September Statistics

holograph

The statistics page has been updated with the September statistics.

It looks like you all kept Deb busy, with a little more than a thousand new reports added. The backlog seems to be reduced.

I noticed that 2/3 marine bagged in August three of the top ten highest elevation recoveries. Those reports probably weren't available prior to this update, so belated congratulations are due to you.

The maps have also been updated. In the never-ending saga of the transcontinental link-up, it looks like there is now only one county that needs to be visited to complete the chain.

geocac_map_t.gif delta_map_t.gif

Harry Dolphin wrote:

I still seem to have a major backlog. I may have to relog a few...

My analysis shows that submissions from 9/9/07 are in the data base. Submissions from 9/21/07 (which include 25 from me) have not been updated.

Even with the backlog, Shorebird and I both coasted past the 1400 milestone this month. Next month, when my 25 pending submissions appear on-line, several counties in North Carolina will be filled in and one county in Virginia will change color. Until then, I'll be content with the amount of geography I covered in the map for this month. I really enjoyed working along the NC-VA state line, especially around the lakes.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

Just curious--do you have the county statistics in a form that would be easy to put in a table?

I have one table that shows counts by county. It contains only two columns: (1) the FIPS code for the county, and (2) the number of GEOCAC reports in that county, plus a few INDIV who are known geocachers.

Just curious--do you have the county statistics in a form that would be easy to put in a table?

I have one table that shows counts by county. It contains only two columns: (1) the FIPS code for the county, and (2) the number of GEOCAC reports in that county, plus a few INDIV who are known geocachers.

As usual, a great service.

I notice Aroostook Co. Maine is empty, but there hav been a few GC recoveries (not me) way up in Big Twenty township (like this: SF1030).

There are three folks who once were quite active, but who have not submitted recoveries to NGS or to this website in a long time:

W4REZ (Last entry: September 2004)

a/r/sf/ret (Nothing since May 2005)

Colorado Papa (Silent since January 2005)

I believe W4REZ is in the military. He may have been deployed where there are no benchmarks (if you know what I mean!). The absences of the other two might be related to age and/or health.

Whatever the reason, Guys, we miss you!

...A wave of the trowl, and sincere best wishes to you and your families.

-Paul-

it looks like there is now only one county that needs to be visited to complete the chain.

Which county would that be, by chance? :)

Looks like Monroe County, in extreme SE Michigan would do the trick. GrizzFlyer has been finding marks in the area, but nobody has made any NGS recoveries since 1988-1993.

So, who's got some gas money left and can go in for a "mop up"?

-Paul-

As usual, a great service.

I notice Aroostook Co. Maine is empty, but there hav been a few GC recoveries (not me) way up in Big Twenty township (like this: SF1030).

It looks as if the same geocacher has logged 43 benchmark finds along the Canadian border--all boundary monuments.

Edited by shorbird

>folks who once were quite active, but who have not submitted recoveries to NGS or to this website in a long time

With all of the discussion on another thread about Maine, I think of Spoo who is still #25 in recoveries although he hasn't posted in a long time. At one time I think he worked for a defense contractor on USN ships, which might explain his absence.

it looks like there is now only one county that needs to be visited to complete the chain.

Which county would that be, by chance? ;)

Looks like Monroe County, in extreme SE Michigan would do the trick. GrizzFlyer has been finding marks in the area, but nobody has made any NGS recoveries since 1988-1993.

-Paul-

It's MINE! I'll be up that way this coming Sunday. (Goin' for a rather long and nice drive.. I believe that, even in the dark (by the time I get up there), I'll be able to spot something simple enough to bridge the gap. :)

Yep, North Joisey needs more work! Need to turn it all maroon (or watever that color is.) I think seventhings is responsible for a change to red there somewhere. Maybe Union and Passaic... Since the Somerset County benchmarks all start with 'SC', I need to make another run there for the Poker Fun Run. That should change its color this month. :)

My sister is a QAR at BIW. That doesn't stop her from geocaching! Only an occasional week of sea trials.

Which county would that be, by chance? :laughing:

-Paul-

It's MINE! I'll be up that way this coming Sunday. (Goin' for a rather long and nice drive.. I believe that, even in the dark (by the time I get up there), I'll be able to spot something simple enough to bridge the gap. :lol:

Well, I already reported MC0284 to the NGS a few weeks back, but seemingly after this month's cutoff. So theoretically the last one's in the bag.

Well, I already reported MC0284 to the NGS a few weeks back, but seemingly after this month's cutoff. So theoretically the last one's in the bag.

D'oh! Darn. And I wanted to get my name on.. er... something. :o

Congrats, tho! :D

Brick in the sidewalk of the Benchmarkers' Hall of Fame, in Mt Pocono, North Carolina? Though a dremel and a brick would probably work there. :shocked:

My late September and October recoveries up to yesterday are now all in the NGS database. This is probably the only update for October. The updates used to be just around the first of the month, now they seem to be a week earlier.

Anyone else see this?

I didn't make any NGS recoveries in Spet, that I can remember, so I doubt I'll see any. I made several earlier this week and previous week, during my travels, thouse probably won't get up until next month. :)

Me.

I didn't make any NGS recoveries in Spet, that I can remember, so I doubt I'll see any. I made several earlier this week and previous week, during my travels, thouse probably won't get up until next month. :)

Me.

You might be surprised. I logged mine just yesterday and they were there today. (Of course if you recovered them but have not yet logged them, that is another story.)

Jim,

Watch for a new submitter in the Raleigh NC area. It's KSG, with 14 marks in his first reporting month.

Whew! Some new blood, at last! :)

-Paul-

Haha, yes that would be me! I'm actually going on a group hunt with PinkDolphin and mclem829 this sunday, so expect more to come! I was surprised to see that before I found AH4816 it hadn't been recovered (on gc or ngs) since it was monumented in 1995

Edited by wwflover13

The maps have also been updated. In the never-ending saga of the transcontinental link-up, it looks like there is now only one county that needs to be visited to complete the chain.

geocac_map_t.gif delta_map_t.gif

It would be very interesting to know how you get this information but I will be content with the mystery of it all.

My question is can you tell who made the USGS recoveries in Mendocino County, California? We just moved from there after a 30 year stay? I logged probably over 200 benchmarks in that county on the gc site but have never submitted any USGS recovery forms. There were only a handful of geocachers in that county, and none that I know of that showed any serious interest in benchmark hunting.

10 of the 13 NGS recovery reports for Mendocino were made by Mighty Kimbo (KRS) this year. By the way, NGS is the government organization for the datasheets. USGS is a different organization in a different federal cabinet department.

I guess it is time for me to stop interchanging those two agencies. Thanks. Man, you have got the information at your fingertips. And thanks for that too. I also enjoy the maps and monthly stats.

Looks like MK is enjoying benchmarking. They are from nearby Sonoma County and since we haven't logged any of the same benchmarks I suspect they have been working SE Mendocino County nearer to their base city of Healdsberg. Great places to live, work and play.

Man, you have got the information at your fingertips. And thanks for that too. I also enjoy the maps and monthly stats.

Hi, Sagefox:

Everyone in this hobby will agree with your comment. Jim continues to amaze us with his statistics and maps, as well as his background data when someone asks a specific question.

Someday, there is going to be an explosion--either his computer, or his brain! :lol: Meanwhile, we're enjoying the output from his windowless room full of equipment. :)

-Paul-

I see the maps have been updated. It appears that the transcontineal link-up has been established. It's thin in places, but it's there!

For Jim:

When I checked the statistics page at 7PM (Eastern), the NGS numbers looked good but the GEOCACHING totals were zero for many participants. Perhaps I was seeing a "work in progress"?

-Paul-