Nuclear Explosion Series?

The cooling towers are Calder Hall (next to Sellafield) were blown up on Satuday. It will seem odd heading to west Cumbria and the landmark Cooling towers of Calder hall not being there. Link to BBC Cumbria (Hopefully I've not broken any rules by putting a link here!?)

The ones at Chapelcross went earlier in the year.

It got me thinking - there's a possible series here to commemorate Britain's leading role in the use of Nuclear power for something other than bombs:

Caches placed somewhere where the (ex) cooling towers would have dominated the view.

Obviously, not TOO close as we don't want the police getting upset - they carry guns! :D

I'd be willing to find a location near Calder Hall, although someone based over that way may be better placed!? - would anyone be near Chapelcross want to add one? What about the other Magnox stations that are due for demolition. I've not got any timescale in mind (it could take me months to get round to it!)

I reckon before & after photos (if available) would be needed in the box, but not sure what else?

Just to add a disclaimer - I'm making NO comment on the rights or wrongs of nuclear power, just recognising the industrial heritage side of things. I'd expect the caches would also have to be neutral in that respect. :)

I'll crawl back under my stone now.

Guanajuato

I reckon before & after photos (if available) would be needed in the box, but not sure what else?

We actually went up to one of our own fell top caches on Saturday morning to watch the demolition and take before and after photos. Unfortunately the mist came in at the wrong moment and by the time it had cleared all we got to see was the cloud of dust so the camera was redundant. Glad we knew what was going on as the two extremely loud bangs would have worried us otherwise!

MBF

It got me thinking - there's a possible series here to commemorate Britain's leading role in the use of Nuclear power for something other than bombs:

Caches placed somewhere where the (ex) cooling towers would have dominated the view.

It will indeed change the view on the west coast as they were very prominent from many hills. No doubt the site will still exude an ominous orange glow at night visible from miles away (yes, I know it's just the lights! :( )

I'm not sure about our 'leading role' in civil generation of electricity - it was always just a cover for the production of home-grown plutonium for our own (non-US) bombs, without which there never would have been a nuclear industry. :D

Of course if you do put some caches out I guess they should be expected to be maintained for the next several thousand years, since that's how long the waste legacy will be with us. Hopefully that stuff will be stored in something better than Tupperware though! :ph34r:

Rather than commemoration, how about celebration of the start of the end of something we'd be much better off without. :(

Cheers

Martlakes

(sorry, I don't want to get splinters from the fence! :o )

I think this is a great idea - but I can't help myself - very sorry. The two magnox stations over this way are Trawsfynydd (trows-vun-ith, say trows like the trous in trouser) and Wylfa (Will-va). Trawsfynydd has a cache very close to it and Wylfa used to. Until the owner of that cache pulled in loads from across Anglesey.

Trawsfynydd is being decommissioned and Wyfla starts being decommissioned in the next few years. I would help with cache placement, but even from where I am, both of these sites caches are quite far away for maintenance, a good 50 - 60 minutes travelling. Hope others take on - could be a good series.