PDAless & CLUEless

I am relatively clueless about how to go "paperless" caching. Therefore, I am asking for guidence of what to buy, both in hardware and software. I do understand that there are several brands and models from which to choose, as well as different software programs. I would like to know what you bought and why, to include the things you don't like about your own PDA or any others. Any and all feedback(especially E-Mail) will be greatfully appreciated.

/\/(°w°)\/\

Edited by Fledermaus

I currently have a PocketPC and Palm unit. Personally I prefer the pocket PC but that is just for the non geocaching related stuff I do with it. For the most part they do the same job. The combination that I have found that works best for me(being new to geocaching) is the following, and I'm sure that other stuff works for other people.

I started out with a Sony Clie(palm OS) with cachemate(8$ for registered copy) and GSAK(25$). With GSAK I could manage the caches I wamted in multiple databases and export the data to both my eXplorist 500 and PDA. The Magellan does have some built in geocaching info however not nearly as good as cachemate.

I currently have a Toshiba E350 Pocket PC. I run the same GSAK configuration with GPXSonar(free) I tried Cachemate PPC but I found the interface for GPXSonar a little more user definable. I have also found that with MS Streets and trip there is a plugin to export Pocket Street maps, which allow maps on the pocket pc with pushpins for caches. Handy when you're wondering what side of a river/highway a cache is.

I found that both work well, there is definitely a learning curve! I would say that the Palm OS is probably easier to navigate. And you can probably find an older style Palm black and white for about 25$ which should allow you to store most of you local caches and then if you find it useful you can upgrade to a more powerfull, feature rich device. There's probably other combinations out there that work just as well as the one I've described, but this works for me. I am also very comfortable with technology and would probably consider myself a geek. lol This place is incredible for support so whichever way you decide to go, I'm sure you will be able to find your answers here.

I have a Palm M500 for caching. It has a monochrome screen and is easy to see, even in bright sunlight, which cannot be said for some of the color units. It connects to a computer with USB, which is an important consideration. I don't recommend getting an older Palm that has a Serial Port connection.

I have an inexpensive hard case for the Palm and installed Cachemate. I use GSAK on my PC and Export the data for Cachemate from it. I also send the waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might be helpful. :shocked:

I have a Palm M500 for caching. It has a monochrome screen and is easy to see, even in bright sunlight, which cannot be said for some of the color units. It connects to a computer with USB, which is an important consideration. I don't recommend getting an older Palm that has a Serial Port connection.

I have an inexpensive hard case for the Palm and installed Cachemate. I use GSAK on my PC and Export the data for Cachemate from it. I also send the waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might be helpful. :laughing:

Similar, I have an M515, GSAK and Cachemate. Never had a problem.

A good place to start is Right Here.

I'm using my Treo 650 smartphone (Palm OS) along with cachemate.. an effective combo :laughing:

PPC's are good too, if you already have one. If you're buying a PDA *just* for the purpose of Geocaching then I'd personally suggest choosing a Palm based model, as they're comparably cheaper & easier on batteries than a similar PPC

Just Chiming in. I have a Palm M500 Love it but it does not work with my new laptop and vista windows. So keep in mind getting a PDA for paperless caching that is vista compatible. I need a new pda now and am looking at the Palm Z22. Inexpensive but perfect for the average cacher.