Caching with a Crossover

kenai16

Does anyone know what format to use to upload caches from the website to an SD card that will work on the Magellan Crossover? Is it possible to load them with all the names, hints, etc.?

Hello: I really do hope that you have a significantly more rewarding experience getting that unit to be useful and somewhat user friendly in the game of geocaching than I did. I didn't find it to be so. Ended up getting its earlier cousin the straight 2200, love it. I have yet to see a manufacturer build a single unit that works equally well as both a handheld GPSr and an automobile navigator. I have doubts that it is an exercise worht their investment......perhaps someday, who knows.

Have you tried Maggie's tech support? Yeah yeah I know they are pretty bad for sure. However on this this one they were very helpful when I talked to them. They essentially admitted that the unit was not a wise choice for geocaching and they are getting literally hundreds of calls a day from customers who are experienceing very significant useability issues. I was never able to quite figure it out myself and after this info from their tech support, it was "re-purchased" by COSTCO. :)

If you do manage to get it functioning reasonably well, I'd like to hear about what steps you took. Near as I can tell you'll be the first. :)

Sad thing is that the time Magellan was advertising the unit as if it was actually suitable for use as a geocaching, user friendly unit. Trust me it wasn't and unless they have made gigantic gains in its useability it probably still isn't.

Edited by Team Cotati

I'm sure the "Export to Magellan" option in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) will work for that unit. If you use GSAK to send the waypoints to your GPSr, it is easy to get the name of the cache, and even part of the hint using the codes in the "Smart Name" feature.

This is the code I use for the Waypoint name:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

You can customize those codes to get information you are interested in, like if you want to know if there is a TB in the cache. To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank:

%Name=10 %hint

On Edit . . . After reading Team Cotati's response, I see that this Magellan unit might not work like their others and GSAK may not work for it. If that is true, that wasn't a very smart move on Magellan's part . . . :)

Edited by Miragee

Yes, I once went caching with a cross-dresser, but unknowingly, of course. You see, I was in New Orleans a few months ago, and, while hanging out in a bar on Bourbon Street, I met (what seemed to be) a beautiful woman named Lola. Anyway, she offered to accompany me on my upcoming geocaching outing for the remainder of the afternoon, and I said yes, and thus she geocached with me for the next few hours in the urban areas of New Orleans and in a few surrounding rural areas. After our geo excursion, and around the time that I dropped her off at her apartment house, she told me that she needed to tell me the "truth" about something, and she confided in me that "she" was really a cross-dresser, and "she" explained that folks with her leanings are also known as a "transvrestialites". Well, I can tell you that I was shocked! Very strange! But gee, it sounds like this same kinda thing has happened to you, too, and to the other posters on this thread as well! You have each gone geocaching with cross-dressers too! Amazing! Small world! An entire thread devoted to this matter!

Oh!.... uh...

:D

duh....

:)

blush!.... I see... the thread title says "crossover", and not "cross-dresser"! Oops!

My bad! ...sorry for the error! :D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Yes, I once went caching with a cross-dresser, but unknowingly, of course. You see, I was in New Orleans a few months ago, and, while hanging out in a bar on Bourbon Street, I met (what seemed to be) a beautiful woman named Lola. Anyway, she offered to accompany me on my upcoming geocaching outing for the remainder of the afternoon, and I said yes, and thus she geocached with me for the next few hours in the urban areas of New Orleans and in a few surrounding rural areas. After our geo excursion, and around the time that I dropped her off at her apartment house, she told me that she needed to tell me the "truth" about something, and she confided in me that "she" was really a cross-dresser, and "she" explained that folks with her leanings are also known as a "transvrestialites". Well, I can tell you that I was shocked! Very strange! But gee, it sounds like this same kinda thing has happened to you, too, and to the other posters on this thread as well! You have each gone geocaching with cross-dressers too! Amazing! Small world! An entire thread devoted to this matter!

Oh!.... uh...

duh....

blush!.... I see... the thread title says "crossover", and not "cross-dresser"! Oops!

10,000 comedians out of work and we get Vinny. :D

Edited by Team Cotati

Oh!.... uh...

duh....

10,000 comedians out of work and we get Vinny. :D

I bet I know what "Lola" stuck in his cache too.

YIKES!!!!!

Didja sign the lo....

Nope. I can't do it!

:) You are facing the same problem I faced in writing my original post -- at the close, there were just sooo many opportunities for double entenderes and triple entenderes, but, upon closer inspection, almost all of them seemed to be just a wee bit over the line, and so I had to say to myself: "No!" :):D

Y'know, I betcha if Flask were here, armed with her impressive literary skills, she could come up with several really good jokes based upon my earlier post, but, alas and alack, all posts from her seem to have ceased about 32 days ago! I have not been able to decide in the interim if she has been abducted by aliens, banned from posting, or moved on to another sport.

Back to my original question...Does any one know how to upload caches to a Magellan Crossover "GPSr". I know it is not the best for this, but I would like to experiment with it. I have a Explorist 600 which I use for geocaching normally. I just need to know what format file does the Crossover use for cachies.

Back to my original question...Does any one know how to upload caches to a Magellan Crossover "GPSr". I know it is not the best for this, but I would like to experiment with it. I have a Explorist 600 which I use for geocaching normally. I just need to know what format file does the Crossover use for cachies.

If you really want an answer, you will do much better asking the mods to move the thread to the GPS Units and Software section of the forum. In that forum section, your question will be sure to be seen by far more folks who may have an answer for you.

If you really want an answer, you will do much better asking the mods to move the thread to the GPS Units and Software section of the forum. In that forum section, your question will be sure to be seen by far more folks who may have an answer for you.

I have it posted there to under Magellan Crossover, no replies at all. Thanks though.

I have a Magellan Meridian Gold and a Magellan Crossover. I have tried a couple different techniques to auto load geocache waypoints. The instructions provided if you follow the link mentioned a few posts ahead of mine works great. Only problem is that it loads up your address book.

The Crossover works best for me when I key in the coordinates manually, same as I have to w/ my Gold unit. This puts me right on the cache every time. One plus, if I save the waypoint as a favorite, I can access it in the road Nav mode through the address book and get turn by turn directions to the cache. Which ideally is what I was hoping this unit would do.

I would like to see Magellan come out with a software upgrade to correct the Magellan tools program. Or a firmware upgrade to correct the crossover unit, whatever. I don't like the fact that when you load coordinates into a file in decimal format then load the file from pc to crossover, the crossover changes the coordinates. What the hecks up with that. If the crossover would keep the entered coordinates the same, this would be a pretty decent unit. In road Nav mode you can access your geocache filecreated using the tools program, select nearest and go from there. That way you could ideally load a bunch of caches into a file, access the file wherever you are and find the caches nearest your location. If the geeks at Magellan were on the ball, this could be a killer box.

I would like to see Magellan come out with a software upgrade to correct the Magellan tools program.

I don't think we are going to be seeing any upgrades to the tools program. However, the new Magellan VantagePoint software is supposed to be out soon, which says it is compatible with the Crossover.

Could be good news? But we won't know for user until it is out.... I'll remain optimistic about it :D

http://www.myxj.net/blog/?p=256