Garmin 60cs unlock code question

cajunsis

I purchased a Garmin 60cs several years ago. Right before Katrina I purchased the City Select v6 which after much todo we finally got the code unlocked and I have used daily on my GPS.

My computer crashed last month. I loaded the MapSource disc on the new one and it says I need an unlock code. I have no idea where it is. I called Support who says I never registered it - basically tough luck. I have no reason not to have, but I guess with the Katrina/Rita ordeals it might have happened, though I doubt it. I have searched and searched, but I keep all of my discs in one place and though there are 4 discs total (with the original set up discs on 2 Garmin 60cs gps') there is no unlock code - either for mapsource OR for the city select. I even have all the little booklets! I am helpless with out it, and I guess I have no way to get it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am very frustrated. We paid $400 each for 2 GPS's, and another $200 for the City Select to put on them. I am nearly in tears and have no idea what to do next.

Euvah

I'm surprised that was the response from Garmin Technical Support because they have always been so helpful to me when I have called. I have three City Select discs . . . one is the Setup, the other two have the data. With the discs, I have an "Unlock Certificate" on which there is an eight-digit number used to get the other Unlock Code for the maps.

Did you change the email address you used when you got the first Unlock Code? Did you ever create a "My Garmin" account? I would call back tomorrow morning and talk to a different Customer Service representative or even a supervisor and explain the situation again. If you have the maps on your GPSr, that is "proof" you had the Unlock Code before.

I purchased a Garmin 60cs several years ago. Right before Katrina I purchased the City Select v6 which after much todo we finally got the code unlocked and I have used daily on my GPS.

My computer crashed last month. I loaded the MapSource disc on the new one and it says I need an unlock code. I have no idea where it is. I called Support who says I never registered it - basically tough luck. I have no reason not to have, but I guess with the Katrina/Rita ordeals it might have happened, though I doubt it. I have searched and searched, but I keep all of my discs in one place and though there are 4 discs total (with the original set up discs on 2 Garmin 60cs gps') there is no unlock code - either for mapsource OR for the city select. I even have all the little booklets! I am helpless with out it, and I guess I have no way to get it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am very frustrated. We paid $400 each for 2 GPS's, and another $200 for the City Select to put on them. I am nearly in tears and have no idea what to do next.

Euvah

The unlock codes that you entered when you unlocked the maps can be extracted from the gmapsupp.img files from the gps units that you have loaded the maps to. You'll need to transfer the file from the gps and then use a hex editor to view the file.

Download sendmap20 from here:

http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm

and use that to transfer the maps from the gps to the pc.

Then load the file into a hex editor. In the hex editor go to the bottom of the file and then search up for the string "City Select North" without the quotes. Before this string you will see a string of 25 characters, this is your unlock code.