Has there ever been a coin made with a hologram?

Nochipra

we had one in the makes but it ended up too expensive and we wpulf have had to buy way too many. We were really disappointed . Its called a linticular (sp) coin.

Actually, there are a couple of different ways to do it. Lenticular is probably the most expensive. (And it's not a hologram, but it is 3D.)

There is also the "regular" type of hologram, made with lasers. They tend to have a greenish look to them. You see them around periodically as novelty items (such as eye glasses that have hologram eyes on them and as keychains, etc).

What might be the least expensive means is the "foil" hologram. These also have 3D look, more color than a regular hologram, but not quite as much depth. The best example I've seen of this kind are the hologram stamps that the US Post Office issued, pre-printed on #10 envelopes a few years back.

I'd certainly pony out some money for a coin like this...!

(My other hobby is 3D photography... :) )

stickerooni

I had to check with the creator to be sure I could answer this. There is in fact a coin in the works with this type of "hologram". Samples have already been made and final revisions are under way. I'm sure when the owner returns to a computer they will be able to provide more information.

Thank you Jen :) . Indeed there is one in the works and it has been months in the works at that!! It will indeed be a lenticular lens and it will be a face to face trade coin due to the expense of making this coin. I have two sets of samples already. I made revisions and I am currently waiting for the third set of samples before final sign off!! Stay tuned!!

Those of you that know of some of my problems in the last few months, if I could of cancelled this project I probably would have it has been an expensive project :) !

However the flip side to that it should be the first lenticular lens coin :D !

I had to check with the creator to be sure I could answer this. There is in fact a coin in the works with this type of "hologram". Samples have already been made and final revisions are under way. I'm sure when the owner returns to a computer they will be able to provide more information.

Thank you Jen :( . Indeed there is one in the works and it has been months in the works at that!! It will indeed be a lenticular lens and it will be a face to face trade coin due to the expense of making this coin. I have two sets of samples already. I made revisions and I am currently waiting for the third set of samples before final sign off!! Stay tuned!!

Those of you that know of some of my problems in the last few months, if I could of cancelled this project I probably would have it has been an expensive project :( !

However the flip side to that it should be the first lenticular lens coin :o !

Buddy... come visit me.. soon!!! Plenty of room for you and BooBoo to crash here! :ph34r:

I always remember the foil holograms on the front of several issues of National Geographic.

Thank you Jen ;) . Indeed there is one in the works and it has been months in the works at that!! It will indeed be a lenticular lens and it will be a face to face trade coin due to the expense of making this coin. I have two sets of samples already. I made revisions and I am currently waiting for the third set of samples before final sign off!! Stay tuned!!

Those of you that know of some of my problems in the last few months, if I could of cancelled this project I probably would have it has been an expensive project :) !

However the flip side to that it should be the first lenticular lens coin :) !

Buddy... come visit me.. soon!!! Plenty of room for you and BooBoo to crash here! :D

I always remember the foil holograms on the front of several issues of National Geographic.

OOOHHHHHH, let me tell you how I wish I could take you up on this offer B) !!!! I would love to visit you in NZ, what does it cost to fly anyway?

Just as a side note I was suppose to go to Europe this last year and didn't make it due to buying a house. So the thought of NZ just rocks!!!

Edited by Damenace

We looked into making a lenticular lens coin last year but the client decided against it due to the costs involved. It can certainly be done though and we're sure looking forward to seeing how it turns out Damenace...

Would you keep one aside for us in case we're in Utah again next summer :)... then again, Vancouver Island is really nice to visit too ;)

We looked into making a lenticular lens coin last year but the client decided against it due to the costs involved. It can certainly be done though and we're sure looking forward to seeing how it turns out Damenace...

Would you keep one aside for us in case we're in Utah again next summer :)... then again, Vancouver Island is really nice to visit too ;)

Absolutely I will save one for your next trip to Utah. I wish we could have bumped into each other during your last trip.

I will be doing 100 coins so there will be plenty for face to face trading. I should add that I will only be doing limited quantities when I attend events(5 to 10), so it is of your best interest to find me early and bring your traders!!!

However the flip side to that it should be the first lenticular lens coin :laughing: !

For clarification: is it the first lenticular coin, or first lenticular geocoin?

Geocoin, I hope :lol: .

It will probably be the first geocoin with a lenticular lens, but we have already made several regular coins with lenticualr lenses. We have a design in the works for a geocoin with a lens, but we are slow at this one since there are many other burning projects first in line.

Here are pictures of the Australian Pig lenticular coin Need to get one with a goat instead of a pig!

That is a legal tender Australian coin, not a geocoin (though with a sale price of AU$88 and a true value of AU$1 it could be a geocoin :rolleyes:) See http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/lent...e-pig-coin.aspx for the actual coin page.

How many different ways are there to produce a lenticular lense affect? Is there a cheap way, or is the outcome only achieved by high precision only?

mm

Believe it or not the new (well, new as of 2000) japanese 500 yen coins use a lenticular effect in the actual stamped metal of the coin! Take a look - When viewed from the top, the zeros in the 500 appear to be filled with decorative lines, but when you tilt the coin at an angle you see this:

new500_4p1.jpg

http://www.mint.go.jp/eng/operations/coin/new500-02.html

apparently the 2 pound coin has the same technology. Really neat effect - I kept one of the coins from my last trip (a pricey keepsake!)

I am sure this is a seriously complex die to make, and is way too crazy for a geocoin. But if anyone is up for trying I'd trade for one! :)