Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

There's no topo info over cities?

Just figured it out... Had a look at Medicine Hat, its one of the squares I'm missing. For some reason it didn't upload to the compiler website. As soon as I can figure out how to script the upload of updates, I'll be uploading a new version of all of 082 and 083.

Wow, we are now the country with the most free maps in MapCenter: 1531 and counting.

Your maps prompted me to start learning how to convert from a Garmin map to a Magellan one, since I have only a Magellan. I started yesterday by downloading AddMagMap. It seems that the starting point of the conversion is a polish format file, and I am glad to see that you have included the .pm files in your uploads. I will add to the request for 031, because this is the area that I am most interested in. Thanks.

Here are two screen shots.

Garmin's Topo50 Canada series (Dryden, Ont)

Ibycus TopoMaps (Dryden, Ont)

The detail is about the same. Garmin has road names. If you can live without the road names and Ibycus is making these maps free to DL then you would be crazy not to use them. I haven't tried to upload any to my Garmin yet, so I do not know how they look on the small screen, but I for one am very impressed with Ibycus' skill in map generating.

I will stick with my Topo50's. I already bought them, but his are as good and the price can not be beat. Good job.

As an aside. I have a Garmin Map60CSx. It comes with a 64 meg microSD chip and larger ones can be put into it. How do I upload to the chip rather than the onboard memory. Also I was told that I could load more waypoint (1000 +) on the extended memory. How?

As an aside. I have a Garmin Map60CSx. It comes with a 64 meg microSD chip and larger ones can be put into it. How do I upload to the chip rather than the onboard memory.

I was under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm on the 60CS) that the maps would upload to the microSD if it was in the GPS, and internal memory if it wasn't.

Also I was told that I could load more waypoint (1000 +) on the extended memory. How?

Have a search for how to use the POI Loader (available on Garmin's site). Basically you convert a GPX to a POI file, and upload that (then it doesn't take any waypoint memory).

Wow, we are now the country with the most free maps in MapCenter: 1531 and counting.

And there's more where that came from B).

Your maps prompted me to start learning how to convert from a Garmin map to a Magellan one, since I have only a Magellan. I started yesterday by downloading AddMagMap. It seems that the starting point of the conversion is a polish format file, and I am glad to see that you have included the .pm files in your uploads.

Its worth noting that if I hadn't, you can use GPSMapEdit to convert compiled IMG files to .mp files (although all maps at mapcenter will have the source file available)

I will add to the request for 031, because this is the area that I am most interested in. Thanks.

OK, the Quebec tiles are next on my list... I'll be doing them in English though. I'll also wait for the online compiler to catch up to me (I just re-uploaded 082 and 083 last night with new versions, and I'm waiting on 011 and 092)

As an aside. I have a Garmin Map60CSx. It comes with a 64 meg microSD chip and larger ones can be put into it. How do I upload to the chip rather than the onboard memory. Also I was told that I could load more waypoint (1000 +) on the extended memory. How?

All maps are ONLY loaded to the micro SD card. The onboard memory is NOT used for maps.

As Ibycus states. Use custom POIs to load waypoints to the card. Do a search in these forums.

The detail is about the same. Garmin has road names.

Actually Ibycus' maps have things NOT found on Topo Canada.

- Vegetation coverage (very usefull hiking and caching around here)

- Cutlines (ditto)

- Swamps/Wetlands (ditto)

- Road data is newer.

And other stuff as well.

Hi to all, exelent job ibycus, just read al the post and your doing an amazing job. maybe you can add the 23 zone to your quebec plans, i've been searching the whole network for northern maps of quebec, and nothing.

thanks 1000!!

I'll add it to the list, but it might be a little while before I get a new release out.

I've got midterms coming up over the next couple of weeks. (next release will include 092, 021, 022, 031, 032, 083 and a new version of 082, everything that was in the first release plus some of the missing squares)

Have you thought of seperating the download file into areas.

I've thought about it, but it really ups the maintenance on my end. What I'd really like to do is somehow up the bandwidth available for download. I'm thinking maybe getting it on download.com, or maybe use BitTorrent or something like that might help.

Just figured it out... Had a look at Medicine Hat, its one of the squares I'm missing. For some reason it didn't upload to the compiler website. As soon as I can figure out how to script the upload of updates, I'll be uploading a new version of all of 082 and 083.

THis actually appears to be a case in pretty well all the maps within the installer that I used. I'm seeing this behavior within 052, 072, 082, 083, and 084.

The Below images show what I see. In the First image, both screens span 072, 082, and 083. The Second image shows 084 over High Level, AB in the first screen on the left, and 052 over Dryden, ON on the second screen on the right.

southernbcabskok1.th.png

highlevelableftdrydenonhn8.th.png

I also just noticed that all POI's, though they have the correct icon, are all labelled as "Unknown". Is there any way you can default their titles based on type, instead of just saying "Unknown"?

I should also add (instead of always criticizing) that I REALLY like what you're doing here. I'm beginning to regret my purchase of Mapsource Topo, as this has much more of the useful things, like trails. Thanks alot.

BTW, I didn't see you at the Alberta GeocoinFest. I was hoping to meet you. Maybe some other time.

Edited by KFBradley

THis actually appears to be a case in pretty well all the maps within the installer that I used. I'm seeing this behavior within 052, 072, 082, 083, and 084.

In some cases, its a function of the complexity of the map. When building the maps, I have to specify something called TreSize. This basically defines how big each sub region is in a map (sub regions are important to enhance performance of the map). If the TreSize is too big, the map slows down. If TreSize is too small, the file structure can't take it, and the map won't compile. In order to get these squares, I need to

a) identify the squares with a problem

:D confirm that this *is*the problem

c) manually up the TreSize

d) resubmit

FYI,

The new one will have Medicine Hat...it wasn't a TreSize problem there.

I also just noticed that all POI's, though they have the correct icon, are all labelled as "Unknown". Is there any way you can default their titles based on type, instead of just saying "Unknown"?

I should also add (instead of always criticizing) that I REALLY like what you're doing here. I'm beginning to regret my purchase of Mapsource Topo, as this has much more of the useful things, like trails. Thanks alot.

BTW, I didn't see you at the Alberta GeocoinFest. I was hoping to meet you. Maybe some other time.

Was wondering when someone would pick up on the POI problem. I have to make some modifications to the processing program (right now, I have no way to add a static text field to an entity type)

I'm kind of on haiatus from caching right now (even let my premium membership lapse). Next event I'll likely show up at is the GeoBreakfast '08.

Can that possibly be all power lines over High Level?

Those are actually cutlines. Next time I compile them, it should be fixed.

Navaids in the middle of Calgary?

Not sure what those are, hopefully this will be cleared up when I get the above POI issue fixed

No Provincial Borders with maps?

yeah...I have to get those from another fileset. I haven't yet written the code to split the provincial boudary file by NTS square.

I'm also seeing some dirt roads showing as alleys? Specifically within the Cypress Hills SE of Medicine Hat.

I'll check and see what the source definition of those is, and if 'unpaved road' would be better (i.e. what else is included in the 'alleyway' feature type. There is limited granularity in the dataset, and I'm trying to maintain as much of it as possible.

Hmm, This is really great, but, the elevation is incorrect. Specifically 82f04 and probably more. Otherwise this is great. I'll see if I can post an example later..

Great work. :D

082, in the version currently online, is totally wrong (actually mostly wrong). All elevations are down as being in feet, even if they are in metres.

For example, if the correct elevation is 1100m, the map will think its 1100 feet. This means that it will actually come out at ~300 metres. (Although if the original file has elevations indicated as feet, they will be correct).

The upcomming version is correct.

How about an update to the Map name, so that it at least appears as Ibycus' Topo, instead of just "topo" when selecting mapsets on the GPSr. And then, how about an update that causes a massive punching glove to fly out of my monitor and hit me in the face every time I go to post to this forum?

How about an update to the Map name, so that it at least appears as Ibycus' Topo, instead of just "topo" when selecting mapsets on the GPSr. And then, how about an update that causes a massive punching glove to fly out of my monitor and hit me in the face every time I go to post to this forum?

:D

I'll try and remember to do this before my next compilation of my TDB file.

Actually I really appreciate the suggestions. They are exactly what I'm hoping to get out of this thread.

And then, how about an update that causes a massive punching glove to fly out of my monitor and hit me in the face every time I go to post to this forum?

ACME should be able to hook you up with that. Wile E. Coyote ought to be able to give you more information. It seems he deals with them a lot.

does anyone know if there's a how-to out there for making my etrex talk nicely to ubuntu? or if there isn't, maybe detail the how-to here.

I'm not that great with command line stuff, but it looks like I might have to do that.

I've dl'd all the .img I want.

I dl'd sendmap but haven't been able to figure out how to install it.

I've installed gpsbabel (version 1.2.7-1), which should be able to do the trick, but I haven't figured out how to use it.

thanks

Edited by soberrover
does anyone know if there's a how-to out there for making my etrex talk nicely to ubuntu? or if there isn't, maybe detail the how-to here.

I'm not that great with command line stuff, but it looks like I might have to do that.

I've dl'd all the .img I want.

I dl'd sendmap but haven't been able to figure out how to install it.

I've installed gpsbabel (version 1.2.7-1), which should be able to do the trick, but I haven't figured out how to use it.

thanks

Have your tried QLandkarte

bahaha. of course. qlandkarte is for feistyfawn, not dapperdrake.

I might have to upgrade. (for those of you on windows scratching your head, think of it as me having XP and the program being for Vista)

I'd actually like to avoid that hassle for a couple months though.

Edited by soberrover

I'm a noob. Is there any way I can get step by step instructions on how to go from finding the map I need to putting it on my gps? I'm not getting it. For example, when I download the map from http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.ph...=37&rgn=021 for example, where do I go from there? When I try to open the file that has been downloaded, it says "Windows cannot open this file. blah blah blah to try to find the program that created it.". :D

I'm a noob. Is there any way I can get step by step instructions on how to go from finding the map I need to putting it on my gps? I'm not getting it. For example, when I download the map from http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.ph...=37&rgn=021 for example, where do I go from there? When I try to open the file that has been downloaded, it says "Windows cannot open this file. blah blah blah to try to find the program that created it.". :wub:
I use mapsource, your probably got a CD with your garmin saying "trip and waypoint manager" install that.

I'm a noob. Is there any way I can get step by step instructions on how to go from finding the map I need to putting it on my gps? I'm not getting it. For example, when I download the map from http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.ph...=37&rgn=021 for example, where do I go from there? When I try to open the file that has been downloaded, it says "Windows cannot open this file. blah blah blah to try to find the program that created it.". :wub:

For a newbie, the easiest thing to do is probably download the installer from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo . 021 isn't in there yet, but it will be (my version has it in already). Also I should mention that 021 doesn't at the moment have the road network for new brunswick in it (which I'm guessing might be important to you). I missed adding it when I was processing the files.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy the commercial version of cgpsmapper. Looks like my access to the online compiler must have been pretty severely throttled back (I think my maps were causing other people some pretty long delays).

Its been days, and my latest set of maps is *still* compiling. I've got a back log of some 500+ tiles that I've completed and haven't even uploaded yet...At this rate it will take MONTHS to even get up to speed with the tiles that have been requested, let alone updated versions of tiles with errors in them, or expanding the coverage area.

I use mapsource, your probably got a CD with your garmin saying "trip and waypoint manager" install that.

I kinda figured I was missing something. my etrex didn't come with such a CD.

not that it would help me, being on linux, but I feel a little shafted :surprise:

I didn't get a CD with mine either. We must've gotten duped.

For a newbie, the easiest thing to do is probably download the installer from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo . 021 isn't in there yet, but it will be (my version has it in already). Also I should mention that 021 doesn't at the moment have the road network for new brunswick in it (which I'm guessing might be important to you). I missed adding it when I was processing the files.

When I click on www.ibycus.com/ibicustopo/Topomaps.msi, it says "The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Darn it all! :surprise:

When I click on www.ibycus.com/ibicustopo/Topomaps.msi, it says "The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Darn it all! :surprise:

How big is the downloaded file? Sounds like you've got a partial download...

If you don't have mapsource, you will have to use Sendmap to load the maps to your GPS. Go to http://www.cgpsmapper.com/ and download the appropriate version. (actually if you're using sendmap, then you don't need the windows installer... the IMG files will do fine)

Edited by ibycus

I kinda figured I was missing something. my etrex didn't come with such a CD.

not that it would help me, being on linux, but I feel a little shafted :blink:

I didn't get a CD with mine either. We must've gotten duped.
The lower end units dont include it, I just looked and with etrex's only the colour screens come with the CD.

I guess I'd download ibycus or cGpsMapper (or maybe garmins from a torrent site :P ).

I went and upgraded my OS to Feisty. qlandkarte is ... mostly working

my GPS will now tell my computer stuff, like showing my waypoints and tracks.

but I haven't managed to get the computer to share its info with the GPS, like uploading the .img files...

it's always something ain't it.

dadgum you murphy! (haha, stupid censor. 'dadgum'? jeez)

Edited by soberrover

ogod! it works!

I went back to trying sendmap, and managed to figure it out! now I'm able to get the .img files onto my GPS, and wow. good job! thanks!

by the way... in case anyone else is wondering how to make it work... sendmap doesn't require an installation. just download the file. I used sendmap17Lstatic.

so in terminal, type something to the effect of $ /home/sendmap17Lstatic /dev/ttyS0 -u "/home/092/G - Vancouver/10920701.img" depending of course on the location of the sendmap file, and the .img file

Edited by soberrover