A proposal for an official S.O.A.G. Day?

Nochipra

I don't know if there is already a day like this or not among geocoin collectors but I thought it would be a nice idea to have an official Send Out A Geocoin Day? This would be an official day where everyone who wanted to participate could send a geocoin to someone randomly. You could send out one coin to someone who's address you might have to brighten their day or you could send out several coins to a number of different people. I know that there are a lot of wonderful people on this forum who send out coins all the time but I just thought there could be one official day where those that want to participate would all send out a coin/coins on that particular day. Just a thought? Let me know what you think:)

I would prefer a secret mission as I am sure that I will get something, too. If you send out just randomly, you might get nothing, or you might get a lot of coins from several people. I might be a little bit egoistic here :o

I have send out coins to someone, too, and I might do that again if I have a good reason to do that, and in that case I don't expect to get anything back for it (maybe a "thank you"). But if there is something "official"... I guess I would be very sad if nobody sends me a coin :oB)

Well the intention I had for a day like this is to send out a coin or coins and not really expect anything in return? A kind of "do something nice day"?

Sort of a tsunriseday type activity? :o

So are you saying the list of givers would be mutually exclusive from the list of receivers? Nothing wrong with that at all, but it would probably be a lot easier to anonymously get a list of addresses for folks who trade/purchase coins a lot, not sure how you'd track down non-collectors easily.

Edited by dflye

That's a pretty cool idea but how would one go about getting someone else's address without them knowing? Only person that has my address is the Bug that likes to bite...

Well I can tell you that if I have traded with someone then I still have there address. I am pretty sure that most collectors in these forums can say the same thing. And believe me I have done many trades!!!!

I don't know if there is already a day like this or not among geocoin collectors but I thought it would be a nice idea to have an official Send Out A Geocoin Day? This would be an official day where everyone who wanted to participate could send a geocoin to someone randomly. You could send out one coin to someone who's address you might have to brighten their day or you could send out several coins to a number of different people. I know that there are a lot of wonderful people on this forum who send out coins all the time but I just thought there could be one official day where those that want to participate would all send out a coin/coins on that particular day. Just a thought? Let me know what you think:)

Don't forget to take a look at the Geocoin Giveway Group if you plan on sending out coins :o .

Well, I am new to geocoin collecting but what I have started to do is get the addresses of people I have started to trade with or the addresses of generous people who have been generous enough to just send me a coin for the"heck" of it or asking for the address of everyone that is on my friend list. I just ask them if I may have their address in case something geocoin related in the future may come up. I just like to look at some of the names of people who post a lot on here and send a friend request and a request for their address and if they respond then I put their address on a list I keep and when I have extra coins in the future I plan to make them happy? When sending the coins you can do it anonymously or put your return address on the package and maybe that person will send you something in the future? I don't really like the idea of keeping a list of names and addresses that everyone would have like a secret santa kinda thing, I'd like to just keep it random and if you send a coin and don't receive one back then you've done a good deed anyway and it may come back to you at a later date? I would suggest start collecting addresses of people you would like to send coins to in the future and buying extra coins every so often and once a date has been set for this, then you are ready.

Well, I am new to geocoin collecting but what I have started to do is get the addresses of people I have started to trade with or the addresses of generous people who have been generous enough to just send me a coin for the"heck" of it or asking for the address of everyone that is on my friend list. I just ask them if I may have their address in case something geocoin related in the future may come up. I just like to look at some of the names of people who post a lot on here and send a friend request and a request for their address and if they respond then I put their address on a list I keep and when I have extra coins in the future I plan to make them happy? When sending the coins you can do it anonymously or put your return address on the package and maybe that person will send you something in the future? I don't really like the idea of keeping a list of names and addresses that everyone would have like a secret santa kinda thing, I'd like to just keep it random and if you send a coin and don't receive one back then you've done a good deed anyway and it may come back to you at a later date? I would suggest start collecting addresses of people you would like to send coins to in the future and buying extra coins every so often and once a date has been set for this, then you are ready.

Alright, I will bite :o !!! Email me your address and I will gladly send you a coin, no strings attached :o !!!

I think it´s a good idea but so far I haven´t made any trades through this forum and only participated in 2 missions, so I haven´t got that many addresses yet unless for a few more who advertised their addresses here in the forums ;-)

I aso like the idea of sending out travellers, but I guess they would be damaged before reaching their destination but would that matter as long as it gets there and make someone happy.

Alright, I will bite :o !!! Email me your address and I will gladly send you a coin, no strings attached :o !!!

I'll bite the biter! If you send me your address I'll send you a coin that's on your seek list (I've already taken it off my trade list, so it will be a surprise B) )

Pay it forward :P

Don't forget to take a look at the Geocoin Giveway Group if you plan on sending out coins :o .

Is it still active?

Yes it is!

Alright, I will bite :o !!! Email me your address and I will gladly send you a coin, no strings attached B) !!!

I'll bite the biter! If you send me your address I'll send you a coin that's on your seek list (I've already taken it off my trade list, so it will be a surprise :P )

Pay it forward B)

B) WOW, thank you!!! That was not my intent!!! Email sent.

Is it still active?

Yes it is!

Alright, I will bite B) !!! Email me your address and I will gladly send you a coin, no strings attached :P !!!

I'll bite the biter! If you send me your address I'll send you a coin that's on your seek list (I've already taken it off my trade list, so it will be a surprise B) )

Pay it forward :o

B) WOW, thank you!!! That was not my intent!!! Email sent.

That was not my intent either. I just like the idea of having a day of doing something nice. I like the idea of Oct. 6 too. That would make a nice day but the Geocoinfests are going on that day I'm not sure if people would get mail out that day or not if they are planning to attend one?

Edited by Nochipra

I'd like to just keep it random and if you send a coin and don't receive one back then you've done a good deed anyway and it may come back to you at a later date?

I like the random thing... If I am feeling I would like to give away a coin to someone, I will do so. And in that case I don't expect anything back.

But that's just me. I am not lucky with contests of any thing, and maybe because of that I feel that I will get nothing on such a day because I never got anything in the past. (Do you know these situations when you are downtown and there is a person who gives away roses to all women who pass by as some kind of advertisement? I don't get one, I never got one...) And I know that I am wrong, because all is different here. I already have gotten something here from strangers, so I shouldn't think that way! So forgive me for still thinking that way... :)

name='dflye'

Sort of a tsunriseday type activity? :D

Hahahaha dflye, too funny.

Nochipra,

While a neat idea on one hand, I think there are already alot of people practicing this on their own without a prescribed date. I like the element of surprise :) If you need an address for a cacher that you would like to send a geocoin to, I'm sure there are a number of us who would be willing to help you/others out if we have the addy. Either way, have fun!

~tsun :)