Black Hills, South Dakota

Parzival

I'd like to talk about the caches in and around the Black Hills region in South Dakota. Anybody visit recently? Any pics? Any "Must Do" caches there?

I haven't been back since I started caching, but I grew up in the Black Hills and can talk about the area. I even have a few pics.

First, any excuse to drive through Spearfish Canyon (US Hwy 14A between Deadwood and Spearfish) is a good one. There are a few caches in that area, and you'll want to check the terrain ratings on them as there can be some significant obstacles on those. One of my favorite areas is a side canyon through which runs Crow Creek. There is a cache near Devil's Bathtub (GCGD8D), a natural swimming hole on Crow Creek. Beautiful area. I posted a picture in the logs for your viewing pleasure. As far as I'm concerned the cache would just be icing on the cake. I would also recommend checking out Roughlock Falls which also has a cache. And just up the road from there is one of the filming sites for Dances With Wolves.

The drive on Maitland road is also very pretty and off the beaten track. There is one cache out that way, I see.

Custer State Park in the Southern Hills is full of wonderful sights and there are a few caches there as well. No caches allowed on the grounds of Wind Cave National Park, of course but there are a couple on the outskirts if I'm not mistaken. And someone else already mentioned caches in the area of Mt. Rushmore.

Honestly, if you like hiking through the woods, it's hard to go wrong with the Black Hills, and there are quite a number of caches in the Hills themselves thanks to quite a few private homesteads and other private lands that were carved out of the National Forest in the last Century.

Edited by geogeekSDTX

OMG, Yes!!! I just returned from three days caching in the Black Hills area and I absolutely loved it! I agree that Spearfish Canyon is a wonderful place and should not be missed. The Mount Rushmore area is also gorgeous and has some fine caches.

Of course, what one person considers the epitome of caching, others consider the antithesis of it. But when in my "home caching area" of Mpls/St Paul, I could care less about an ammo box in the woods, and generally prefer a well hidden, challenging small or micro, this vacation gave me a new appreciation for an easy to find ammo box after a challenging hike to get to it. I will also say that without exception, EVERY cache that I found was very well stocked and maintained. I was very impressed, to say the least.

Of the caches that I did, here are some of my favorites:

Black Hills Mines #2 (Ingersoll Mine) (GCJAFD)

Its a pretty good hike up the mountain, but well worth it to see this old gold mine.

11th Hour Cache (GCNEZ5)

This would be a lot tougher without some "helpers" that others have put in place (see the gallery for more on the helpers)

Lucky Cache (GCGD1N)

This one is a REALLY good hike up the mountain, and a tricky slide/climb down, but rewarding.

Annie Creek Railroad Cache (GC74C8)

I DNF'd this one, and its a long, long walk in, even after a fair drive, but it will put you almost at the top of the mountains.

There were plenty of others that sounded at least as exciting, but frankly, I ran out of time. Gee... guess I'll just have to go back there next spring, huh?

Also, see my DNF log for Brown Bridge (GCXC0E) in Sioux Falls if you're in that area. Do it at night. Yeah, I didn't find it... doesn't matter... read my log. You'll see.

There is a cache near Devil's Bathtub (GCGD8D), a natural swimming hole on Crow Creek. Beautiful area.

I had that one loaded up, but couldn't find an entry point. If I remember right, I was within tenths of a mile several times, but no road or trailhead was apparent.

I would also recommend checking out Roughlock Falls which also has a cache. And just up the road from there is one of the filming sites for Dances With Wolves.

There is? Shoot!! I spent one night at the lodge right there at the head of the trail into Roughlock, and I drove up to the second campground. Didn't have any caches loaded for that area!

PS: As far as the lodge goes, I can only recommend it for its ooooohhhhh so nice beds and clean rooms. The prices and the service... no thanks! (their website says "starting at $69". Try $169. The $69 is a "once a year special" (what... April Fool's Day?)

You didn't go far enough down the iron mountain road to do my cache.....sigh.

:)

Looks like you had fun!

I know... I was close. So close. But I had to be back by Sunday night and that was an all-day drive from Rapid City. I actually had several of yours loaded up and printed out. I just plain ran out of time.

Don't worry... I'm going to try to get back there this next spring/summer. I also want to bring my flyrod and goldpan along, though, so I'd better plan on at least a week!

The city of Keystone is looking for new ways to promote tourism in town. A local paper had this note from Sandy McLain who is a newly elected board member for the city. "With more than 400 geocaches in the Black Hills, Keystone hopes to grab the attention of geocaching enthusiasts"

That is encouraging.

You didn't go far enough down the iron mountain road to do my cache.....sigh.

:ph34r:

Looks like you had fun!

I'm hoping to make another trip out there in a week or two. Going to try to get at least one StarBrand cache on the trip. Probably more, 'cause I think I'll be starting further south than I did last trip.

The city of Keystone is looking for new ways to promote tourism in town. A local paper had this note from Sandy McLain who is a newly elected board member for the city. "With more than 400 geocaches in the Black Hills, Keystone hopes to grab the attention of geocaching enthusiasts"

That is encouraging.

After spending three days and nights there, I have some thoughts on that.

1) STOP playing 50's rock 'n roll in the streets and in every restaraunt from sunrise to sunset. By the 2nd day, I was ready to scream.

2) Get some better quality and more varied food. True I was there in the off-season (October) but the food was terrible.

3) Remodel the place to look less like Frontier World.

I LOVE the area, LOVE the caches, but HATE that town with a vengence.

That is encouraging.

1) STOP playing 50's rock 'n roll in the streets and in every restaraunt from sunrise to sunset. By the 2nd day, I was ready to scream.

2) Get some better quality and more varied food. True I was there in the off-season (October) but the food was terrible.

That is just too darn funny to comment on! :laughing:

That is encouraging.

Next time stay in Hill City (only during the "off" season). Or go South and stay in Hot Springs.