How far did you drive today....

Howdy......

I went and found 6 caches today. Today is also the first time I have kept tract of mileage.

The entire round trip was 130 miles and about 4 1/2 hours. Is that a lot or is that average for a weekend day???! It also blew out the $30.00 worth of gas I put in yesterday...('87 Ford Bronco...next long one I will take the Toyota truck...)

What is your experence......

Vern / Foothills Drifter... :)

Edited by Foothills Drifter

I've only taken a few trips specifically for geocaching. Probably the farthest one of those that was a road trip was to Victoria, WA (for the weekend). That was about 250 miles, and into another country.

Whenever I travel, I try and cache. I find that caching can bring us to some of the nicest or most interesting places in an area, and take us on lots of adventures. I love traveling, and I love caching.

The farthest away I've cached (although not the farthest I've ever traveled), although it's not a road trip, was in Jamaica. That's about 3,500 miles.

I travelled 51 miles in 6 hours during my last outing. It all depends from time to time, based on the cache locations I'm seeking. I do try to lump them into a close-together route to save time and fuel.

I don't worry much about the fuel, though; after all it's a hobby and that's part of it. Had I chosen to play golf that day instead, between travel, green fees and golf cart rental, it would have been way more than the cost of the caching trip :)

Two weeks ago today I cached in Florida, and next week will be in Branson MO, then the next week Arkansas. Then back home till the end of January :) Geocaching is actually a great tour guide to some really nice spots one wouldn't see in normal travels!!

Yesterday I drove about 180 miles round trip to meet a caching friend at what was a halfway point for both of us. We found 13 caches around a really beautiful lake and then drove another 10 miles to bushwhack into a cache placed at a waterfall. Of course there was no water running this time of year, but it was still awesome. Had a nice picnic lunch at the lake and wore out 2 happy geocaching dogs. I left my house at 8am and got home around 730pm.

In the last two weeks, I've gone from my home in southwest Michigan to Elkhart, Indiana, Sarnia, Ontario, the Upper Peninsula, and over to Northern Ohio. All exclusively caching trips. Total milage over that time: somewhere in the 1000+ mile range. That's not normal for me; there's tons of caches in the Grand Rapids area that I haven't found. I probably spent $200 on gas for those trips. Ugh. Well worth it, though. I had a lot of fun, and found a bunch of caches! And finished a great series, too.

I'm not sure if solo caching is the best route, though. Nobody to split the bills with! :)

I travelled 51 miles in 6 hours during my last outing. It all depends from time to time, based on the cache locations I'm seeking. I do try to lump them into a close-together route to save time and fuel.

I don't worry much about the fuel, though; after all it's a hobby and that's part of it. Had I chosen to play golf that day instead, between travel, green fees and golf cart rental, it would have been way more than the cost of the caching trip :)

Two weeks ago today I cached in Florida, and next week will be in Branson MO, then the next week Arkansas. Then back home till the end of January :) Geocaching is actually a great tour guide to some really nice spots one wouldn't see in normal travels!!

Have fun in Arkansas!

Um, miles? :)

It's not at all uncommon for us to put 150-250 miles on our Chumpomobile in a day and 300+ for an out of town weekend. It's all for a good cause though; Entertainment! :D

I do feel bad for the car sometimes, so I make sure to give it its 3000 mile makeover whenever the odometer says that it's time for some love. :)

I don't drive to caches much anymore since I found out that Vinny has this sweet hovercraft that he is happy to loan to fellow geocachers (just drop him a PM if you want to borrow it :) ). Gets you where you want to go without having to bother with roads and traffic and traditional parking and the high cost of petrol, etc.

But today he had already loaned it to someone else. So once I remembered where I left it, I drove my Jeep just over 50 miles (round trip) for no other reason than to see if the terrain rating for a cache we've been discussing in the forums was appropriate.

Oh, and Vinny? Can I hosey the hovercraft for next weekend before someone else grabs it? There's an island cache I need to do. Thanks, you're the best!

Today was 131 miles round trip for 24 caches in 5 hrs. We passed by another 10 or so on the way home after we decided to cut the day short to meet other obligations. That is not an unusual distance for me to drive to go caching but it is more caches than we usually find in a day. Doesn't bother me to drive 50 or even 100 miles to another area of the state to explore that area and maybe visit a State/County/City Park I've not been to and find 4 or 5 caches.

I don't drive to caches much anymore since I found out that Vinny has this sweet hovercraft that he is happy to loan to fellow geocachers (just drop him a PM if you want to borrow it :) ). Gets you where you want to go without having to bother with roads and traffic and traditional parking and the high cost of petrol, etc.

But today he had already loaned it to someone else. So once I remembered where I left it, I drove my Jeep just over 50 miles (round trip) for no other reason than to see if the terrain rating for a cache we've been discussing in the forums was appropriate.

Oh, and Vinny? Can I hosey the hovercraft for next weekend before someone else grabs it? There's an island cache I need to do. Thanks, you're the best!

:)

:D

I don't know what you are laughing at. You were the one that messed up the CD player in the hovercraft that time you used it to go 'dune skimming' just outside of Yuma Arizona. Now the rest of are stuck listening only to the radio. Thanks for that. :)

Howdy......

I went and found 6 caches today. Today is also the first time I have kept tract of mileage.

The entire round trip was 130 miles and about 4 1/2 hours. Is that a lot or is that average for a weekend day???! It also blew out the $30.00 worth of gas I put in yesterday...('87 Ford Bronco...next long one I will take the Toyota truck...)

What is your experence......

Vern / Foothills Drifter... :)

Howdy......

I just did a CO-FTF with 3 other cachers......add another 10 miles...

Vern / Foothills Drifter...

Edited by Foothills Drifter

Drove and Rode three hours each way to attend CITO Cemetery Restoration Event...

I'm with SixDogTeam on this one. Great 2 day event. I only did day one of the 2 day event. Didn't do a milage count but straight line distance to the location was slightly over 113 miles one way. Want to know more about the event check it out here GC15H67.

I don't drive to caches much anymore since I found out that Vinny has this sweet hovercraft that he is happy to loan to fellow geocachers (just drop him a PM if you want to borrow it :D ). Gets you where you want to go without having to bother with roads and traffic and traditional parking and the high cost of petrol, etc.

No! :D:D Anything connected with any rumors of our possibly owning a hovercraft is NEVER to be discussed on the forums! That topic is taboo here! B):)

B)

According to Google Maps, it looks like 162 miles today round trip and we did 5 caches. Some of that mileage was in the wrong direction to stop by the Wildebeast's house to pick him up. The weather was absolutely perfect today and worthy of going a little further for a fun caching trip up to a state park. And there were a lot of people up there today so I guess everyone else had the same idea.