Problems with new version of Google Maps

kfir

If you can let us know what it was that you liked about the old maps, we can try to make these better

:laughing: Elias

The old maps allowed me to see which caches are on one of my bookmark lists.

I prefer using the bookmark list instead of the regular PQ and the old maps made it very handy to do it.

Now I think I'll have to open each cache page to see if they're on my list. :laughing: or re-bookmark everything in an area to make sure I have everything.

I think my cache GC16BTQ

shows perfectly one of my problems with the new maps - anyone just from the map want to tell me where it is???

Is this comment in jest? Zoom out and you can see it is in the Atlantic just off the Scotland coast.

It get's stuck on "requesting geocaches..."............ For me at least

I'll join in with the silent minority in saying that I like the new maps, but only after TPTB fix the maximum search limit error. Or is it a feature? I'll probably never care about the limit in my home hunting grounds (Chattanooga, TN), but when visiting family in rural MS the limit will be a huge pain. The nearest cache to my parents' house is about 15 miles away.

And by the way, the 15-mile limit appears to be the diagonal distance, not horizontal. I live almost exactly 11 miles from work in a east-west line as the crow flies. But I can *barely* fit both work and home on the same screen without the limit error.

I didn't read every post in this thread, so I don't know if a reason was given, but I assume the limit was to reduce server load. I could see a few hundred people wanting to view all the caches in the USA at the same time and shutting the system down. In some extra-dense areas, even limited to a 15-mile search, you'll still be looking at a few hundred caches at once. I'd rather have the system limit the number of caches displayed in the area than just not show anything, just like it did before the change. Well, I'd like more than 20 at once.

This is what the Google Earth KLM does now... you can only view a maximum of 150 caches on the screen at once.

Maybe limit to a maximum of 100 or 150 caches viewable on the screen at once?

[Edit: Grammar]

Edited by J-Way

I think my cache GC16BTQ

shows perfectly one of my problems with the new maps - anyone just from the map want to tell me where it is???

While trying to look at the map for that cache, I received the following error in Opera 9.23/Win XP Media Edition:

___MapError.jpg

While trying to upload the image to this page so I could post it here, I got this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>

<system.web>

<compilation debug="true"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]

System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) +2646292

System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +214

[ViewStateException: Invalid viewstate.

Client IP: 64.209.151.229

Port: 4165

User-Agent: Opera/9.23 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)

ViewState: 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...]

[HttpException (0x80004005): Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.]

System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowError(Exception inner, String persistedState, String errorPageMessage, Boolean macValidationError) +116

System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +251

System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.System.Web.UI.IStateFormatter.Deserialize(String serializedState) +4

System.Web.UI.Util.DeserializeWithAssert(IStateFormatter formatter, String serializedState) +37

System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +220

System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +83

System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +6978

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +213

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +86

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49

ASP.my_upload_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +29

System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +303

System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

Basically, the third party software we use to serve the maps updated and forced us to update as well rather than implement a complicated workaround to keep the old maps.

Here's the answer to the question I have seen about "why did this change come on so suddenly".

Yes, posted more than a week after the new maps were put in place.

I'm quite certain that if that had been stated prior to implementation that this thread would be half as long as it is.

It would have helped a lot too, I think, and eased peoples' minds, if that had been stated up front, and also something to the effect:

"There will be some substantial changes to the map interface and because of the amount of work required to have features of the current maps with the new maps we need to prioritize them in the order of implementation. Please rate them in oder of preference and mark the ones you don't want (note, some listed are new features)

1. More than 20 caches viewable

2. Hide founds

3. Limit of 15 mile view

4. Google maps link on PG page

5. etc etc"

You get the idea....

I don't usually whine and I do appreciate all the effort to make the site better but....the new maps are useless. I prefer the old maps where the caches were listed on the right and numbered to the waypoints on the map. Makes for better printouts from screen shots.

I DO like the check box's for excluding cache types, found caches, and caches own. Can this feature be implemented with the old maps and located at the bottom of the page out of the way?

i like the old map to, with the list on the side. i would print this out. cant do that now. i am also having a problem with the map not refreshing when i pan to a new area

renee

I'd really appreciate it if you'd return to the ability to click on the google map icon from the PQ list in order to preview the PQ results on a map. I don't really care whether you use the new version of google maps or the old one, I'd just like that functionality back. Right now there's just a big blank spot where the icon used to be, right next to the preview-in-list icon.

Mac 10.4

Safari 2.0.2

Thanks.

I was impressed when I saw them yesterday for the first time. I don't usually use the map to do cache planning because of the 20-random-cache limitation of the display, but this time I could actually target a region of the town that I wanted to go to and see all the caches in that area, not just a handful randomly popping up when I scrolled.

I think the keyword here is "town", if you plan a trip to a more rural area you will feel some of the pain being voiced by the community with respect to the 15 mile limitation. I am currently planning a trip to Maui and the waypoints are not as concentrated as they are in downtown Honolulu, so it becomes quite a chore to keep zooming in and out and panning and zooming and zooming and panning. It's taking precious time and I'm starting to become annoyed. I guess I should have started my planning weeks ago (then I could have been finished in 15 minutes instead of taking over an hour. It seems that the convenience has been sucked out of the mapping software.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Here's my opinion:

1. I'm a rural user in Northern Minnesota, 15 mile limitation is a joke and just serves to make problems for me.

2. The old maps seemed fast, easier to read and more stable. I've been locked up many times on these new maps.

3. Many users have asked for a preference choice of maps, I echo that request. Allow us to choose our maps.

Zebra61

:laughing: Obviously I'm not the only one having problems with the new Google maps. In my opinion, the new maps are worse than useless. I geocache in areas where there may only be 3 or 4 caches in a 20 mile radius. With the old maps, I could zoom out far enough to see larger numbers of caches in these remote areas. Now, I get the error message, "Your search was larger than 15 miles. Please zoom in closer." Also, the cache lists are not as user friendly and the cache type legend on the right (replaced the cache list) is worthless. Please return to the old maps or at least give us the choice between the old and new. I tried to email Groundspeak directly about the new maps and was referred to this forum. I hope that Groundspeak actually monitors these posts. If not, a lot of people are wasting a lot of time and effort.

I like the new maps overall and will like them better as the "old features are introduced again.

One thing that I noticed (not the end of the world but I didn't see it reported) is that not all of the caches that I have found are showing that I have found them.

The regular cache icon for some caches I have found is showing instead of the "found it face" as I pan across the maps.

Thanks Groundspeak for all you folks do and put up with keeping this site up and running.

Ok, update time.

<snip> Basically, the third party software we use to serve the maps updated and forced us to update as well rather than implement a complicated workaround to keep the old maps. The result is the "new" Google maps you see now . . .

<snip>

Let me repeat that: Over time we will return as many as possible of the cool features you enjoyed with the old map. I recognize that this has inconvenienced some of you and for that I'm really sorry.

I appreciated the update, but as the complaints keep coming in, I'm curious just how bad that "complicated workaround" would have been? :laughing:

Would it have been worse than what the staff is having to go through now . . . ? :laughing:

Since the new maps came up, I have had nothing but trouble with them. :laughing: They keep freezing up one me. I also keep having trouble printing of my cache papers. What I always use is no longer there. I like to print off the caches with logs. When I use the other print type. I cann't get it all to print off. :laughing:

As I said on the other thread the new version as it stands is purely dreadful because it just plain isn't working. I am going away tomorrow and can't investigate caches on the route or at my destination tonight before I go. A weekend away wasted on the caching front.

The "more than 15 miles" is driving me bonkers. I am halfway through planning a New Zealand trip and now cannot find the clusters of caches by grabbing the map and pulling it around. I have done 1/4 of the country and am despairing of completing the rest before I go. Halfway round the world and I can't go caching unless this system is debugged very quickly.

BRING BACK THE OLD SYSTEM, possibly with the new cache icons until the new system is working properly. What we have at the moment is a total dogs dinner.

Disgusted

Near Tumbridge Wells

I hope that Groundspeak actually monitors these posts. If not, a lot of people are wasting a lot of time and effort.

I hope so too Rubicon. Groundspeak & Geocaching.com flubbed on this one. The changes to these maps have effectively ruined caching for me. Using the maps was the quickest and most effective way to chart a course for my weekend. The 15 mile restriction just strangles the usefulness of Google Maps on the site. I've also noticed that searches take longer on the new maps.

I'm just disappointed that the usefulness of the maps has been degraded. Certainly this wasn't the original intent, but judging the from comments on this forum the changes aren't being well-received.

Hopefully the group at Groundspeak is monitoring and making plans to increase the effectiveness of the Google Map interface.

Zebra61

I like the new layout but I prefer a hybrid of this and the first non-google map. A list of the caches on the screen under the map so I can highlight the pins and see the 2 react. The filtering of this map rocks but an overview list of caches below would make it a hundred times better.

Good progress!

This is probably FAQ already but once I show or hide the cache listing thing the other popups on the cache pins no longer work.

On another note, maybe the popup on the push pins should be a mouse over so I don't have to click to open and click to close... :laughing:

One more note, cache listings link does not reflect current filter view, but original view...

Edited by GeoBlank

Basically, the third party software we use to serve the maps updated and forced us to update as well rather than implement a complicated workaround to keep the old maps. The result is the "new" Google maps you see now, containing the bare minimum of features. Our goal is to integrate all of the old features you loved into this new map as well as some cool new ones (e.g. view your caches along a route).

There aren't enough details here for us to really understand what happened behind the scenes. Judging from the period of time that gc.com was flipped back and forth between old and new versions, you couldn't have been held hostage by the third party software too much since there was at least a month there where you started using the new and then flipped back to the old.

If I was running gc.com, I would have stuck with the old version of the site until the new mapping features where on par with the old mapping features. I don't mind the dozens of little bugs about freezing and checkboxes that don't stick. What I really mind is losing major features like mapping a PQ.

Please switch back until the old and new versions of the mapping are much closer in feature sets.

I usually use the maps to go to a specific waypoint, generally a puzzle cache that has been figured out, and that shows where it is in relation to other caches in the area. This still works sort of. It still will bring up the map, but there used to be a box you could click that put a pin on the map where the reference point was (in my case, the puzzle cache). I might be missing something, but I have not been able to get the reference point pin to show up on the new version of the maps. The map is definitely less useful if we can't put the reference point on it.

If you can let us know what it was that you liked about the old maps, we can try to make these better

:anitongue: Elias

The old maps allowed me to see which caches are on one of my bookmark lists.

I prefer using the bookmark list instead of the regular PQ and the old maps made it very handy to do it.

Now I think I'll have to open each cache page to see if they're on my list. :D or re-bookmark everything in an area to make sure I have everything.

The one thing that I miss most on the new map, is the ability to click on the icon to add the cache to a bookmark. It seems now you have to open each cache before you can add it to a bookmark. Other than that, the new maps seem to work well for us.

Edited by bob8bear

The one thing that I miss most on the new map, is the ability to click on the icon to add the cache to a bookmark.

YES! That is the worst thing about this new system in my mind. Being able to draw the map out over say, the whole downtown section of Orlando and then just bookmarking all the caches and uploading to GPS was soooo nice.

Clicking them one at a time after having the other ability is frustrating...

I agree, but the 15 mile limit is tough for people out in the boonies like myself. Try this: do a search for caches in the area of Rugby, ND (Zip: 58368) and see what I mean. Now this might seem like an extreme for some of you but it's typical for me.

Zebra61

Edited by zebra61

I found a bug with the fix for non-sticking checkboxes. It appears that they are shown and then hidden >_>. The problem is in the hiding code: If there is a cache you both own and have found (ex: adopted) then it will show if the "Hide My Finds" option is checked.

Let me quantify the rural cashe problem. I live in Montana. Within a 100 mile radius from my zip code there are only 500 caches. Thats a total area of 31400 square miles. that equals 1 cache every 60 square miles on averave. This also means that with a 15 mile limit I can only see 225 square miles. That means I will have to move the screen 140 times with no overlap to see the closest 500 caches. This is made very dificult by the fact that about every 5th move it freezes up.

In addition there are not very many huge roads in Montana so as you zoom and past 15 miles the small roads disapear at about the same time the cach icon disappears.

Granted I love the feature that allows all the caches in an area to show up. What i would like to see is a feature that allows me to hide my found caches and aoutmacly zoo out to see the next 20 caches out.

Zip Code 59715

Edited by rustynickle

I like the new maps, except I miss the ability to view bookmarked caches.

I just got a chance to see the new/old maps and, the ability to bookmark caches from the map was a feature I used a lot. Sure would like that to come back.

Edited by 2dogsbarkin

Hi!

Some of the problems with the new maps have been fixed already but the biggest of them all is still there:

The 15 miles limit

As long as this is fact the new map still remain kind of useless in many areas around the world and make life much harder as it could be.

Another problem still being there is the small size of the map. I own 2 24" displays and it would be nice to see the map at least in double hight as it can be shown right now. I understand that this might be hard as I think it also has something to do with the 15 miles limit in some way as a larger map means a larger area as well.

Please do something here!

bye,

Christian

Three features I used a lot in the old maps. Can you tell us if they will be added to the new ones, and if so, an ETA.

1. Access from PQ's

2. Caches listed down the side linked to the cache icons

3. Greater than a 15 mile limit

The above 3 features I use a LOT. I'd say they were the one's I really depended on and why I used google maps exclusively.

Other than the three listed, I'm fine with the new maps, I can even deal with the small icons.

Thanks.

We just sat down to plan our caching for the weekend. We can't. These new maps are totally useless, at least the way we've been accustomed to. Not having the list on the right side. Not being able to zoom in/out freely. Where can we find a tutorial on using the new map and what it's benefits (none in my opinion) are? We would really like an option to use the earlier style maps. :unsure:

We just sat down to plan our caching for the weekend. We can't. These new maps are totally useless, at least the way we've been accustomed to. Not having the list on the right side. Not being able to zoom in/out freely. Where can we find a tutorial on using the new map and what it's benefits (none in my opinion) are? We would really like an option to use the earlier style maps. :unsure:

I'll chime in here -- I posted already on a different thread, but I want to make sure this is seen --

I regularly use the maps to find caches, but I can't do that now. The area where I am just doesn't have that many caches, and the new map layout won't show me ANY caches unless I zoom down to smaller than 15 miles. When I do that, no caches are within my search area. It's about like a drunk stumbling around in the dark to find something on these new maps.

I'll chime in here -- I posted already on a different thread, but I want to make sure this is seen --

I regularly use the maps to find caches, but I can't do that now. The area where I am just doesn't have that many caches, and the new map layout won't show me ANY caches unless I zoom down to smaller than 15 miles. When I do that, no caches are within my search area. It's about like a drunk stumbling around in the dark to find something on these new maps.

I agree. Totally useless. I used the old maps frequently....loved the ability to pan and see caches along a route or to see a cluster of caches in a concentrated area. Now I see one cache- just one cache...and I'm back to the early days of taking hours to plan caches along a route for a trip.

Bring back the old maps, PLEASE!

Please Groundspeak!

THIS SUBJECT IS IMPORTANT TO MANY OF US!

Are you listening to your users?

Do you have anything to say about this subject?

Are you going to respond?

Will you tell us what we can expect in the future?

Isn't there someone with authority that can respond to our posts and enter into this discussion?

It would be nice to hear from them. Zebra61

Don't care for the new map.

I don' have the time to search through every post but I am sure

it has been mentioned that it take 4 times longer to create a

bookmark list from the google map now it had me so frustrated

I have not gone out to do any caching since the launch.

Please someone contact me if I have missed something here.

:blink: I liked that I could preview a PQ in Google Maps - I can't anymore

I liked that I could zoom out as far as I wanted to and now I'm limited to 15 miles

I liked that there was a side bar that showed the 20 closest caches to the center point and I could click on any of them and get the info for it.

I liked the speed of the old map

I liked the fact that you could see the cache icon on the map! They're tiny and I can't see them!

This new version is absolutely useless and I can't understand why GC would change something and in effect downgrade.

Really irritating. :blink:

I'm pretty new but I have to also say - I did like some/most of the features of the "old" versions. It made it easy to plan outings and gather information. This new one is worthless - I do understand progress and perhaps the rants and wishes of this thread will win over.

I need to find out where to post about some of the other changes surely I'm not the only one that can't post a placement of TBs... I'll keep looking..

Thanks for the efforts to seek out and make improvements, it is a tireless effort that often goes unappreciated especially when the outcome isn't the same as it was anticipated. Keep up the great work this site rocks!

I'm with Dwoodford:

What map?

When I click on Geocaching.com Google Map from a cache page or a benchmark page, I get an empty box where the map should be.

Mozilla 1.7.11 on Windows 98SE.

Edit to add:

Same problem with

Mozilla 1.7.13 on Windows XP Pro SP2

Edited by msrubble