Cemetary Caches

While I am in the pro-cemetery camp I am also reserved against where they are placed, so I treat it like any other cache anywhere else, if it's located poorly I go through channels to challenge it.

The thing I've never seen is where it's blatently illegal in any state. I hear this mentioned often yet have never had anyone be able to prove it. I'd be curious to read actual state code that prohibits this across all cemeteries.

A very prolific cacher in my area owns a geocache in a cemetery. It is a puzzle cache in honor of his child that died of SIDS. It is a simple way for him to bring awareness to SIDS and to share with others his loss and to honor a memory. I have no problem with a cemetery cache done in taste.

Could you link this cache please. My husband and I have been debating the merits of placing a similar cache in honor of our Daughter whom we lost to prematurity, and I would like to see how a similar cache has been done. Fitting day for me to read this thread, it's her birthday as well as the anniversary of her death.

Scrubs

My husband and I have been debating the merits of placing a similar cache in honor of our Daughter whom we lost to prematurity, and I would like to see how a similar cache has been done. Fitting day for me to read this thread, it's her birthday as well as the anniversary of her death.

Scrubs

Sorry about your loss...it's good to hear you're looking at doing something like that. Personally, I have a hard time with the memorial concept, but I really like the types of memorials that have more than just a marker-like purpose and I think that's a great tribute.

I did my first cemetary cache last weekend. Happened to be in Aurora, once a mining town of 20,000. Most of the markers are from the mid- to late 1800's and it was really interesting and a great way to learn the history.

I've lived here for 15 years and have never made it up the mountain - so, thanks to the cache we saw some beautiful country, learned some history and visited the grave of my retired nurses parents (the cemertary is still used by some local old-timers).

I think that as long as the placer is respectful, I see nothing wrong with cemetary caches.

Just as beauty is in eye of the beholder, so is "respect". I am always respectful in a cemetery, whether there for a geocache or any other reason, including walking my dog. When I am gone, I would be happy to know others are enjoying my "space" in the world.

For a good reason to bring cachers to a cemetery, check out the location of one of my favorites, the Kuehnle Cemetary cache. I'm thrilled to see a space like this preserved, even in the midst of the inevitable development.

A very prolific cacher in my area owns a geocache in a cemetery. It is a puzzle cache in honor of his child that died of SIDS. It is a simple way for him to bring awareness to SIDS and to share with others his loss and to honor a memory. I have no problem with a cemetery cache done in taste.

Could you link this cache please. My husband and I have been debating the merits of placing a similar cache in honor of our Daughter whom we lost to prematurity, and I would like to see how a similar cache has been done. Fitting day for me to read this thread, it's her birthday as well as the anniversary of her death.

Scrubs

Sorry for your loss.

GCPQ2H