, so now, how i upload all the subzones maps to my gps? :blink: (60csx) no idea, any help highly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Do you have a mapsource product? Did you download the installer? 023 hasn't finished compiling yet, so I'm guessing you've likely downloaded the wrong thing. (you need to download either the installer, or the 'binary image' available on mapcenter).

If you have a mapsource product, you can use it to upload the maps (just like any other map product) if you don't you'll need a program called "sendmap" available on www.cgpsmapper.com.

HTH,

Dale

Hi , thanks for your replay.

yes, i do have mapsource, i didnt know about the installer either all the steps you need to follow in order to get your maps upload, where can i dowload the installer? maybe somone can make a "how to" to help the newbies like me, sorry for all the questions. (im a just born on the gps world)

thanks

Just go to http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo, you'll find a link to the installer there. Its about 700MB, so be prepared for a longer download.

Run the installer.

The mapset should then show up in mapsource (there is a dropdown list box in the top left hand corner where you can select which mapset you want to upload from).

The only 'snag' is that in order to get the map set to show up in mapsource, you need to go to view--> Show GPS map detail (if you haven't already done so at some point in the past)

HTH

Dale

I'm in the process of compiling the installer for version 1.2 of the mapset. It will take about another hour or so to compile (by which time, I'll be asleep).

This version includes 092, 082, 083, 084, 085, 072, 073, 074, 062, 052, 040, 042, 043 (very patchy), 031, 032, 021, 022, 023, 011.

Unfortunately, New Brunswick roads are still missing (haven't had a chance to recompile them yet).

Dale

All of these things still show on the tiles around here.

Also all of the vegetation is showing to level 2 as well.

- Some minor roads are showing up as 0xb (Major Highway Connector) and level 2. See 10821516.img as an example.

- Cutlines show to level 2. Level 0 would be OK IMO.

- Use label "cutline" for the cutlines. Without a label they display with the label "powerline".

All of these things still show on the tiles around here.

Also all of the vegetation is showing to level 2 as well.

- Some minor roads are showing up as 0xb (Major Highway Connector) and level 2. See 10821516.img as an example.

- Cutlines show to level 2. Level 0 would be OK IMO.

- Use label "cutline" for the cutlines. Without a label they display with the label "powerline".

Yeah its a pain in the butt to redo old tiles (scripting the upload is a lot more complicated). I'll try for the next version to get these ones updates (as they were obviously the first ones I did).