Cemetary Caches

I said this in a previous thread about cemetery caches, but it sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well so I'll say it again... :ph34r:

I haven't done any cemetery caches, but I have visited many cemeteries. I've walked among the resting places of those who reside there. I've looked on with a little sadness and also a little wonder at how often husbands and wives die within weeks or months of each other. It makes me think about my own mortality and my love for my wife and children. I've mourned the loss of total strangers who died so young they never got a chance to live. I've marveled at people who lived over a hundred years during the 19th and early twentieth centuries. How strong they must have been to live to such a ripe old age in a world that had, at best, only rudimentary medical care.

Visitng a cemetary isn't disrespectful, it's actually a way to get in touch with our past, our history, our own soul.

You can respectfully visit a cemetery without caching and I don't see a big difference between visiting while caching. Many of the caches are placed specifically because the owner of that cache wants you to visit. They want you to find the cache of course, but they may also want you to reflect on all of the things I mentioned and more. They may want you to pay your respects to the soldier who gave his life defending our country or mourn the teen who was killed by a drunk driver.

Those who find cemetery caches distasteful should certainly avoid them, but they shouldn't presume to know why people cache in cemeteries or how they conduct themselves while they are there.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Suppose, just suppose that the cemetery owners and the families of those interred feel that the activity of geocaching, in their cemetery, is in and of itself, disrespectful? Suppose that they feel the same way wrt joggers, bicyclers, picnickers and the like.

Unfortunately geocachers, joggers and picnickers have yet to be designated the deciders of all that is respectful and good in such locations.

Now in my particular case, I am a member of a select group of individuals, approximately 3,000 strong, who ARE the deciders on one cemetery. I can assure you that the instant that geocachers, joggers, bicyclers, picnickers and the like become an issue there...........it will stop.

And yes, I have found caches in cemeteries and will continue to do so. Get use to it.

And no, I can't define every instance of what disrespect encompasses. And no, I will not try.

One things for certain, I'll know it when I see it and that will be sufficient.

Ok now i got the person.I thought you were against cemetery caches.

That's ok, everone makes mistakes. :(:o:ph34r:

I said this in a previous thread about cemetery caches, but it sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well so I'll say it again... :(

I haven't done any cemetery caches, but I have visited many cemeteries. I've walked among the resting places of those who reside there. I've looked on with a little sadness and also a little wonder at how often husbands and wives die within weeks or months of each other. It makes me think about my own mortality and my love for my wife and children. I've mourned the loss of total strangers who died so young they never got a chance to live. I've marveled at people who lived over a hundred years during the 19th and early twentieth centuries. How strong they must have been to live to such a ripe old age in a world that had, at best, only rudimentary medical care.

Visitng a cemetary isn't disrespectful, it's actually a way to get in touch with our past, our history, our own soul.

You can respectfully visit a cemetery without caching and I don't see a big difference between visiting while caching. Many of the caches are placed specifically because the owner of that cache wants you to visit. They want you to find the cache of course, but they may also want you to reflect on all of the things I mentioned and more. They may want you to pay your respects to the soldier who gave his life defending our country or mourn the teen who was killed by a drunk driver.

Those who find cemetery caches distasteful should certainly avoid them, but they shouldn't presume to know why people cache in cemeteries or how they conduct themselves while they are there.

I might have missed a post or three. Did someone say that 'visiting' cemeteries was somehow disrespectful? :ph34r:

I said this in a previous thread about cemetery caches, but it sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well so I'll say it again... :(

I might have missed a post or three. Did someone say that 'visiting' cemeteries was somehow disrespectful? :ph34r:

Maybe you just missed my point. Then again, maybe you wanted to. All of the activities you have railed against share one thing. The joggers, cachers, picnickers, etc... are visitors. Presuming that they don't belong there because you don't approve of their activities while they ARE visiting is just wrong, IMHO.

Maybe you just missed my point. Then again, maybe you wanted to. All of the activities you have railed against share one thing. The joggers, cachers, picnickers, etc... are visitors. Presuming that they don't belong there because you don't approve of their activities while they ARE visiting is just wrong, IMHO.

And you most certainly have missed mine.

A cemetery or any other location where I and my peers have a vested interest, we will assert our right to approve or disaprove of any activity as we see fit. We will only seek approval from the owner/manager...period.

Since we are his primary vested interest and reason for existing, we'll most likely prevail. I could be wrong on this point but I think that that is highly unlikely.

IMHO

Edited by Team Cotati

Last week I was in Paris, France and as I was hunting for caches in the city, it happened that one was in a cemetery.Initially I did not know that, I just followed the directions to the next cache.

As soon as I understood that it would be a cemetery cache, I got nervous and in a little panic.This was my first time to do such a cache.But on the other hand, I thought that none lives forever on this world...

Especially at this cemetery, many famous people from France were resting.For example I met the resting place of Jean-Paul Sartre...this place is like a museum...

Anyway, I found this cache and then I kept on hunting next caches...

So, after a small shock, I kept on hunting the cache.

YanniG

I have a cache series which vists the remains of a WW2 defensive line, built across Scotland in 1941 to hold back a German invasion. While researching I came across references to a "fortified cemetery". It took a while to find it but it was still there. The boundary wall overlooking a valley and a major road has gun ports cut through it and concrete anti tank obsticles hidden in the woods at the entrance gates. An ideal cahe site, but the cemetery is still in use so I decided to make it a multi. It's of historical interest and respecful visitors are welcome but there are some places where a cache should not be hidden.

JCURTIS has uploaded some very interesting before and after pics taken at the Prebster Cemetery Restoration CITO event. You can look at them here:

click here!

:laughing:

If for some very strange and wondrous reason that link does not work out, the cache is GC15H67

Hey Lead Dog! You forgot about my photos from day 2 of the Prebster Restoration

Hey, Rupert! I didn't forget your photos from the second day of the Prebster Restoration. They weren't uploaded at the time I posted...

Wow...still going? How about this: I'll own cemetery hides and DO cemetery caching as long as it's allowed! If you don't approve, don't do them and don't hide them...simple!

Telling me that you (as kin of an ancestor) can tell me to get out of a public cemetery is FUNNY! Try it! Better pack a lunch though!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I plan to visit LA in a few weeks. Of course, I can't go anywhere without geocaching so I did a search around my hotel. I was very happy to find that the cemetary where Marilyn Monroe, Walter Mathou, Jack Lemmon and others are buried has a cache. If I were just a tourist and went to see these, would that also be considered disrespectful too? Just curious...

Edited by lonesumdove
public cemetery
A lot of cemeteries are on private property, in fact, I'd say most.

There is a lot of cultural significance to cemetaries to where there is a public interest in them regardless of where they are located. Not all locations where mourning and respect is paid is even located in a cemetary. I can show you a tree in a pull out that is always decorated by those who remember the Bear Lake Massacre. Nobody but nobody is going to stop those people from accessing that tree even if that property is walled up and fenced over. Ditto if I look up my ancestors and stop to pay my respects even if it's on private property that's posted.

Anway, it's a complex issue. Caching is the least of the issues.

...A cemetery or any other location where I and my peers have a vested interest, we will assert our right to approve or disaprove of any activity as we see fit. We will only seek approval from the owner/manager...period....

In any location where me andmy peers bump into you and your peers and we both vie for our vested interests I will feel free to utterly ignor any insanity you may present as rational and do the right thing, plus challenge you on every other front that looks like a good place to challenge you. I will do this even if you are the owner/manager. Just not over a cache.

You are not allowed to interpose yourself in how I pay my respects. Those that do it anyway will certainly generate animosity.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...A cemetery or any other location where I and my peers have a vested interest, we will assert our right to approve or disaprove of any activity as we see fit. We will only seek approval from the owner/manager...period....

In any location where me andmy peers bump into you and your peers and we both vie for our vested interests I will feel free to utterly ignor any insanity you may present as rational and do the right thing, plus challenge you on every other front that looks like a good place to challenge you. I will do this even if you are the owner/manager. Just not over a cache.

You are not allowed to interpose yourself in how I pay my respects. Those that do it anyway will certainly generate animosity.

No you won't.

No you won't.

Since you don't seem to have any sway at the places that I am currently vested in. This is a non issue, but a very real point that you understand, but only from one angle. That makes you unable to do the job you claim to have. I'm sorry for those who have to trust in you by proxy.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I haven't seen a cemetery cache yet that I didn't enjoy.

I think as long as both the hider and the seeker think and act with respect there shouldn't be any problems. As others have mentioned, cache placement is a real key. So is the behavior of the seekers. I'll skip over a cemetery cache if I see mourners in the area. I don't think running to the cache is appropriate, nor is being loud.

No you won't.

I have to wonder why you are SO vested against this? I do realize that older people like yourself have strong opinions, but come on...what's so bad about it? It isn't like they are going to desecrate graves.

No you won't.

I have to wonder why you are SO vested against this? I do realize that older people like yourself have strong opinions, but come on...what's so bad about it? It isn't like they are going to desecrate graves.

You know, I'll repeat this for about the 5th. time.

It has little to do with any sort of physical 'desecration', I am quite certain that that does not happen very often.

It has to do with permission and the wishes of family members of the interred. The proposition that you, me or anyone else can presume to speak and act on behalf of these people on some universal basis for the game of geocaching, picnicking, jogging, bicycle riding or any other purpose is, on the face of it, preposterous in the extreme.

And I'm telling you that for sure certain, that the more often that these activities occur by more people at a given location, the more likely that there is going to be conflict and disagreement.

It doesn't have to be that way, I understand. That it is likely, I think, is fairly obvious. There are simply too many and too varied personalities and values being represented by the rapid growth of this activity and that is just the fact of it.

I don't necessarily like it any more than anyone. I do however acknowledge it.

No you won't.

You know, I'll repeat this for about the 5th. time.

It has little to do with any sort of physical 'desecration', I am quite certain that that does not happen very often.

It has to do with permission and the wishes of family members of the interred. The proposition that you, me or anyone else can presume to speak and act on behalf of these people on some universal basis for the game of geocaching, picnicking, jogging, bicycle riding or any other purpose is, on the face of it, preposterous in the extreme.

And I'm telling you that for sure certain, that the more often that these activities occur by more people at a given location, the more likely that there is going to be conflict and disagreement.

It doesn't have to be that way, I understand. That it is likely, I think, is fairly obvious. There are simply too many and too varied personalities and values being represented by the rapid growth of this activity and that is just the fact of it.

I don't necessarily like it any more than anyone. I do however acknowledge it.

So, you are griping about something that could easily be a non-issue? Have you ever thought that the person placing the hides MIGHT get permission? I go back to my response "when someone of authority boots me..." You, or any other visitor to the cemetery might THINK you can throw me out, but here I go to the rest of what I said..."pack a lunch"! Around here, our reviewer asks questions when they see a cache being placed in a cemetery!

No, this doesn't mean I'm going to be rude to anyone in a cemetery (or anywhere w/o reason), and I might (and have) skipped a cemetery being used...a burial, once for a parade (a parade??? How dare they be so rude) and even when mourners were too close to GZ. The parade was also a re-enactment of the war that had happened there. They had a huge picnic and even an inflatable moonwalk for the kids...the horror!

eta: I've been given praise by the owners of a few of the cemeteries I have caches in. They are actually HAPPY someone is using the cemetery which, before the caches, were in bad shape and mostly forgotten. Amazing what a bit of CITO and care can do for P.R.! Way to go Six Dog and crew...keep up the GREAT work!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I don't see anything wrong with caching in a cemetery.

It's all about behavior. As long as I am behaving respectfully and responsibly, why in the world would anyone even consider asking me to leave?

Now if I went in with a boom box blasting out on my shoulder, a frisbee in my hand, and a beach towel on the other shoulder, maybe I would be asked to leave, and rightly so.

Responsible behavior and a respectful attitude should not be any problem.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be questioning everyone in the cemetary as to why they are there, and then for them to make a judgement as to whether it is OK for me to be there IN THEIR OPINION.

As long as my behavior is repsonsible and respectful, no one else except the caretaker of the facility has a right to question my activity there.

And geocachers should exhibit responsible behavior in all areas, not just cemeteries. :laughing:

It's all about behavior. As long as I am behaving respectfully and responsibly, why in the world would anyone even consider asking me to leave?

Now if I went in with a boom box blasting out on my shoulder, a frisbee in my hand, and a beach towel on the other shoulder, maybe I would be asked to leave, and rightly so.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be questioning everyone in the cemetary as to why they are there, and then for them to make a judgement as to whether it is OK for me to be there IN THEIR OPINION.

As long as my behavior is repsonsible and respectful, no one else except the caretaker of the facility has a right to question my activity there.

And geocachers should exhibit responsible behavior in all areas, not just cemeteries. :laughing:

Well let's just put it this way:

If the cemetery owners along with their individual plot owners determine that they do not think that it is appropriate for "strangers" to be placing various types of containers in their cemetery so that these containers can be searched for by others, then when and if that activity comes to their attention, it will stop.

I understand that some might think that this irrational, but in the end, that really doesn't matter.

If the cemetery owners along with their individual plot owners determine that they do not think that it is appropriate for "strangers" to be placing various types of containers in their cemetery so that these containers can be searched for by others, then when and if that activity comes to their attention, it will stop.

I understand that some might think that this irrational, but in the end, that really doesn't matter.

The only part of it that seems irrational to me is the part where you believe that the plot owners have any control over anything that is not their plot.

That's like saying that the managers of every store in a mall should be able to control caching in the parking lot.

Edited by sbell111

And geocachers should exhibit responsible behavior in all areas, not just cemeteries. :yikes:

The only part of it that seems irrational to me is the part where you believe that the plot owners have any control over anything that is not their plot.

That's like saying that the managers of every store in a mall should be able to control caching in the parking lot.

I'm sorry. If I inadvertantly implied that I thought that one single plot owner would or ought to have such authority, then I made a serious mistake for which I appologize. I think that I did use the plural and certainly in my previous posts on this topic I think that I have made it abundantly clear that I think that it would require a number of those individuals of sufficient count to impress the owner/manager to act in their favor.

You know, like if a shopping mall has 83 stores, I'd wager that if 20 or so of them went to mall management with a complaint about ANY activity with which they disagreed, that they would get action that was more or less in line with their request. Further if it were the RIGHT store(s) (I think that they are called anchors), it might take even less than that. Malls and cemeteries, though they might reside in the good ole U S of A, by no means are required to operate as a democracy. Kinda like the place where most of us work. I can't recall the last time that my company put to a vote of the employees, a policy change. :yikes::laughing::anicute:

I mean, they might let the employees choose a new paint color for the cafeteria or they might not. But then that isn't a policy now is it?

And tell me, what is it that is going to prevent someone from "questioning" your activity? "no one else except the caretaker of the facility has a right to question my activity there."

I mean it's not like they are going to confront you directly. Why should they? This stuff isn't about you.

Edited by Team Cotati

A few weeks or so back, we set up a booth at a festival and did a geocaching 101 type deal. I probably talked to a few hundred people personally (there was an estimated 1500 peoplein attendance), most were more than happy to go on a short hike and find some temp caches. On the hike, I explained the usual locations a cache would be hidden (cemetery, park etc)...I don't recall a single one of these non-caching people say they thought it a bad place (cemeteries that is)...in fact, several even said that's where the BIKE!! No moral outrage, no one seemed upset.

I think any cemetery with any size at all would have a VERY hard time getting a group of complainers togethre to even start the process you speak of TC. I think you might overestimate the amount of "complainers" on this one!

A few weeks or so back, we set up a booth at a festival and did a geocaching 101 type deal. I probably talked to a few hundred people personally (there was an estimated 1500 peoplein attendance), most were more than happy to go on a short hike and find some temp caches. On the hike, I explained the usual locations a cache would be hidden (cemetery, park etc)...I don't recall a single one of these non-caching people say they thought it a bad place (cemeteries that is)...in fact, several even said that's where the BIKE!! No moral outrage, no one seemed upset.

I think any cemetery with any size at all would have a VERY hard time getting a group of complainers togethre to even start the process you speak of TC. I think you might overestimate the amount of "complainers" on this one!

Really? And how many of their family were buried there? And in any event, as I have tried to say about 57 times, if no one complains, of course there is no problem. Criminnie. Each group of cemetery plot owners will have to judge for themselves. But trust me, it will be them who establish what will be allowed and no one else. :laughing::yikes::yikes:

You know, just like Sears and J.C. Penney and Old Navy and Macys and Foot Locker and

on and on and on. Them and no one else.

I have overestimated nothing.

Oh, I see....you're just arguing to argue!!

gotcha!

I guess I'll start worrying about this silly problem if one of those cemetery owners calls me (yeah, I give them my phone number). I'd guess they'd be more apt to kick the parade organizers out long before us since the parade attendees leave a mess everytime...we cachers clean that mess up! Yep, this really worries me!

Oh, I see....you're just arguing to argue!!

gotcha!

I guess I'll start worrying about this silly problem if one of those cemetery owners calls me (yeah, I give them my phone number). I'd guess they'd be more apt to kick the parade organizers out long before us since the parade attendees leave a mess everytime...we cachers clean that mess up! Yep, this really worries me!

I think that that is a really wonderful plan. Good luck. :sad::grin::sad:

I 2nd Stargazer22's post from 10/4 - it was well put!

My family team enjoys these sorts of caches - they often are historical and take you to places and down roads that you would otherwise never go to or travel.

One of our favorite caches was a cemetary cache - and one of our most unique experiences while geocaching occured on our way to a cemetary cache. Bottom line is - we never see people in these areas anyway - so who is going to care or complain?! No one.

How about ethnic considerations. There are cultures, some with dead buried in ethnically mixed cemeteries, who believe in sharing meals with their dearly departed, others who prefer to disinter and party with them prodigiously. I think that some of the posters here exhibit a very narrow, personal and ethnocentric opinion of how one should conduct oneself in a cemetery.

How about ethnic considerations. There are cultures, some with dead buried in ethnically mixed cemeteries, who believe in sharing meals with their dearly departed, others who prefer to disinter and party with them prodigiously. I think that some of the posters here exhibit a very narrow, personal and ethnocentric opinion of how one should conduct oneself in a cemetery.

If it's ok to have an ethnic background, it's ok to hold an ethnic point of view.

If it's ok to have an ethnic background, it's ok to hold an ethnic point of view.

Thank you, that's my point exactly and since that persons point of view is entirely personal how can anyone else purport to tell you how you should respond to other entirely personal poits of view such as greiving, or joy, or celebration?

public cemetery
A lot of cemeteries are on private property, in fact, I'd say most.

I think that the amount of private vs. public is a bit regional.

Something that I have always wanted to know: How much is a "bit"? :)

12.5 cents.

Right. 1/8 of a 'pieces of 8'. 2 bits (as in shave and a haircut) is... 2/8 or 1/4 of the gold coin. 1/4, aka 'a quarter'.

We love them. Everywhere we travel we stroll through them and look for the oldest person buried there and always try to read about the neat history of the place. Now that we cache we like the cemetery caches. We are always respectful and often talk to the departed. We might be the only people that have in a long time. :)