pros and cons

furglasses

what do you mean see the position of your caching partners position? you mean the rhino's can track eachothers position? how?

On Garmin's web page for the Rino 530HCx, it says this:

Find Your Friends

Like the rest of the Rino series, Rino 530HCx offers a unique Position Reporting feature. Position Reporting lets you send your exact location to other Rino users in your group so that everyone can see your position on the map page. And, because Rino is a standard FRS/GMRS radio, you can use it to communicate with any other conventional FRS/GMRS radio around.

Also on that page is a link to the user's manual for that model, which goes into this feature in more detail. (See the section labeled "Peer-to-Peer positioning" startin on page 19 of the manual.)

I have an older set of the Rinos and am quite disapointed by them. Just about .3 miles away from the Jeep in medium tree cover was enough to kill the signal back to my wife. Get just a few rodcks or a small hill and you will not communicate at all even over a short distance. I even was up a large hill one time with my wife .28 away and just 2 stands of trees and she heard nothing.

The stated range only works on a clear sunny day with zero obstacles in between the units. Not parctical in the hilly areas that I cache in.

I have an older set of the Rinos and am quite disapointed by them. Just about .3 miles away from the Jeep in medium tree cover was enough to kill the signal back to my wife. Get just a few rodcks or a small hill and you will not communicate at all even over a short distance. I even was up a large hill one time with my wife .28 away and just 2 stands of trees and she heard nothing.

The stated range only works on a clear sunny day with zero obstacles in between the units. Not parctical in the hilly areas that I cache in.

Oh man thats terribe, what model? because Ive been hearing some cool stuff about the 530hcx.. not only that you can track eachothers position..

Oh man thats terribe, what model? because Ive been hearing some cool stuff about the 530hcx.. not only that you can track eachothers position..

The 130's.