Carrying case for Etrex Legend/Vista HCx

fujitsu

Hi!

I don't know if this is the right place to put this topic.

Well I would like to buy a carrying case for my new etrex legend HCx. Does anyone know if the garmin carrying case for the etrex family shows all the screen of the color models?

I have a carrying case for my old Legend (blue) but it doesn't show all the screen of my new Legeng HCx. It's narrower than the screen. I don’t know if the new carrying case is larger.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Thank you

AA

Can't tell you about the Garmin cases but I can warn you off the Gilsson neoprene cases, they are really rubbish.

I gave up on the idea of a case and instead went for the invisible shield to protect the screen. Whatever case you get you will never get a combination of easy button use and proper visibility of the screen.

Go with the Invisible Shield; down the road you'll be glad you did. It does an excellent job of protecting the screen from scratches and is lifetime guaranteed and they will stand behind their guarantee.

Be aware of a problem using a screen protector with any case that has a clear plastic window to view the GPS thru. A year ago there were several posts on this forum on how the clear plastic window of the GPS case will stick to a screen protector (posts usually referred to the Invisible Shield) so bad that you have to pry them apart very very carefully... can't get GPS out of case. Some owners tried using all sorts of things to prevent them from sticking together, some I remember were baby powder, silicon, and seems like someone tried something else, also. Bottom line just don't use both together.

As far as cases, personally I like a mobile phone case that has a velcro closure on the top that can be attached to a belt. Velcro makes it easier to put in and out of the case and still holds it in case securely. I found one that fits my 60CSx perfectly. I feel sure with a little shopping, with GPS in hand, that you could find one for the Etrex line that would fit it nicely and be reasonable in price, if you wanted to go this route.

edited:

My mobile phone case lools like it might fit the Etrex line perfectly. I bought it at Kmart for about $10.00 It is black cordura material, has a chrome plated belt clip plus a very secure belt loop, a metal ring that could be used to secure to a backpack, elastic sides that can expand, and an elastic pencil holder on 1 side. The top of the case velcros over the top and has a 2 piece small black plastic snap closure like the type used on ski vests for addtional security. The height adjustment is very accomadating since the top velcros over. I never use the 2 piece snap. My Motorola cell phone measure 2" wide x 3 3/4" tall x 1" thick and fits perfectly, not to tight but not loose either and is easy to remove quickly and don't have to look at it to put it back in the case when on my belt. Granted, you couldn't operate or see your GPSr while in the case but would do a good job of protecting it and is very user friendly and would dry quick it if gets wet.

Edited by eaparks

The Garmin case with the plastic window does fit the HCx models, convering only a bit of the screen. That being sid, however, the "window" really reduces the readability of the screen - at least on the old B&W versions - so much so, I stopped using mine. I just tried it for fit on the HCx, but don't use it. I've got an Invisible Shield on the way...

I personally use the Invisible Shield on my Legend CX. My brother uses the Gillsson case on his, and loves it. The Garmin case covers too much of the screen to my liking. The reason my brother likes the Gillson case so much is that he just straps it to the handlebar of his mountain bike, and off he goes. The fact that the case is not locked solidly to the handlebar allows the GPS to swing just a bit freely, reducing shock on the gps. I personally attach my gps to the handlebar of my atv using the garmin mount. It is a good solid setup, but because it is so solid, the gps takes all of the shock with with virtually no absorbtion from a case or flexible mount. But it is easier to read than when it's in a case. Advantages to both I guess.

I personally use the Invisible Shield on my Legend CX. My brother uses the Gillsson case on his, and loves it. The Garmin case covers too much of the screen to my liking. The reason my brother likes the Gillson case so much is that he just straps it to the handlebar of his mountain bike, and off he goes. The fact that the case is not locked solidly to the handlebar allows the GPS to swing just a bit freely, reducing shock on the gps. I personally attach my gps to the handlebar of my atv using the garmin mount. It is a good solid setup, but because it is so solid, the gps takes all of the shock with with virtually no absorbtion from a case or flexible mount. But it is easier to read than when it's in a case. Advantages to both I guess.

I switched from the Garmin mount to the RAM mount for my 60CSx on my ATV just because I was concerned about the shock. The RAM mount with the handlebar mount eliminates most of the shock. By having 2 rubber balls as part of the mount and by having the RAM arm laying in a horizontal plane it does a good job of eliminating the shock to the GPSr. If something by chance does hit the GPSr accidentially then by using the ball mounts it does have the ability to move without damaging anything. Yes, the RAM mounts are a little pricier than the Garmin mounts but are well constructed, and do add a higher degree of protection to the GPSr from shock or if something were to hit the GSPr, or in a rollover situation.

The Garmin case fits okay with the Vista HCx, but some slight interference with the lower side buttons, and hard to see through the plastic window. I recommend putting the Invisible Shield on the unit, then cut the plastic window out of the Garmin case, and use it like that. This seems like the best compromise for a protective case.

I use Gilssons for an older GPS V and a Vista Hcx - both are made well and I've actually been quite satisfied; the case for the GPS V is several years old and is holding up well. The windows add glare, but it is a cover, after all(!). I only use the cases when I'm on foot, so seeing through the window isn't an issue, though it would be while driving...

Edited by JeepinCalifornia

I really hate the see-through cases for many of the reasons already discussed in here. What I use is the Garmin holster for the eTrex line. It's basically a fully protecting case that clips on the belt, but you pull the unit out to use it. It's quick and easy to use, protects the unit, but leaves the unit free to access all the controls when you're using it. It may not be right for everyone, but I love it. Wish I could find a counterpart for my 60CSx Here's a link to it on Amazon.

Edit: I just followed my own link to test it and I noticed a single review where the user says it doesn't fit the Cx versions of the eTrex line. Since I've been using it with a Vista C, I can't speak to that of my own experience yet. However, I have in shipping now a new Vista HCx and another holster so I'll know in a couple of days. I'll post the result here.

Edited by Grinch & Gremlin

I really hate the see-through cases for many of the reasons already discussed in here. What I use is the Garmin holster for the eTrex line. It's basically a fully protecting case that clips on the belt, but you pull the unit out to use it. It's quick and easy to use, protects the unit, but leaves the unit free to access all the controls when you're using it. It may not be right for everyone, but I love it. Wish I could find a counterpart for my 60CSx Here's a link to it on Amazon.

Grinch & Gremlin

The counterpart for the 60CSx of what you are using for your Etrex is made by CLC. I use it for my 60CSx and like the way it holds and protects it. The case has over the top velcro closure, chrome plated metal belt clip, and a large belt loop. Case is made of cordura material... very durable. The style of case was originally made for the older models of Nokia mobile phones that were somewhat long and slender. Home Depot and Lowes carry similar versions of the same case now, for mobile phones and as tool holder cases. Originally they were brown with black trim and most newer ones I've seen are blue with black trim or yellow with black trim. The top flap does have to go over the top of the case at a slight angle to miss the antennae, but overall it works very well, if you like this type of setup. Costs is around $10.00.

Edit: I just followed my own link to test it and I noticed a single review where the user says it doesn't fit the Cx versions of the eTrex line. Since I've been using it with a Vista C, I can't speak to that of my own experience yet. However, I have in shipping now a new Vista HCx and another holster so I'll know in a couple of days. I'll post the result here.

Okay, my new Vista HCx and Garmin holster arrived today and I have no idea what the reviewer on Amazon was talking about. The HCx fits the eTrex holster perfectly. I have really loved this case with my older Vista C so I'm relieved it also fits my Vista HCx. Those looking for a case solution for an HCx (or any eTrex) should definitely consider this.

Edited by Grinch & Gremlin