Northern KZN Event

Wazat

:laughing: Right the story goes like this. I have been toying with the idea of going up the Majuba Mountain to do the cache up there for quite a while now. I have sparked the intrest with a few others but need to find the best time to do this one. Now Fish Eagle has confirmed that he is going to be in the area during the weekend of the 22 or 29 so I am thinking if there is enough intrest I might make it into an event. Possibly looking at the 29th October. So a show of hands. Anyone interested? I need some dates if you can't make it that weekend. Votes count.

27/28 October. Logged it as an Event. Will look at doing Majuba first in the morning of the 27th at about 8:30 to 9:00 for the start and be in Utrecht by 14:00 for the start of the Event. Pitch tents etc. and have a great braai and social. Sunday morning we can get out and search caches in Utrecht area and do a drive through the game reserve. Need to get the ball rolling here, Fish Eagle has confirmed who else will be interested. I think it is safe to say that Neville Bailey will also be there, maybe Megaben. Come guys a show of hands here.....

This sounds exciting! You can count on me being there. I will probably travel up from PMB on the Friday afternoon, so I will camp overnight on Friday night as well as Saturday night, and then travel home on Sunday afternoon after the event. Hopefully I will have some company on Friday night!

If anyone needs a lift from PMB or wants to share my tent, give me a shout.

News in thanks Fish Eagle, there seems to be a problem regarding accomodation now. Some company booked all the chalets for their Christmas party. So tents it may just have to be for Saturday evening. But that won't stop us, or will it. I will look for other possibilities.

I've had a slight change of plan regarding my travelling to the event, as I have a commitment in Durban on the Friday afternoon from which I cannot get out. So, I will leave PMB at 5am on the Saturday and head straight for the Amajuba Mountain parking lot - about 3 hours drive.

Wazat, can you please send me contact details for the campsite in Utrecht so that I can make a booking for Saturday night?

According to my GSAK stats, I should get to my 100th find by 3rd November 2007 - well, I'm hoping to step up the gas a bit more between now and the event so that I can celebrate my 100th with you guys at the event!

We will be there on Friday night, if all goes well. Hope to leave at 1PM, and do a few caches along the way. We need another 30 cahes to get to 100, but I doubt that will happen before we get to Utrecht. Would have been amazing to make the 100th on top of the mountain. I think Neville will make his 100th one there.

Are we having a braai together on Saturday, in the afternoon / evening?

Must I make my own booking for a camp site? or would there be enough camping sites so as not to worry about a booking?

Looking forward to meeting you all there.

great stuff. As mentioned by Fish Eagle, chalets are full. so camping in tents is the order of the day. I was actually hoping to go through to morrow and get a few spaces organized but will unfortunately be working in Howick. I have not been able to get things done the whole week with work commitments in the wrong direction. Noddy and B.Whelan are staying there tonight apparently so they will have all the prices. I will in all probability be going on Sunday to select the area we will camp. Please book from your side, ill arrange with the owners in regards to the sites. Will inform when. ready. Saterday braai and social at the park. depending on numbers will see where in the park.

Haa haa batsgonemad very funny. The trick is for the guys to find the ones I hide. Co-ordinates might be off on some. Besides my GPS just broke last Sunday after I was caught in a bit of rain at Worlds view. Speaking of worlds view, did you perhaps scrawl on one of the railings. It's says 'bat loves kash'.....

Haa haa you guys..... Nope it was in my jacket pocket and I thought it was switched off. But turns out it wasn't so the heat from the battery must have drawn moisture in from my jacket as I was in the rain quite a while. No she is kaput. There was a bit of moisture under the screen.

Back off to the thread "Which GPS..."

Neville you got the Vista HCX, how much did it cost you down that side...

What did that include? Software, accessories?

50cm under water for a hour, 5cm under water for ten hours, 1cm under water for 50 hours, in my jacket pocket in a rainfall for as long as it would take me to find that bloody macro at World View..... Where the hell was that one hidden?

Edited by Wazat

Hi Wazat - here is a link to the specs of the eTrex Vista HCx.

My unit included the latest Southern Africa Streetmaps v1.5 - I then purchased the Topo & Rec mapset for R365 or so. Well worth it for geocaching! With a 1GB micro SD card fitted to the unit, you can store the mapset for the entire country.

Before I got my Vista, I was using my StreetPilot c310 for geocaching - not very practical and missing a lot of features.

As far as the World View cache .... well, I can't really tell you over the forum, can I? I'll send you an email...

Anyone.....?

Anyway it seems that the weather might just play along with us on the weekend. Posibility of a bit of rain on Friday night but Saturday looks good so far. Bit overcast but that is good cause it will keep the daily temps down. But knowing the weather out here it will most probably be a scorcher.

Best then that we get up Majuba nice and early.

And what a weekend it was. I was hoping for a few more cachers to attend but this was a bit of a short notice event so I guess I mustn't push it too much. It all went pear shaped as Fish Eagle would say from the beginning. I had originally arranged with a co-worker to do my standby weekend for me as I had done his 2 weeks back. But he dropped me on Thursday so I was left in a predicament. The event had to go on though. Friday just a half hour from end of work I get a call for a client. Spend a good hour or so trying to get them sorted. There goes my camping over on Friday night with the rest, maybe a good thing cause it rained all night. Then Saturday morning I go up to Amajuba Mountain entrance gate and meet everyone. The phone rings and I get another call-out, this time in Bergville some 230/240 kilos away. Serious call got to attend. File server is down. So I race off to Bergville. As I turn into Bergville I get a call. Not to worry I need not attend to the call it was a switch on the server cabinet that had tripped. No I am really fuming and very upset. So just to calm the frustration I go and take a walk up to the cascades in the Royal Natal National Park to find Rhino and Hedgehogs cache, they could not attend my event so I thought I will go visit their cache. Thanks guys that was my 50th. Then back to Utrecht to attend my own event. I only arrived at about 7 pm. Was great to get to meet all the cachers who attended and although it was only a short while that I was there it was great to finally get to meet the faces behind the little plastic containers that we all search for. Glad to get so many visitors to all my caches in the area. Even though it was so hectic I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and hope to get another one organised without any setbacks again. Thanks guys it was awesome.

And what a weekend it was. I was hoping for a few more cachers to attend but this was a bit of a short notice event so I guess I mustn't push it too much. It all went pear shaped as Fish Eagle would say from the beginning. I had originally arranged with a co-worker to do my standby weekend for me as I had done his 2 weeks back. But he dropped me on Thursday so I was left in a predicament. The event had to go on though. Friday just a half hour from end of work I get a call for a client. Spend a good hour or so trying to get them sorted. There goes my camping over on Friday night with the rest, maybe a good thing cause it rained all night. Then Saturday morning I go up to Amajuba Mountain entrance gate and meet everyone. The phone rings and I get another call-out, this time in Bergville some 230/240 kilos away. Serious call got to attend. File server is down. So I race off to Bergville. As I turn into Bergville I get a call. Not to worry I need not attend to the call it was a switch on the server cabinet that had tripped. No I am really fuming and very upset. So just to calm the frustration I go and take a walk up to the cascades in the Royal Natal National Park to find Rhino and Hedgehogs cache, they could not attend my event so I thought I will go visit their cache. Thanks guys that was my 50th. Then back to Utrecht to attend my own event. I only arrived at about 7 pm. Was great to get to meet all the cachers who attended and although it was only a short while that I was there it was great to finally get to meet the faces behind the little plastic containers that we all search for. Glad to get so many visitors to all my caches in the area. Even though it was so hectic I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and hope to get another one organised without any setbacks again. Thanks guys it was awesome.

A standing ovation for Wazat please, that is the dedication to ones work and sport that is lacking in South Africa. You earned my respect Wazat! :)

Next time when that co-worker want you to stand in again, at Christmas time, you would know what to do...

Congratulations on your 50th, it hasn't been easy we all know.

Leon