I got engaged at a geocache today!

navaid

My girlfriend and I went caching today - well, I should say, a girlfriend came in, and fiancée came out!

We flew to Arlington Airport. She got the GPS out and plugged the coordinates in. After some walking and a little bushwhacking, we found the cache without any problem. She pulled it out of its bag and signed the log. Then I handed her the rest of the trinkets and said, "Pick something you'd like to take home." I had slipped a ring into the cache while she was busy with the log. Luckily, that's the trinket she selected! Then I asked her if she'd marry me. She said yes. Hooray!

Thanks for the cache - left ring, took fiancée, signed log.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...e0-29bbb3a2ce51

My girlfriend and I went caching today - well, I should say, a girlfriend came in, and fiancée came out!

We flew to Arlington Airport. She got the GPS out and plugged the coordinates in. After some walking and a little bushwhacking, we found the cache without any problem. She pulled it out of its bag and signed the log. Then I handed her the rest of the trinkets and said, "Pick something you'd like to take home." I had slipped a ring into the cache while she was busy with the log. Luckily, that's the trinket she selected! Then I asked her if she'd marry me. She said yes. Hooray!

Thanks for the cache - left ring, took fiancée, signed log.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...e0-29bbb3a2ce51

Congrats! :o

on sat the 22nd of sept I did something similar. early in the morning i planted a micro with an engagement ring in it in a bush under an overlook 150 ft above and overlooking Lake Michigan. Then I went to a cito event. After that i picked her up and we went to the state park near muskegon michigan and followed the pretty red arrow to the waypoint that i marked earlier when i hid the "cache". i told here there was a real cache there and let her find it. She was very happy to find the micro and the look on her face when she opened it up was priceless!!! She said "theres a ring in here" She poured the ring onto the palm of her hand and thats when she realized it was a real ring and not some toy that someone had left before. Her jaw dropped, she had no idea this was going to happen, and thats when i took the ring out of the palm of her and and got on a knee and asked her to marry me. She said yes right away (thanks naomi for not leaving me hanging) and was almost speechless for the next hour. The tears welling up in her eyes said it all. She didn't have to say a word.

June 21 2008 is the big day. Seeing the joy in her eyes when i asked her to marry me made me the happiest man in the world.

early in the morning i planted a micro with an engagement ring in it in a bush under an overlook 150 ft above and overlooking Lake Michigan.

See, now, you actually put the ring in the cache and walked away from it. I can't imagine how you managed that one. Was that real gold and diamond? 'Cause I don't think I could leave real gold and diamond, bought with my own money, on the ground with the hope that it would still be there when I got back.

Congratulations, by the way.

Congrats!!! It would have been quite disappointing had she picked a McToy over the ring, but from the looks of the picture there wasn't much chance of that happening! :) Glad your plan worked out well!

When I got engaged, there was no such thing as geocaching. But I returned to the spot where I popped the question and put a cache there earlier this year. It'll always be a special place for my wife and I, just like that cache will always be a special place for you two. Congrats again!!

How incredible! :) That is a great story and we offer our congratulations on your engagement. Now it's time to arrange for that ammo can wedding cake. :)

You know, it might be possible. You could use that ammo can like a dutch oven. You'd have to take out the rubber gasket first, though. By the way, ever had a campfire-cooked peach cobbler from a dutch oven? Two boxes of dry batter and two sticks of butter topped with two large cans of pie filling, topped with two more boxes of dry batter and two sticks of butter; drop it in the fire and shovel coals on it; sing campfire songs until it's done, then take it out and eat it while it's hot. You'll be burning-hot on the inside and freezing-cold on the outside. Then you go to bed and pray like crazy that you don't die of a heart attack. Great memories.

Thanks, everyone, for your well-wishing! My girlfriend -- no, wait, fiancee -- and I have enjoyed reading them. You're right, I am lucky to have found someone who is so willing to go on adventures (geocaching and otherwise) with me. Hope to see you at many caches in the future!

early in the morning i planted a micro with an engagement ring in it in a bush under an overlook 150 ft above and overlooking Lake Michigan.

See, now, you actually put the ring in the cache and walked away from it. I can't imagine how you managed that one. Was that real gold and diamond? 'Cause I don't think I could leave real gold and diamond, bought with my own money, on the ground with the hope that it would still be there when I got back.

Congratulations, by the way.

It was the real deal allright. I was a bit nervous leaving it out there but i figured i had some experience hiding caches that were kinda tough to find so i took the chance. The chance was worth it when i saw the look on her face. :ph34r: