Garmin eTrex Vista C Rubber Surround

My wife and I both have the eTrax Vista C and both units have experienced the rubber grips becoming unglued from the units. A friend of ours has the same model and it has the same problem. All three units are coming on 2 years old.

We don't know if they can be sent to Garmin for repairs or if there is another fix that I can do. It looks like a clear two side tape is used when assembling the GPS'rs.

Thanks

Mark

I know other people have commented on this with other models in the eTrex line. It appears that some have sent it back, while otehrs have managed to get Garmin to send new gaskets. It also appears that two sided tape is used, as you say and some people have recieved this with their new gaskets and others haven't. Someone, somewhere mentioned a good tape to use to fix it yourself, so you may want to look at that. Finally, however, it seems that the gasket stretches when it comes unattached, so a new one might be in order.

Sorry for all the mights, but I'm just suggesting things that I've seen here. MAybe someone else might have a better answer.

I read somewhere that exposing an eTrex to high temperature, like on the dash of a car, will cause the adhesive to break down and the rubber to come loose.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Makes sense as we have the dashboard mounts. I think I'm going to test some adhessives that I use in my R/C aircraft that is flexible but doesn't breakdown like the double sided tape that was used. The stuff is like Shoe Goo which I think will work great.

RCTP

I decided to give the repair a go myself tonight. :lol: I started by removing the gasket and then cleaned up the GPS and gasket with a mild solvent to get rid of the sticky mess that the original two sided tape left. I left the clear backing of the two sided tape on the GPS as it looked like it was in good condition and provides a good vapour barrier.

I then applied a very light film of clear All Purpose GE Silicone 1 to the GPS area where the gasket attaches to then carfully repositioned the gasket making sure all buttons functioned properly. As expected the gasket had stretched from use when the original glue failed so I used a scalpel (very very sharp) to remove about an 1/8th inch of the rubber right at the bottom where the lanyard attaches to. A couple of drops of vey thin CA (Crazy Glue can be used I suppose) was applied to the joint. After making sure the silicone started to take hold, I wrapped the GPS carefully in painters masking tape until the silicone 30 minute tack free time expired.

After about 45 minutes I unwrapped the GPS from it's little cocoon of green tape :laughing: and powered up the GSP and was very pleased with the results. I then gave the GPS to my better half (RVTraveller) for some testing and she was pleased with the results so much that she wants her GPSr repaired now. :P

Anyway, I'll do some real testing the next couple of days in the bush to see how the repair stands up. Knowing how this silicone works I think it will be just fine. Worse case senario I'll purchase a new gasket and start all over.

RCTP

My wife and I both have the eTrax Vista C and both units have experienced the rubber grips becoming unglued from the units. A friend of ours has the same model and it has the same problem. All three units are coming on 2 years old.

We don't know if they can be sent to Garmin for repairs or if there is another fix that I can do. It looks like a clear two side tape is used when assembling the GPS'rs.

Thanks

Mark

I had the same problem and called their Support hotline. They sent me a new gasket and the tape. Pretty easy fix. Just make sure you line up power button properly or it will be hard to turn on and off.

I am happy to report that the quick fix that I did to our eTrex Vista's worked great. I also repaired IFlyRC2's GPS'r and we spent the day caching yesterday without the gaskets showing any issues.

Today will be the big test as we are heading to an Earth cache and the rains are falling pretty good. We don't expect any problems as the silcone used along with the orignal clear tape in place will provide a good seal against water. :D

RCTP