snake extractor

furglasses

Do a google search, but I think you'll find that they are mostly snake oil.

Read a first aid manual concerning snake bites. http://firstaid.about.com/od/bitesstings/h..._snakebites.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid...e-bites/FA00047

There are venomous snakes in the world and some of the areas that we look for caches are the same areas that they inhabit. It's not something to obsess about, just another thing to keep in the back of your mind when in the woods. I'm much more concerned about poison ivy than a snake. That stuff will get ya! :)

You've got a much better chance of being in a wreck on the way to the cache than being bitten by a snake.

Edited by Rick618

My son was bitten by a water mocassin in Florida a couple months ago and ended up spending three nights in the ICU. During his stay we had a few conversations with the doctors about the do's and don'ts of treating snake bites. They said do NOT waste your time with snake bite venom extractors. Once the venom is in ya, it's IN ya - slicing and sucking on the site is only going to cause more damage and will delay proper treatment. If you're way out in the wilderness you may apply a contriction band at the next joint upstream from the bite (at the elbow if bitten on the hand...). This is something like a belt or tie wrapped just tight enough to slow the bloodflow. Do NOT apply a tourniquet which is when the band stops the bloodflow. This is bad, bad, bad... You're gonna lose the limb if you do that.

The doctors said that unless folks have an acute allergy to snake venom that you actually have about three hours before severe tissue damage (necrosis) sets in. The anti-venin available today is orders of magnitude better than that available only ten years ago. It comes with a price though - my son's bill for the anti-venin alone was $20,000!!! Insurance covered every penny.

I am not a snake lover by any stretch of the imagination but I just finished reading a book about the people that have died at the Grand Canyon. It stated that there have been many people over the last century that have been bitten by snakes and scorpions, but not one fatality!

I agree, the plants are worse than the ambulatory wildlife.

I wondered if hiking with a friend, & one of us is bitten, should the friend run out & get help form a ranger station... or should both parties just high tail it out ASAP? the idea being that the faster a man is moving the faster his heart pumps, & the faster the venom is pumped thru the victims system. I realize that this is likely not always going to be an option, depending on where you are.... but if you are relatively near a service road, etc...

If it is a long way out and you have a cellphone with coverage just use it. You can also give the 911 people your coordinates from your GPS. Keep the victim still and comfortable. Do the belt trick at the next highest joint. If you have something to use for a blanket cover them up. This helps prevent going into shock even in hot weather. Mostly a psychological ploy but it works. Then wait for help to arrive.

If there is no cell coverage and the victim is not panicking do the first aid,leave the victim with some water,mark your coordinates and go for help or a high spot for a cellular signal yourself. Unless there is some other immediate danger to your buddy in the area I would say this would be your best bet.

If you're in really good shape and better rescue spot is near then "Fireman's Carry" them out.

I've had lots of encounters with snakes and typically they just split when they detect you. It's when you surprise them or deliberately mess with them that gets you into trouble. When plowing through brush always make noise "heavy foot falls" since snakes mostly detect ground vibrations and probe ahead of you with a long walking stick. Rattlers are pretty nice about rattling long before you get to them as long as they know your coming. Other snakes just split before you even see them.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by potshot

I dont think snakes should be a worry . Common sence is your best defence . Think before moving in risky

areas . Read up about the dangers in the area you visit .

I would be more concerned about spider bites . They do not run away .They dont move until you touch them . Dark damp wooded areas are a favorite . Like others have said a stick and I would suggest some type of gloves . They dont have to be real heavy to protect against spider bites . Or sharp objects even .

Remember you could be invading some animals home . You are the guest in the wild and to many animals the wild may even be your backyard .

Ever stir up a hornets nest ?

Good luck FLHTPI

Edited by flhtpi

I see rattlesnakes fairly often here in the riparian woodlands around LA. A walking stick probing the ground ahead of you, or wherever you're reaching but cannot clearly see, is an extremely good idea. Once I reached in under a small bush to pick up something that caught my eye. A moment later I walked around on the other side of the small bush and saw a rattlesnake coiled up within inches of the object I had picked up. He was completely camoflaged and did not rattle. I will never reach into a spot like that again.

Ah, you meant venom extractors..i would say its a waste..just carry your mobile phone and just call an ambulance if bitten..leave it to the professionals.

That was my first image also.. someone pulling a snake out of their vein using a small cord with a slip knot on the end.

Venom extractors are more dangerous than snake bites.