GPSMAP 60CSx

Team TJ

I just purchased a 60CSx and would like to update the map. What map software do I need?

I'm going to primarily use this unit on my Dual Sport motorcycle and Jeep with some Geocaching thrown in. I'd love a map that shows most forest roads and most new pavement roads.

I was going to buy Topo 2008 and City Navigator NT but then I started reading and found a 2008 update. Can I just get the 2008 software or do I have to buy City Navigator then get the 2008 update.

Do I even need the Topo software?

Thanks

I have both City Navigator and an older version of Topo (purchased on eBay) on my Vista HCx. That version of Topo shows many forest roads and some trails, especially if the trails started out being "roads" many years ago. Being able to see the contour lines and drainages is helpful when I am hiking.

I like the auto-routing feature of City Navigator, and if I could only have one set of maps, that is the one I would get. :)

I too just bought a 60CSx and I am wondering if you can clarify something for me.

Can you load say TOPO 2008 and City Navigator 2008, on the same GPSr at the same time?

So that I can get my full TOPO details for doing long hikes in the woods, yet still get the autorouting functions of City Navigator.

Thanks in advance.

I too just bought a 60CSx and I am wondering if you can clarify something for me.

Can you load say TOPO 2008 and City Navigator 2008, on the same GPSr at the same time?

So that I can get my full TOPO details for doing long hikes in the woods, yet still get the autorouting functions of City Navigator.

Thanks in advance.

I know you can load them both on the same unit but you can only have one running at a time. You'll have to pick between TOPO and City Nav.

When you are looking at the map, you choose Menu. Then, from that page, make sure you are looking at the option that displays the map. Then, from Menu, you choose to "Show Topo" or "Hide City Navigator" or whichever map you want to see.

If you are out hiking, and have Topo showing, don't forget to switch back to City Navigator before asking the unit to auto-navigate. If you are a long way from a road on the base map, it gets very confused . . . :sad:

Ask me how I learned that . . . :grin:

I just got CN and hope to get Topo soon. It's nice to know that you can load both on at the same time. If I may ask, how large of a memory card did you need to load both?

Well, I've got TOPO 2008 maps and City Navigator 2008 maps for the midwest (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, IN and OH) and 1:24k maps for MN and WI state parks and it all comes to 687.3MB. So imho, a 1GB seems to be the sweet spot right now. I picked up my 1Gb MicroSD card a couple weeks ago at Officemax for $14.99.

FYI I would also purchase either National Parks East ,West or Central if you are going to be going in any of them as they have more detail than topo 2oo8 does ,also the GPS will automatically use the most detailed maps that it has loaded and of course you can overide this buy dissableing a map.I have Topo USA 2008,Topo Canada and Topo USA National Parks West.All of these do show lots of roads,a few trails,even the steet I live on,my Topo Canada shows almost every street in my city,but none of these show food,fuel,stores or whatever else city Nav. might show,but if all you need is streets try out your topo 2008 first,it showed all the streets in Birch Bay Washington a place so small You can drive across it in about 15 minutes.

FYI I would also purchase either National Parks East ,West or Central if you are going to be going in any of them as they have more detail than topo 2oo8 does ,also the GPS will automatically use the most detailed maps that it has loaded

I have MapSource Topo U.S 2008 on the way with my 60CSx. This you mention about it automatically using the more detailed topo info sounds great. So to be clear: when you install the NPs and the topo 2008, it replaces automatically the data in the NP areas with the 24k, or do you have to set it up to do that manually the first time?

IMHO, it sounds like perhaps Garmin should include the Topo 2008 data with the higher-detailed NP package, so it would only be a single upload.

I just got CN and hope to get Topo soon. It's nice to know that you can load both on at the same time. If I may ask, how large of a memory card did you need to load both?

Well, I've got TOPO 2008 maps and City Navigator 2008 maps for the midwest (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, IN and OH) and 1:24k maps for MN and WI state parks and it all comes to 687.3MB. So imho, a 1GB seems to be the sweet spot right now. I picked up my 1Gb MicroSD card a couple weeks ago at Officemax for $14.99.

Well, I picked up a 2 GB for about $25 so I'll have to play around with it now. Thanks!!

Fogtripper..When you have Topo 2008 loaded and have one of the National park topos 24k loaded you wont have to do anything.When my zoom is set at 20 km (We are metric in Canada),you can see small rectangles clumped together outlining the area that is covered by the greater detailed maps as you zoom in you will also see a color change at the borders.To turn on or off a set of maps .Go to the map screen,press menu once select ,setup map,press enter,select Map setup-imformation at the top,you can now scroll and turn on/off individual maps,or press menu again to access a screen that shows all the different map sets you have loaded,ie Topo 2008 USA,Topo Canada, Topo National Parks West,Americas Marine points,Basemap,City Navigator etc..You can turn on/off any set or any individual map,but your GPS will automatically select the best one with the most detail ,its software driven,unless of course you dissable it as described.Hope this helps ,if not just ask again.

Fogtripper..When you have Topo 2008 loaded and have one of the National park topos 24k loaded you wont have to do anything.When my zoom is set at 20 km (We are metric in Canada),you can see small rectangles clumped together outlining the area that is covered by the greater detailed maps as you zoom in you will also see a color change at the borders.To turn on or off a set of maps .Go to the map screen,press menu once select ,setup map,press enter,select Map setup-imformation at the top,you can now scroll and turn on/off individual maps,or press menu again to access a screen that shows all the different map sets you have loaded,ie Topo 2008 USA,Topo Canada, Topo National Parks West,Americas Marine points,Basemap,City Navigator etc..You can turn on/off any set or any individual map,but your GPS will automatically select the best one with the most detail ,its software driven,unless of course you dissable it as described.Hope this helps ,if not just ask again.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Hi,

I've been reading this with interest. I've just downloaded Topo 2008 and City Nav. N America NT to my 60Csx. Is there a way to switch between the maps? When I went through the description above on my unit I found I had an endless list of maps! Do I have to switch these off and on manually? I was hoping there was a way to switch from Topo to City and back again more simply than that! I'm finding this very difficult to get from the manual.

Steve

Stephen ,when you get to that list of maps,press menu again and now it will display a list of the different map sets ,software that you have loaded.It will say HIDE or SHOW beside each map software set.Hide of course turns it off.The GPS will automatically pick the one which it deems best,I guess there is a hidden software program that checks all the loaded software,but it can be overiden by selecting the hide feature.Oh by the way the Garmin mannual,as thick as it is,does not explain alot of things about either the GPS unit itself or GPS in general.The mannual is very vague in some areas of unit operation ,so if in doubt ,just ask .

Edited by Forkeye

Steve ,when you get to that list of maps,press menu again and now it will display a list of the different map sets ,software that you have loaded.It will say HIDE or SHOW beside each map software set.Hide of course turns it off.The GPS will automatically pick the one which it deems best,I guess there is a hidden software program that checks all the loaded software,but it can be overiden by selecting the hide feature.Oh by the way the Garmin mannual,as thick as it is,does not explain alot of things about either the GPS unit itself or GPS in general.The mannual is very vague in some areas of unit operation ,so if in doubt ,just ask .

Thanks, that was really helpful. If the automatic program is selecting the maps can you tell me if there is a way to tell what map it is selecting?

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks, that was really helpful. If the automatic program is selecting the maps can you tell me if there is a way to tell what map it is selecting?

Thanks,

Steve

Garmin Mapsource maps have a hierarchy that determines which "map set" will be dispalyed on your GPSr. The following is the map hierarchy with CN always displaying first when loaded with other map sets and all map sets are selected to "Show". As a rule of thumb, the most detailed maps (being street level maps) will always be displayed on the GPSr, hiding all other map sets loaded on the GPSr unless hidden in the GPSr Map Setup. Not real sure where U.S. Inland Lakes and Blue Chart fall into this order but would think that it would be right under MetroGuide. Maybe someone else can comment who uses Blue Chart.

CN

CitySelect

MetroGuide

Fishing Hot Spots

Waterways and Lights

Roads and Rec.

Basemap

Edited by eaparks

Sorry Stephen ,I dont know of any way that the GPS indicates which map set it is using.I think its safe to assume that in the city any of the street level map sets would have priority over a topo map ,and in the country ,the topo maps would show up.I can tell you that the GPS picks topo 24 k over topo 2008 if you have both loaded,but of course only in the areas where they overlap.I am not 100% sure but I think topo 2008 overides the basemap,that came on your unit.Just play with it ,you will figure it out .

Edited by Forkeye