Road Trip coin contest

PennyPacker

Shamrock, TX right off I-40 with Rte. 66 running right through it.

I remember driving this area years ago. Save for one town there was nothing going on there. Let us know how much it has developed over the years. :D:D

Have you seen the 2007 edition of the State Farm Rand McNally Maps? They have a great history through out the map of Rte 66. It was great to read all about the historic highway as we traversed that area in June.

Hope Ms. PennyPacker is feeling better!!!

Safe travels. :)

We did get a find in Shamrock, seemed like a nice place. The entire day was through an area totally unfamiliar to us being from SoCal. Miles of nothing, then a small town. Ms PP is hanging in there (thanks for asking), she probably shouldn't have come, but she loves the places that caching takes her to. We saw things today that we NEVER would have seen if it wasn't for caching. I'll have to check out the Rand McNally Maps... thanks.

You doing mostly reststop caches, and easy exits?

:)

Not many rest stop caches... I think there were 3 today, one of them in Texas being the most impressive rest stop I've ever seen. Easy exits? We're looking for any cache within one mile of the interstate. Most of the route 66 caches were close to that limit.

This is a fun thread to watch. Kinda makes me feel like I'm doing the route with you. I have streets and maps and I can watch the towns you stop in. Wish I could or at least afford to do my own route post and contest. Are you taking pictures along the way to post later? When does your route stop?

Edited by Nochipra

This is a fun thread to watch. Kinda makes me feel like I'm doing the route with you. I have streets and maps and I can watch the towns you stop in. Wish I could or at least afford to do my own route post and contest. Are you taking pictures along the way to post later? When does your route stop?

We are taking lots of pictures. Here's one that made us laugh:

atv.jpg

Huh?

The entire trip will be logged through one of glennk721's Compass Rose coins, that I've been carrying for awhile, after we get back. You can browse through that coins logs now and see where it's already been. Didn't have much luck caching today, most finds were micros or too small to drop off any of the coins I had planned. Hard to believe all the open space we drove through and so many micros. Contest info to follow.

I've got 3 Road Trip coins to give to the first 3 people that can answer this question: Our trip initially took us as far east as Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa. We're gonna take a little side-trip the next couple of days to 4 other states. Name 3 of those states to win. Contest is over when we get to the room tonight.

I've got 3 Road Trip coins to give to the first 3 people that can answer this question: Our trip initially took us as far east as Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa. We're gonna take a little side-trip the next couple of days to 4 other states. Name 3 of those states to win. Contest is over when we get to the room tonight.

Illinois

Kentucky

Mississippi

Alabama

Illinois

Kentucky

Mississippi

Alabama

You got 3 of them! Please PM me your mailing address.

Glad you have checked in. I feel like I am on the trip with you. I'm road weary waiting for the latest news - lol.

Congrats to the winners! Always fun to play guessing games. :o

I would have edited my post when I thought about it & realized you were probably not as far along as you had anticipated by Tuesday. But I was being good and sticking to the one post-no edits rule. :D:shocked:

Everything alright out there PP?

Everything is great! I'm impressed that so many people actually guessed the correct states. When we got to the room in Fayetteville, Arkansas, we realized that the caching was overtaking the road-tripping. The trip down the mud road with hundreds of 1 foot deep puddles through brush so thick the Xterra barely fit, on the way to a cemetery, being followed by a car that came out of nowhere, arriving at what looked like the wooded area in Deliverance where Ned was told to squeal, well, we decided we needed a break and changed course to go to states we hadn't planned going to and sight-see. Took off across Arkansas into Tennessee, and into Memphis. Thought I'd treat Ms. PP to a drive past Graceland. She decided a drive-by wasn't good enough... we took the tour. Left there and buzzed down to Mississippi to grab a cache. Realizing we were close to a Hard Rock Cafe (another fetish of ours), we found one on Beale Street in Memphis. Anybody that's been to Beale Street can guess what happened next. Leaving there at almost midnight really messed up the new plan, so we spent most of today trying to catch up, going through Kentucky and then Illinois and then had dinner at the St. Louis Hard Rock, another unplanned stop.

We did finally get to drop off more coins. Probably 6 or 8 of them the last two days. 6 or 8 more tomorrow.

Everything alright out there PP?

I'm guessing their side trip is taking them to places with no internet access. Can ya believe there are still places like that? :shocked: That or they are caching demons not stopping to rest! :o

Serious - hope all is ok!

I don't even know if the place we stayed last night had internet access. It's probably a good thing, anything I would have posted no doubt would have been incomprehensible. :D

illinois indiana kentucky tennessee

You got 3 of them too! Please PM me your mailing address.

Hmmm I thought you weren't allowed to edit posts for your contests

My bad for not catching that. I've got so much catching up to do here I wasn't paying attention.

You were the next person with the correct answers (all of them too) so PM me your address and I'll send you a coin too.

Denver, CO

Let's see... that took 5 minutes. PM me your address and I'll send the coin out when I get home.

Thanks! They are great looking coins. :o

That Hard Rock Cafe has a real nice interactive map. :shocked: We just cached in CO last month, though mostly in Boulder and points south of Denver.

The "&" in our name deprives us of the ability to send or receive PMs, sad but true. Anyway I am e-mailing you my address. Mahalo for the coin and enjoy the rest of your trip.

jrr

Illinois

Kentucky

Mississippi

Alabama

You got 3 of them! Please PM me your mailing address.

Awesome....thanks!!!!

I have sent you my information. Thanks for the cointest and thank you for coming out with such a great coin. I cannot wait to see this one in person. :laughing:

Kind regards,

PSU Fan

illinois indiana kentucky tennessee

You got 3 of them too! Please PM me your mailing address.

Hmmm I thought you weren't allowed to edit posts for your contests

My bad for not catching that. I've got so much catching up to do here I wasn't paying attention.

You were the next person with the correct answers (all of them too) so PM me your address and I'll send you a coin too.

Hey Many Thanks!!!!

I am having a lot of fun "watching" your travels, "seeing" the sites and caches you are finding. I have a map next to the computer and am following your route. I would be doing that even if you weren't having cointests! (Hey maybe I shouldn't have said that you are being watched :laughing: ) I must admit though to being a tad bit jealous. I would LOVE to be doing what you two are doing. I agree with Mrs P that you can't just drive by Graceland--you must go in and take the tour.....

I hope that Mrs P continues to feel well enough to continue and that the rest of your adventure is safe and FUN!

This would be day 6. We're in Nebraska. Visited four states and dropped off a handful of coins. Tonights contest will have fewer rules, you can make as many guesses as you want, edit your answers, I don't care, but if you're a forum post hog, you'll get disqualified at my discretion. I'll be paying attention this time. Hopefully this question will be a little more difficult than the previous ones. There is a chain restaurant here in York that is a favorite of Ms. PP's and I. We had dinner there tonight, then spent some time in the bar there. We frequently go the same restaurant in SoCal. There is one located in Ontario, Ca and one in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I actually met Tony Stewart in the Ontario restaurant - for you NASCAR fans. There is also one in San Dimas, CA and another one in Cedar City, Utah, which we will be in Saturday night. To get yourself a coin, tell me the name of that restaurant.

If this question gets answered within 5 minutes I will just make something up the next time. :sad: