Discovered Geo-coins list?

dardevle

I have an idea and whether or not it is a good one or not is a matter of opinion. My idea is that I would like to see a section in cachers account page for discovered geo-coins!! There are some cachers out there whose collection of coins will not be released but they WANT people to "discover" them. Yet cachers will not discover them because it combines there discovered with moved trackables list. I know I like to look back and see where some of the coins and TBs' that I have moved are at but it gets time consuming when I see the ones I've discoverd on the same list. I think that a list for Trackables disovered would be the answer. That way people who love "The icons" would still be able to have there list and cachers who move and discover Trackables can keep them seperate. I love to discover trackables and get icons and I really like to get them moving also. If someone only has coins to discover,I WILL discover them but like I said I would like to see them kept sepperate. Is it possible to get Groundspeak to change this if enough people are in favor?

-Dardevle-

In a similar vein from the other side, would be nice if there was a "collected" section versus "released" section in the trackables list for a cacher.

There would need to be way to identify if an activated coin is kept or released. Many people activate coins and place them in an archived or unpublished cache as a placeholder. There would need to be way to tell these coins apart from coins that are released into a cache to travel.

But it would be cool to have a "discovered" list.

I am not sure but I think it would be fairly easy to make another list option for discovered. When you log a coin or tb you have to choose the option" write note, discovered,grabbed from, or grabbed from somewhere else. If you discover or move a trackable it already shows what you did by what option you selected and so it could go into that folder.

Interesting

You could then have a given icon in one list, the other, or both

For the same coin, even !

I'd also like to see an icon count somewhere on the trackables section of your profile

At events, people often ask "So, how many icons do you have ?"

After a while, it gets increasingly difficult to count them

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone have any idea what the sort order is for the 'icons?' It's not by number of coins found/discovered, and it's not alphabetical by type. Any ideas?

By the icon file name, not sure if that maps to some unique ID in their grand database or not.

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone have any idea what the sort order is for the 'icons?' It's not by number of coins found/discovered, and it's not alphabetical by type. Any ideas?

The icons are sorted by the creation date of the coin. The first coin ever produced was the Moun10Bike..then USA..then...until the most recent is the bottom icon.

The icons are sorted by the creation date of the coin. The first coin ever produced was the Moun10Bike..then USA..then...until the most recent is the bottom icon.

This fits what I'm seeing... Mine goes from the standard TB, to USA Geocoins, to Yellow Jeep, then 2005 Jeep. Were the jeeps that early in the game that they beat out a lot of geocoins? I went to Mount10Bike's page here http://www.switchbacks.com/gc_geocoins.html and it's an interesting read.

Was USA really the 2nd icon? Where did Jeeps fit in? I wonder how many cachers have icons older than a yellow jeep... :laughing:

This fits what I'm seeing... Mine goes from the standard TB, to USA Geocoins, to Yellow Jeep, then 2005 Jeep. Were the jeeps that early in the game that they beat out a lot of geocoins? I went to Mount10Bike's page here http://www.switchbacks.com/gc_geocoins.html and it's an interesting read.

Was USA really the 2nd icon? Where did Jeeps fit in? I wonder how many cachers have icons older than a yellow jeep... :laughing:

If you go to the profile of icon sp My Webpage it has the list of the older coins in particular. The profile is having a hard time keeping up with all the new coins coming out so quickly, but you can get a sense of the coins that were out pre-2006 when the "coin burst" occurred.

Edited by PSU Fan

Was USA really the 2nd icon? Where did Jeeps fit in? I wonder how many cachers have icons older than a yellow jeep... :shocked:

When I came on the scene in the final days of 2004, there were only Yellow Jeep icons, USA Geocoin icons and Moun10Bike icons besides the regular travel bug tags. It was difficult just getting a USA Geocoin icon since most of the caches in my area that showed coins in them were actually empty... (not much has changed in that regards!)

Then, I remember seeing the German Geocoin and GWIII icons out there. A few more started to trickle in...then by the end of 2005, all bets were off.

As a note on the order of the icons...I believe it relates to when the coin designs were approved, and tracking numbers issued by HQ. Some coins that take a long time to mint, and then aren't released right away show up on the list earlier than coins that have been out for a while. (This is speculation on my part...I don't know this for sure.)

Thought of this a bit ago as well, just never persued it...Great idea Id say. One of the reasons I dont discover coins and bugs regularly is because I like to see what I have moved.

Maybe with enough support they can change things a bit for us...But seeing that they dont allow name changes due to software problems, I would hope the same would not be for a discovered section in our profiles...We'll see!

Maybe if you were to present this in the GC.com website forums, now that there is a bit of attention on the matter, just might be able to get somethin done...Never hurts to ask, and maybe someone will know the correct route to take to find out how????