New Geocoin in the Series 'Geocaching around the Planet'

Ellandel

This is the fifth coin in the series 'Geocaching around the Planet'. It is part of my crazy plan to find a geocache in each of the 192 countries of the planet. I'm well on my way since I have found a geocache in 26 countries already...still quite a few to go, but I'll get there !

And for each country where I find a cache, I produce a geocoin which illustrates a symbol or a story about that country.

This fifth coin celebrates Singapore and its Merlion, and you can buy the coin on my webshop HERE!.

If you want more details about my project and the previous coins issued (there are still a few left), it's all on my website : www.ellandel.com.

Singapore%203.gif

So, what is a Merlion ? Well, it's an imaginary animal with the body of a fish and the head of a lion, that has become the symbol of Singapore. There are actually 5 statues representing it in Singapore, the most famous one located at the mouth of the Singapore river. The name - as you probably guessed - is a contraction of the two words MERmaid and LION, hence Merlion.

According to some popular stories from the 11th century, Sang Nila Utama, a Malay prince, spotted a lion on an island while he was sailing to Melakka. That island became Singapore, which means 'Lion City' in Sanskrit.

You can find the full story on Wikipedia on this link, and the story of the Merlion by clicking here!.

In reality, the Merlion was designed in 1964 for the Singapore Tourism Board and was used as its symbol until 1997. So whether the legends are true or not, it does not really matter. It is a nice example of how successfully the city-state marketed itself... !

There are still a few Limited Edition coins in Gold and Gun for sale, so hurry !

Best regards

Ellandel

This is the fifth coin in the series 'Geocaching around the Planet'. It is part of my crazy plan to find a geocache in each of the 192 countries of the planet. I'm well on my way since I have found a geocache in 26 countries already...still quite a few to go, but I'll get there !

When you produced the first coin I had not realized this was your goal. I must have read through too quick to realize the intent of the coins. Congrats on 26 countries. That is very impressive. Nice coins too. :D

Cache on! :)