Need GPSr advice

A.B.E.L.

I would still consider myself a newbie to geocaching (21 finds, 1 placed cache) I recently sold my eTrex Venture and am looking to buy a newer / higher end model now. I have the money and am kinda set on a 60CSx. I have read a couple in-depth reviews and feel pretty well-informed about it. But I have a couple questions and I guess am just looking for some reassurance that I am purchasing the right model for me and what I intend to do.

The thing that I really like is the expandable memory of the 60CSx, I hate feeling limited by a devices built-in memory. My only other option with expandable memory appears to be the Vista HCx it seems and although I don't need the tide tables the 60CSx has over the HCx I do like the (marginally) bigger screen of the 60CSx and just the overall look of it. I know the 76CSx is comparable but I don't much care for the design and floating isn't reason enough for me to choose the 76CSx over the 60CSx.

The real question I have though is, how well does the built in compass work? I've read its not a 'true' magnetic/electronic compass, its a gps compass. It orientates when you move from what I've read. Well with my Venture I'd have to walk around for the 'compass' to orientate and it was very slow and cumbersome, I don't even know if you'd consider that a compass but it frustrated me quite a lot and made finding caches somewhat of a hassle for me. My question is does the compass in the 60CSx orientate in real time? do you have to be moving or can you just point it in a direction? if you turn left/right standing in one spot does it orientate?

I hate having to turning on my computer, finding a geocache(s), figuring out how to drive there, write down notes, driving directions and coordinates, then manually entering it into my GPSr then having a hard time finding the cache when I get there. We seem to only manage 2-3 caches in an evening with this setup. I understand its not so much the GPSr I am using but also my process.

What I'd really like to do is just slap a 2gb micro SD in the 60CSx with nearly all the US maps/streets I can fit and also say the nearest 500-1000 geocaches in my area or wherever I'll be. What I'd really like to get out of this is to have my GPSr at the ready at any time and just say "hey lets go geocaching" turn the unit on select nearest cache and just "GO". Is this possible with the 60CSx? Are there other units I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Aberrix

The only other unit I think you should look at is the new etrex Legend HCx. Same feature set except no electronic compass or barometric atimeter. Also save you at least $150. It too has expandable memory - up to 1000 waypoints and routable mapping. And yes - a slightly smaller screen.

The electronic compass is a electronic version of a magnetic compass but it does require frequent calibration to remain accurate. That is a royal pain to some users. But it does remain pointing in the direction of the cache even when holding still unlike the venture's compass screen. Some cachers love the built in compass - others including me find them to be useless. Of course, I have an electronic compass on my watch. Entirely up to you.

None of the handhelds from Garmin are going to allow you to download all of the cache page descriptions into your unit for use on the trail. At most you will get a hint or partial hint using the Geocaching mode. If you load caches as a Point of Interest file you can get a bit more but then they don't work in the geocaching mode of the unit.

The electronic compass is a electronic version of a magnetic compass but it does require frequent calibration to remain accurate. That is a royal pain to some users. But it does remain pointing in the direction of the cache even when holding still unlike the venture's compass screen. Some cachers love the built in compass - others including me find them to be useless. Of course, I have an electronic compass on my watch. Entirely up to you.

Can you explain the 'frequent calibration'? What do you have to do to calibrate it? How hard/frustrating is it? Aside from the frustration, is it accurate?

None of the handhelds from Garmin are going to allow you to download all of the cache page descriptions into your unit for use on the trail. At most you will get a hint or partial hint using the Geocaching mode. If you load caches as a Point of Interest file you can get a bit more but then they don't work in the geocaching mode of the unit.

I don't need or care for the descriptions really. If it could tell me how big/small the cache is that'd be nice but if not, oh well.

p.s. Thanks for the response.

Edited by Aberrix

I have the 76CSx. To calibrate the compass you simply stand still and slowly turn the unit around in a circle twice. There's a progress bar and, if you turn it too fast or too slowly you will get a message to that effect. It's REALLY fast and easy to do. People who gripe about it being a pain are folks who have never done it and don't understand how fast and easy it is.

Can you explain the 'frequent calibration'? What do you have to do to calibrate it? How hard/frustrating is it? Aside from the frustration, is it accurate?

I don't have one but I know several that do. I believe each time you chage batteries you need to calibrate it with the areas magnetic declination so that it knows where true north is. If it is inaccurate it is because of the declination between magnetic north and true north.

I don't need or care for the descriptions really. If it could tell me how big/small the cache is that'd be nice but if not, oh well.

p.s. Thanks for the response.

You can use a program like GSAK to "code" in the terrain/difficulty, and size info either in the name or decription field of your unit

You can use a program like GSAK to "code" in the terrain/difficulty, and size info either in the name or decription field of your unit

Good to know, I was thinking if need be I could always do paperless caching to get the info I need. But If I can use GSAK or a similar tool to get that tiny bit of info I do desire even more of a reason to go with a higher end model.

A secondary question I thought about is this, does the GPSr itself keep a log of date/times you mark the geocache as 'found'? What I mean is if I should forget to log my finds or even which caches I did find can I use a tool to read the info on the GPSr and say give me all geocaches/poi's found or marked as found within date X and date Y?

I have the 76CSx. To calibrate the compass you simply stand still and slowly turn the unit around in a circle twice. There's a progress bar and, if you turn it too fast or too slowly you will get a message to that effect. It's REALLY fast and easy to do. People who gripe about it being a pain are folks who have never done it and don't understand how fast and easy it is.

Thanks for info, I can see how some would find that annoying but I personally wouldn't. So you only have to do that when you change batteries? or say when the declination changes greatly from the last time it was calibrated?

Also, do you find the compass to be pretty accurate once calibrated properly?

Good to know, I was thinking if need be I could always do paperless caching to get the info I need. But If I can use GSAK or a similar tool to get that tiny bit of info I do desire even more of a reason to go with a higher end model.

A secondary question I thought about is this, does the GPSr itself keep a log of date/times you mark the geocache as 'found'? What I mean is if I should forget to log my finds or even which caches I did find can I use a tool to read the info on the GPSr and say give me all geocaches/poi's found or marked as found within date X and date Y?

There is a calendar tool on many of the Garmin models that will record the date/time you mark it as found. I've never seen a way to download that anywhere but it is easy enough to page through it and see what is listed.

There is a calendar tool on many of the Garmin models that will record the date/time you mark it as found. I've never seen a way to download that anywhere but it is easy enough to page through it and see what is listed.

Cool, yeah I don't need to download it per say I just need a way to somehow find out that info if need be and if I've got to page through some stuff that's fine by me.

Again, thank you for your responses.

Thanks for info, I can see how some would find that annoying but I personally wouldn't. So you only have to do that when you change batteries? or say when the declination changes greatly from the last time it was calibrated?

Also, do you find the compass to be pretty accurate once calibrated properly?

You need to do it when you change batteries and on rare occasions in between. If it starts acting fluky, time to calibrate.

It's accurate. Not as accurate as a handheld compass because it's not divided into 360 degree marks, but it points the right way.

What I'd really like to do is just slap a 2gb micro SD in the 60CSx with nearly all the US maps/streets I can fit and also say the nearest 500-1000 geocaches in my area or wherever I'll be. What I'd really like to get out of this is to have my GPSr at the ready at any time and just say "hey lets go geocaching" turn the unit on select nearest cache and just "GO". Is this possible with the 60CSx? Are there other units I should consider?

As far as being able to just grab your GPSr and go - I think you'll be happy. I have a Vista CX - a lesser model - and I'm happy with my ability to go caching at a moments notice. I use the custom POI method for geocaching, rather than using waypoints or Garmin's "geocaching" feature. That way I can fit the gcxxx number, name, container size, difficulty and terrain information all in my GPSr (with the help of GSAK). I also got a cheap PDA on ebay and I use Cachemate on it so I can have descriptions, logs and hints. Now I just grab the PDA and GPSr and I'm out the door.

Just to give you an idea on card size: I have a 1GB card in my unit with 500 caches (loaded as custom POI) plus 1000 other custom POI. I have the whole state of Utah plus areas of surrounding states from MapSource, plus I have almost all of northern Utah in custom TOPO maps (I built myself with the cgpsmapper / dem2topo / mapedit method). The topo map files I built are each over 10X the size (filesize) of Garmin's MapSource maps. Anyway, the point is, with all this extra data in my GPSr, I'm still only using roughly 160 MB of the 1GB card, so a 2GB card might be overkill. But, memory is cheap.

On another note, I quite enjoy the digital compass. Calibration isn't a big deal at all. And the added benefit is well worth it.

Edited by The Sneaky Snakes

Cool, yeah I don't need to download it per say I just need a way to somehow find out that info if need be and if I've got to page through some stuff that's fine by me.

I use the 60 CSx, and consider it the cream of the crop. If it suits your budget, I'd recommend it. You'll save yourself time and energy if you also purchase some city maps to go with it (Garmin City Navigator). I know you can "make your own maps" but I don't have time to fiddle around learning how to do all that stuff. The maps I use work well with the navigation system (which is why I chose the unit in the first place).

When you use the geocaching mode, the caches that you mark as found are saved to the calendar. Nothing to dowload, it's one of the noraml features. To find your caches for any particular day, you simply page through to the calendar, choose the day in question, and it shows the list of caches. So yes, you can use it to double check what caches you have done (assuming you haven't cleared the memory since then).

I don't do this, but "someone" will tell you how if you go with this setup: If you use GSAK, you can also pull up the list of caches at the end of the day (week, month) and create a log to go with every cache (1 log, same for each cache) and send the caches and logs to the computer. You can add to each cache as it pulls up the next one. So you can have every cache log say "Out with Bill and Ted on an excellent adventure" and add on one cache that "the log is getting full" and on another cache you can add what TBs you dropped off.

I also set my gps up using GSAK to show the difficulty, terrain, type of cache, partial hint, cache owner, etc but I rarely fool with custom points of interest. I rely on a PDA for the full details. I sometimes use my "note space" on the gps to hold some short cache info (i.e. soggy log) to remind me to tell the cache owner something. Other times I use my PDA to store that info.

I use the Garmin maps (City Select and Topo) and keep most of Indiana and half of Ohio, IL and KY on the unit all the time. I keep the nearest 500 caches around me on there (updated weekly) all the time and add other caches when I know I'll be headed to a certain area. If I am out and about I can pull up the nearest caches and see if I'll be passing near one. I used to keep more, but I found I was often working with stale data. It suits me best this way; other people run more PQs more often to have caches in areas they frequently travel near.

I just wanted to add my adorations towards a 60CSX. It is a VERY cool unit. I had wanted one for a very long time and am not disappointed in it.

The calibration seems weird if you are/were a Magellan owner, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. Yes, you have to do it when you change batteries and (as stated above) it's helpful to do it when the compass starts acting kind of strange. It doesn't happen very often, but if you're having some problems with it spinning, it's an easy fix.

Also, you can turn off the magnetic compass' message of "hold level" (which is extremely annoying), by holding down the page button.

It is an incredible machine and very comfortable to hold in your hand.

I would 2nd, 3rd and 4th the comments regarding the 60csx. I'm still fairly new myself, but already upgraded this year from an eTrex Legend to the 60csx after talking to a few people about it. It's an amazing unit, well worth the "cache".

And I'm sure I've attracted a look or two calibrating the compass.

Aberrix

Basically the 60CSx and the HCx are the same. The HCx may just have a tiny tiny edge on getting a good signal in very difficult terrain. But there wouldn't be much in it.

Both models have the same electronic fluxgate compass and I'd highly recommend having it rather than not having it. The barometric altimeter is also a lot of fun.

You mention that you like the 'look' of the 60CSx can't do much about that, while I'll agree it does have a more macho "I'm going to go out and hunt a few wild boar" type of look, I myself prefer the much more compact Vista HCx and single handed operation. The aerial on the HCx also works better when it is held in a horizontal position (which is how it is usually used).

Regarding the screen size of the 60CSx the screen may be bigger but it is an inferior screen. At 100% brighness is is as bright at the Vista HCx is at 50%. Also note that the 60CSx screen is of lower resolution meaning that you see about 10% less map at the same scale.

The screen is bigger because the pixels themselves are bigger, not because there are more pixels. In fact there are less pixels per centimetre. Before the H chips came out no one cared about the lower res screen because everyone bought it because of the more sensitive SirfStarIII chipset. But that doesn't matter any more, because the H chip is better.

However it is very likely that a new 60CSx model will be out fairly soon with the same quality screen as on the Vista HCx then the size *will* make a difference. Also the HCx has considerably better battery life.

Say you hold the 60CSx screen in in front of you at a distance of 12 inches, then by holding the Vista HCx screen at a distance of 11 inches makes the screens the same size but you still enjoy the higher resolution of the HCx and also the brightness too.

Garmin are giving a $50 rebate on the 60CSx because they want to get rid of the stocks before the new model comes out. (just a guess)

$0.02

Thank you to everyone for all of your responses. I feel even more certain now that the 60CSx is the right unit for me.

gallet, thanks for explaining the screen info to me. being an IT guy I can see how that may sway someone and I've definitely taken it into consideration.

In the end I placed my order this morning with pcnation.com for my new 60CSx (found via pricegrabber.com), it only cost me $323.80 shipped to my door. That combined with Garmin's $50 mail-in-rebate should bring me down to a final price of $273.80 which I feel absolutely ecstatic about! especially considering I see them sell for more on eBay or even used second-hand. I've already got a spare 1gb microSD card I plan to use and am currently looking into maps. I'll probably toy around with GSAK as I feel that will be a regular in my future geocache arsenal. The 60CSx should be here by Friday and I simply cannot wait for this weekend!

Again, thanks to everyone for your responses!