New Vista HCx

dropthehammer

I've owned a few GPSr's now, (etrex) but am not a power user. When i got my vista several years ago, i remember someone told me to set it outside for awhile to get a regional 'calendar update' or something to that effect.

Just recieved my new Vista HCx. What should i do to get it ready?

Also, for the plain old Vista I had purchased MapSource. Just after i got my Vista, the Vista C came out. IIRC, I was told at that time that the MapSource I have for the Vista would not work with the Vista C or Vista xxx models. Is this true?

I would like to get some Topo maps loaded on it. What is the recommended SW to buy for topo?

Guessing i am further ahead to buy a cheap microSD card and load it up myself than any prepackaged cards offered.

I have never heard of a 'calendar update' ...

When I got my Vista CX I just did my own personalization to it ... ie, page order, select data fields, load up some waypoints, custom POI, etc. The Garmin website had a firmware update for it, so I downloaded that. I had an older version of MapSource MetroGuide from 2002 that I used with an old Garmin GPS V. After another update from Garmin, it worked fine on my Vista CX. It's worth a try anyway. I got a 1GB card on ebay for $15 shipped - I thought it would be better to go that way rather than buy a pre-loaded card. I'm pretty sure TOPO 2008 can be had on Amazon for $60. I don't own any of Garmin's TOPO products though so I can't speak for them. There is a method of downloading contour data from the usgs website and converting it to maps you can load up in your GPSr. It works and can give you better contour detail than the 1:100,000 topo products, but it's a pretty cumbersome process.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps calendar was not the proper term. It was some type of calibration that had something to do with differential signals. The procedure was to find a place where differential/WAAS bird 35 was received and let the GPSr sit in that place for awhile.... Don't remember much more than that.

Also, I am interested in getting a screen protector film on this right away. Wheres the best place to get a robust one? Should i just get a readily available PDA film and cut it to fit??

For topo you should get Mapsource Topo 2008. Your current Mapsource should work (Metroguide I assume?). If you want it to do autorouting on your unit I understand that there is a 3rd party freeware that you can use to accomplish this. I'm sure someone can fill you in on that. Maps and database will be a bit out of date, but still usable.

If you want it to do autorouting on your unit I understand that there is a 3rd party freeware that you can use to accomplish this.

I'd be interested in that.

Try Geodude. There are others, but I used this program to install MetroGuide v5 to my Vista HCx. Maps are outdated and address finder don't work well, but since I navigate by selecting waypoints, it gets the job done.