Help with Palm IIIxe Hotsync please...

Mofino

Hi,

I have been using a Palm IIIxe with cachemate and EasyGPS enjoying paperless caching. My desktop computer just died so I intalled the Palm desktop on my wifes laptop which runs XP. It does not have a serial port so I bought a USB>serial port adapter. It came with drivers on a CD which installed OK.

Problem is when I try to hotsync the Palm to the laptop nothing happens. It does not hotsync and says there is a communication problem. (everything is connected properly)

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I hope to be able to continue using the Palm with cachmate and EasyGPS on this XP laptop...

Thanks so much for any help!

Bob

Edited by Mofino

Make sure the correct COM port is selected. You can see which is being used through Device Manager, and you have to select that one in the Hotsync Manager.

I tried both com port settings available, com5 and com3 and niether worked. Thanks for the try though. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Make sure the correct COM port is selected. You can see which is being used through Device Manager, and you have to select that one in the Hotsync Manager.

I tried both com port settings available, com5 and com3 and niether worked. Thanks for the try though. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

The USB adapter likely has its own com port assignment. It may not be 3 or 5. Check in Device Manager. Find the device and see what com port is assigned to it. I've used one of those to connect an old Palm Vx to a new laptop and I had that issue. Once I found what com port it wanted I was good to go. If I remember right my adapter wanted com 1. Make sure the device is connected when you boot the computer. That might make a difference whether it is found or not.

Edited by Thrak

Thanks,

Bob

The USB adapter likely has its own com port assignment. It may not be 3 or 5. Check in Device Manager. Find the device and see what com port is assigned to it. I've used one of those to connect an old Palm Vx to a new laptop and I had that issue. Once I found what com port it wanted I was good to go. If I remember right my adapter wanted com 1. Make sure the device is connected when you boot the computer. That might make a difference whether it is found or not.

I looked all though device manager and could not see where I check for com port settings. Where would I look in the device manager?

Thanks so much for the help!

Bob

In the lower right corner of the task bar there is the hotsync icon, right click on it. Make sure the Local Serial is checked.

Hmmm, I don't even see a hotsync icon on the task bar. I downloaded Palm Desktop which is supposed to include the hotsync manager. Not sure why I don't see the icon.

Also it only shows Com 3 as the port. No other options to change that.

Very confused, thanks for any help...

Bob

In the lower right corner of the task bar there is the hotsync icon, right click on it. Make sure the Local Serial is checked.

Hmmm, I don't even see a hotsync icon on the task bar. I downloaded Palm Desktop which is supposed to include the hotsync manager. Not sure why I don't see the icon.

Also it only shows Com 3 as the port. No other options to change that.

Very confused, thanks for any help...

Bob

I take that back, it gives me the option for Com 3 and Com 5. I have tried both with no luck...

How do I tell if hotsync manager is installed? I downloaded palm desktop so i assumed it was there. Is there something else I need to download?

Thanks!

Bob

Hotsync typically starts up when your computer starts up. So reboot the computer and then see if hotsync is running. If not, then you will need to figure out how to get that to happen at start-up, but before doing that, try starting it manually. That is done as follows: with Windows Explorer, look into the folder: C:\Program Files\Palm

(it might be slightly different on your computer). In this folder look for HOTSYNC.EXE and note the icon for this file (you will be looking for this in the system tray later).

Now double-click on this HOTSYNC.EXE - nothing will seem to happen (that's OK - its now running); look in the system tray (next to the clock on the start bar) - you may have to expand the tray to see it. Right-click on the hotsync icon and note where the check mark is in the to part of the menu - get the Local serial checked if it is not already checked. On that same menu select "setup": on the first tab you can select how you want Hotsync starting - take your preferred choice; the rest of the settings may also be relevant for you. After clicking on OK connect your Palm to the serial port on the cable and trigger the hotsync on the Plam device. Hotsync on the PC should not become active and it should sync.

Hotsync typically starts up when your computer starts up. So reboot the computer and then see if hotsync is running. If not, then you will need to figure out how to get that to happen at start-up, but before doing that, try starting it manually. That is done as follows: with Windows Explorer, look into the folder: C:\Program Files\Palm

(it might be slightly different on your computer). In this folder look for HOTSYNC.EXE and note the icon for this file (you will be looking for this in the system tray later).

Now double-click on this HOTSYNC.EXE - nothing will seem to happen (that's OK - its now running); look in the system tray (next to the clock on the start bar) - you may have to expand the tray to see it. Right-click on the hotsync icon and note where the check mark is in the to part of the menu - get the Local serial checked if it is not already checked. On that same menu select "setup": on the first tab you can select how you want Hotsync starting - take your preferred choice; the rest of the settings may also be relevant for you. After clicking on OK connect your Palm to the serial port on the cable and trigger the hotsync on the Plam device. Hotsync on the PC should not become active and it should sync.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I selected local serial and that did the trick...

I really appreciate the help... :grin::sad:

Bob