Abandoned TB

montyfox

I have searched through this forum and have found all kinds of ways to adopt a travel bug where both parties are willing; but what about adobting TBs that have been abandoned by the owner?

I have found a TB that has completely disintegrated and the only thing left of it is the dog tag. I have tried multiple times to contact the owner asking if they would like the dog tag sent back to them but have never receieved a response. If fact, the last time they even logged on to gc.com was back in July. They have been a member since June 2006 but have only logged 29 finds.

I will keep trying to contact the owner, but in the mean time I would like to know if it is possible to adobt a TB without the owner's involvement? I don't want to steal the TB, but I'd also hate to see it die just because the owner dropped out of the game. What is the protocol here? Does the TB die with the owner?

Thanks.

I understand your desire to help out, but consider this: The owner may just be an infrequent participant in this activity, and the lack of a response to your emails is not a justification to hold onto his/her travel bug beyond the normal time limit. The tag can still travel with the remains of the TB in a ziplock bag, if necessary.

You cannot adopt it without the owner's approval. Adoption is done by both parties agreeing to it.

I recently found and moved a Bug that not only had no Bug attached to it, it no longer had the Groundspeak dogtag. It still existed only as a laminated copy of the dogtag. When I logged it the Bug's homepage explained how the Bug itself (a small plush toy) had worn away long ago, and the dogtag had been damaged.

It soldiers on, kind of like my grandfather's hatchet - my dad replaced the handle and I replaced the head.

Edited by alienbogey