Anyone been injured GeoCaching?

upon3

Greetings all!

My wife and I just started GeoCaching recently, so we're still learning the GPS and figuring out how things get hidden. I was looking for one recently inside a cruck of a large tree, and while I was climbing only a few feet off the ground, I though to myself, "how do you call into work tomorrow if you fall and break something, dummy?"

Anyone been injured searching for Tupperware filled with Happy Meal toys? Bad enough to miss work or something else important?

-doug

CR has it right. This thread and others like it are remarkable in that the motto "Individual Responsibility" gets used to avoid individual responsibility. The hider is responsible for designing his hide to anticipate possible problems that might be caused by predictably clumsy, misguided or even irresponsible seekers. You can't prevent all bad behavior, but you can reduce the likelyhood or impact of it.

Hides in the vicinity of sensitive areas that might be damaged by a search (e.g., nice landscaping, flower beds) are poor form. Seekers who search things like flower beds and sprinkler heads are not necessarily acting irrationally or recklessly--I've found caches hidden in those very places. Nowadays, I rarely search for urban caches, but when I do and the coords lead to a nice garden, I shut off the GPS and return to the car.

People have been injured.

It's just like anything in life. You need to constantly assess the situation to decide if the reward is worth the risk. Some caches, of course, have almost no inherent danger. However, the only way to completely avoid danger in any activity is to not do the activity.

Sure, the potential for injury is there but so far I've escaped. Almost stuck my hand in a rattlesnake den (little guy was sleeping), almost fell off of a rocky outcropping when I lost my footing and took a 4 miles hike in the desert at 105F and returned safe. Did, however, jam a cholla segment with all those spines into my ankle. That took weeks to heal. The greatest chance of injury would be driving to and from a cache.

Edited by rdaines

Sure, the potential for injury is there but so far I've escaped. Almost stuck my hand in a rattlesnake den (little guy was sleeping), almost fell off of a rocky outcropping when I lost my footing and took a 4 miles hike in the desert at 105F and returned safe. Did, however, jam a cholla segment with all those spines into my ankle. That took weeks to heal. The greatest chance of injury would be driving to and from a cache.

Those sorts of misadventures are pretty standard for bushwhack hiking here in Arizona. Last Friday I got one of those cholla balls embedded in the side of my foot (I wear sandals) and it left a pretty large bruise. I routinely get punctured or scratched by catclaw, cactus, mesquite and manzanita. Occasionally I'll fall and bruise or bash something. An example log from an epic bushwhack to GCZKAN:

Have trouble remembering the differences between abrasions, contusions and lacerations? No problem, hike to Muskhog Mountain via the route I did and you'll have fresh samples of all three to jog your memory. This is a bushwhack hike where the bushes whack back. Man-o-manzanita!

After that one the scratches got mildly infected and I had a sweaty, sleepless night with fever and chills. Recovered pretty quickly though; the immune system requires periodic exercise, too.

Recently had a big toenail permanently removed, as I was sick of babying it on long hikes.

Sprained an ankle once--I guess that's the only thing I'd actually classify as an injury, as it was somewhat debilitating and took a long time to heal. The rest is just good, clean fun.

Those sorts of misadventures are pretty standard for bushwhack hiking here in Arizona. Last Friday I got one of those cholla balls embedded in the side of my foot (I wear sandals) and it left a pretty large bruise. I routinely get punctured or scratched by catclaw, cactus, mesquite and manzanita. Occasionally I'll fall and bruise or bash something. An example log from an epic bushwhack to GCZKAN:
Have trouble remembering the differences between abrasions, contusions and lacerations? No problem, hike to Muskhog Mountain via the route I did and you'll have fresh samples of all three to jog your memory. This is a bushwhack hike where the bushes whack back. Man-o-manzanita!
After that one the scratches got mildly infected and I had a sweaty, sleepless night with fever and chills. Recovered pretty quickly though; the immune system requires periodic exercise, too.

Recently had a big toenail permanently removed, as I was sick of babying it on long hikes.

Sprained an ankle once--I guess that's the only thing I'd actually classify as an injury, as it was somewhat debilitating and took a long time to heal. The rest is just good, clean fun.

Well, there's your problem. [/mythbusters]
I was looking for one recently inside a cruck of a large tree, and while I was climbing only a few feet off the ground, I though to myself, "how do you call into work tomorrow if you fall and break something, dummy?"

The same way you'd call in if you fell off the ladder while washing your windows, or if you tripped on a crack in the sidewalk on your way to the store. We can get hurt doing nearly anything. In fact statistically speaking most serious injuries happen in the home, so if you want to be safe, get out of the house and go geocaching.

Anyone been injured searching for Tupperware filled with Happy Meal toys? Bad enough to miss work or something else important?

I know of at least 2 geocachers who died while geocaching. One was a heart attack victim and one was a heat stroke victim.

Someone who was searching for one of my caches tripped and fractured his eye orbit (among other injuries) and spent a week in the hospital. I've known people who sprained ankles, bruised bones and contracted Lyme disease.

Personally I've only suffered cuts and scrapes, though once I narrowly missed falling off a cliff. I slipped and was able to grab a branch on the way down.

Edited by briansnat

I look at it this way

While hiking (or geocaching)

You could get mauled by a bear and die.

You could get bit by a snake and die.

You could fall off a cliff and die.

You could get struck by lightening and die.

Or

you could stay home and fall off the couch and die.

So I might as well get out of the house and have fun.

I look at it this way

While hiking (or geocaching)

You could get mauled by a bear and die.

You could get bit by a snake and die.

You could fall off a cliff and die.

You could get struck by lightening and die.

Or

you could stay home and fall off the couch and die.

So I might as well get out of the house and have fun.

Ain't that the truth! And whatever you do... don't even think about getting in the shower!

But really folks...

If you drive to your caches you're increasing your risk exponentially.

DCC

Yes there is a geo-coin circulating out west here which is a tribute/memorial coin for a lady that was killed while riding a motorcycle. She was thought to be out geocaching when she had the accident which involved a truck. Not sure but I think she may have been from California originally. I agree that the driving is the biggest risk. I made my living working in the bush for years where I admitt I have been pretty lucky. Some of my colleagues were not but a lot of people survive bear and couger attacks. Not sure about the survival rate for head on collisions. :)

cholla balls embedded in the side of my foot[/i] (I wear sandals)

...big toenail permanently removed

...Sprained an ankle

Well, there's your problem. [/mythbusters]

Ha! Guess I was asking for that! :) In the defense of bare tootsies, I got the sprain while wearing solid hikers (stepped through a hole in the snow), and fungus killed the toenail a long time ago. I started wearing sandals this summer because I've recently added barefoot running to my fitness program. In the winter I'll probably go back to my customary combat boots.

For geo-injuries folks need to remember the rule: No sympathy for self-inflicted injuries.

Just your basics for me, but the last few outings I've been assaulted by bugs. ;) Hundreds of baby ticks one time and then chiggers during an orienteering outing. I was all bug sprayed up, but they still got me. Still nursing my wounds from the last one. Doctor said he had never seen chiggers that bad before. I probably have 50 bites between my knee and ankles. It's not fun, but hey its worth it! I'm going out this weekend! :)

This cacher got injured while searching for a cache.

Aside from a toenail that got ripped off, a minor step into cactus in sandals, and a few scrapes, we have only had one problem. We had a car accident on our way to a cache. The worst injury was to our dog who lost some of her hearing thanks to the airbags. Oh and I fractured my shin in that accident.

Being a bit over Medicare :laughing: age I have found it helpful to cache with a hiking pole. It's good for poking in holes where there might be a critter and it really helps balance. Now to figure out how to mount the GPS on top of it. Though I have found a shoulder pad keeps my hands free when need be.

Edited by Manatee Mamma

:laughing:

Has anyone NOT been injured while geocaching?

You wrote the right question lol.

I'm not sure if I have met a cacher that has not got a thorn or cut from something while geo caching.

I for one have plenty of battle scars. One was my vanity when I slipped and fell to the bottom of hill side than climbed all the way back up and went Duhhhhhhhhh I left my gps at the bottom. Back down I went. Got back to the top and Hubby was busting a gut. He didnt have his camera TG. I had Hitch hikers and burs from head to toe. Had to get to the nearest hairdress for her to cut them out. Well needless to say when she was done my hair was about an inch long all over. I walked in to our meeting that month and what a story I got to tell. Had everyone in stitches. So you can stop laughing now. But you can lose it if your not careful when your Caching. Just thought I'd share it with ya. Dilligas45 ( FEMALE)

I have hunted caches in four countries and hunted numerous caches in at least 15 states in the USA, and a number of them have been extreme terrain caches where special gear and skills were required. I have placed numerous extreme terrain caches and scouted sites for even more, where again, special gear and skills were required, including:

• wading in toxic waste ponds in unremediated toxic waste dumps
  • traveling deep inside caves
  • rappelling off a sheer 75 foot vertical cliff to reach a cave mouth located halfway down the cliff
  • climbing a sheer vertical rock face at 10,000 feet elevation in the face of a massive waterfall
  • wearing a Tyvek protective bunny suit and PAPR respirator to protect against radioactive and toxic dust in a site which should not even be mentioned
  • using diving gear
  • employing a helicopter in a very risky maneuver (which 99 out of 100 pilots seem to refuse to attempt)
  • found a classic old cache installed at a rattlesnake den on a wilderness mountaintop (near our home, in fact) so badly infested with bears that it is called "Bear Hill" by the locals (even met a nice female rattlesnake face to face at this one...)

I have never suffered any injuries while geocaching.

I have hunted caches in four countries and hunted numerous caches in at least 15 states in the USA, and a number of them have been extreme terrain caches where special gear and skills were required. I have placed numerous extreme terrain caches and scouted sites for even more, where again, special gear and skills were required, including:
  • wading in toxic waste ponds in unremediated toxic waste dumps
That was toxic waste? Now you tell me.... :laughing:

I have never suffered any injuries while geocaching.

Don't be sad. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Gaia's just not that into you. She only marks her favorites. The rest get the stiff-armed waltz and a peck on the cheek.

If you'd like to remedy your problem, I can help. My hiking plans this week involve a scenario that will resemble the chase scene from Apocalypto, only instead of soft, green jungle foliage the arena will be the organic razor-wire of the Arizona desert. With an unroped climb at the end. Whattya say?

This cacher got injured while searching for a cache.

Aside from a toenail that got ripped off, a minor step into cactus in sandals, and a few scrapes, we have only had one problem. We had a car accident on our way to a cache. The worst injury was to our dog who lost some of her hearing thanks to the airbags. Oh and I fractured my shin in that accident.

The postscript is that the SAR association sensed that he was going to be a regular customer, so they recruited the guy. Easier to keep an eye on him that way :laughing:

Car accident? :lol: Whew, a nightmare. Glad you're OK (more or less).

I was out walking in one of the St. Paul parks attempting to place a geocache. It was pitch black (the park had lighting, but I was on the shady side of the park building). I had my headlamp on and was walking "with purpose" when my sandal caught the edge of a section of chain link fence lying ON THE GRASS... HELLO! (Perhaps they were re-seeding the lawn.)

Anyway, after the sandal caught the edge, I went down fast--whump--in two seconds flat and nearly landed on my face. I had no time whatsoever to catch my fall. My right kneecap took most of the damage; that bone bruise took about three weeks to heal.

Bruised tailbones take a long time to heal. It sucks when you sit for a living. I had to get an inflatable donut and carried it everywhere I had to sit. I almost fell to my death during the same incident and would have if it wasn't for my cat-like reflexes and a two inch sapling at the edge of the precipice.

It was all Sissy's fault, too.

After have completed a nice cache in NC, we were returning to the bottom of a gorge. She had already made it to the bottom as I was picking my way over to a place I could descend. She pointed to an area and told me to go that way as she had done. I said it looked dicey. She asked, "who is the 'sissy' here?" Okay. Even though the area was a 45º or better incline and nothing but mud held up by clumps of grass, I attempted it. I should have known better as I don't recall a single footprint left by someone who claimed to have passed that way.

I was making my way by stepping of the clump of grass so I would some semblance of a foot hold when one gave way. I had been moving across the face of slope but as I went down I twisted so I would land on my butt and use my downslope hand to break my fall. It didn't work. Not only that, but I started sliding down hill...

... towards a drop off over the stream and the jagged rocks below.

The only thing between me bouncing down the hill on my butt and the drop off was a single two inch sapling. "No problem," I thought. I was still moving slow enough that I could simply put my foot down to stand on the sapling base to arrest my fall. Did I mention I was bouncing down the hill. I missed the tree. My first thought was my foot went on the other side of the tree and I was about to stop my decent with my manhood. NOT good.

As my vision steadied enough in an instant I was relieved the jewels were not in mortal danger. Then mortified I was still headed at breakneck speed over the drop off. My only thought was to bear hug that tree, even throw my chest over it if I have to. The bouncing caused me to be far enough away from the tiny tree so that I could only get one arm around it. I first though could catch it in my armpit, but when I hit my arm was ripped up releasing my hold. "Elbow!" I tried to grab it with the crook of my elbow as that is pretty strong, too. No good. I was still going.

The next thing I know I was dangling over the edge. I had somehow--with my fear-of-death inhuman strength and cat-like reflexes--grabbed the sapling with one hand, my weaker left hand, as I went by. But now, my feet are dangling in mid-air. The next stop was 10 feet below to another muddy outcropping that would serve to only make me bounce further on my way to the bottom.

Amazingly, I had dropped nothing. My hickory hiking stick was still gripped in my right hand. I plunged it into the muddy face of the slope for something on which to stand until I could get turned around and climb back up. I was then able to pick my own way down and reach the bottom without further incident.

Sissy says the drop was only a few feet and I was in no mortal danger. I think she's lying to make me feel better. Regardless, my tailbone was bruised. I still have that blue inflatable donut around here somewhere.