Geocoin storage

Theotokos

I was just wondering if when you buy coins do you typically leave them in the flips they come in? I got a few orders in this past week and the coins are all sticking to the plastic flips pretty good. I was concerned that over time any coins with paint may actually stick and lose some of their color. Is that anything I should be concerned with?

I mean I collect Ancient Roman coins and they all go into flips right away but they don't have any paint on them and they don't seem to stick to the flips like what I've seen with my geocoins.

Thanks

I was just wondering if when you buy coins do you typically leave them in the flips they come in? I got a few orders in this past week and the coins are all sticking to the plastic flips pretty good. I was concerned that over time any coins with paint may actually stick and lose some of their color. Is that anything I should be concerned with?

I mean I collect Ancient Roman coins and they all go into flips right away but they don't have any paint on them and they don't seem to stick to the flips like what I've seen with my geocoins.

Thanks

I think danoshimano wrote an interesting post about this one time, if it was sticking to the coin, the chemical process/interaction had already started and it slowly ruins a coin over a very long time. He worded it differently of course. Maybe he will post about it again or someone can find the link...

~tsun

I've certainly ran into a number of "stuck" coins, for 99% of them, they don't leave any paint behind initially, but over time the shadow darkens to the point where you can read the tracking number on the "empty" slip. :)

I'm guessing this problem doesn't affect epoxy sealed coins?

Great question and answer! I've wondered about that too? I'll check at a local coin collecting shop and see if they have them before I order off the internet. Thanks for the info.

Oddly, most coin shops sell PVC flips only.

Quick method to tell if it contains PVC is just by feel, but without experience that won't work. Instead, use the "burn" tethod: make a long loop of copper wire, heat it with a propane torch, then pass the wire through the flip so it gets melted all over the loop. Hold the plastic-coated wire in the propane flame. If you get a beautiful green flame, it means you are burning PVC. Don't sniff the fumes, and don't try this at the coin shop because it tends to piss them off. :)

wonder if these are any good-they sure look nice!

I've seen similar ones here in Canada, but they are red and have clear plastic tops on each tray. They are quite expensive, and I know several serious collectors who use them (for coins worth a lot of money).

Here's another option to look at. They have the red ones, and enclosed Lighthouse trays. Both are claimed to be safe.

http://www.predecimal.com/coin-accessories...ys-c-23_25.html

ack yuk! thanks for the info. so only mylar is truly pvc free - i have had some swaps packed in mylar and geotiki.com is packing his coins in it. although I have heard some vinyl flips called 'collector safe'

wonder if these are any good-they sure look nice!

My husband has one of these containers for his non-geocoin coin collection. They are very nice, but the coins move around a bit in the case.

thanks - the trays by themselves no box are about $10 for a pair - lots of sizes. can fit the paper mylar protectors and acrylic capsules.

you have a lighthouse wholesaler in the USA - i dont know if someone would be able to prepaid order supplies for a group attending a coin event. certainly the acrylic cases come cheaply from china if included with a coin shipment.

I had my super special coins housed in a photograph album - presumed acid free but i left them in their flips - the album has room for lots of info on the special coins. but they slide around a lot and the pages not strong enough.