Garmin GPSMap60 csx map details

THE_Chris

Bought a Garmin GPS 60 about a month ago to start me on the wonders of Geocaching. I love the thing, but its too basic. Its just a waypoint tool and doesnt really help with navigating. I knew this when I bought it and am now regretting it a bit.

So I'm looking at the GPSMap60 csx now. Looks like a better version of the GPS 60 with full mapping and routing thrown in. I definatly want this, as I'm now a big fan of the Garmin systems, especially with their geocaching mode.

Living in Ireland, I'm very restricted as to where I can buy it, but I've found a place that will get it to me for €300 shipped.

Its the details on the added maps I'm wondering about. I'm not 100% sure on what this seller is offering, just wanted opinions on what ye think. Here are the quotes.

"Includes a built-in Americas autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways, exits, and tide data (USA only)"

"Unit comes with the full detailed Europe and UK maps, so you will be able to see full detailed maps of your region, and your city."

Any ideas whats going on here? Waiting for a reply from the seller, maybe people on here know better though :huh:

Also, do you think its a good idea or an utter waste of money to buy this new GPS after having the GPS60 for only a month?? Gonna try and pawn the old unit on ebay, its more or less new.

Bought a Garmin GPS 60 about a month ago to start me on the wonders of Geocaching. I love the thing, but its too basic. Its just a waypoint tool and doesnt really help with navigating. I knew this when I bought it and am now regretting it a bit.

So I'm looking at the GPSMap60 csx now. Looks like a better version of the GPS 60 with full mapping and routing thrown in. I definatly want this, as I'm now a big fan of the Garmin systems, especially with their geocaching mode.

Living in Ireland, I'm very restricted as to where I can buy it, but I've found a place that will get it to me for €300 shipped.

Its the details on the added maps I'm wondering about. I'm not 100% sure on what this seller is offering, just wanted opinions on what ye think. Here are the quotes.

"Includes a built-in Americas autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways, exits, and tide data (USA only)"

"Unit comes with the full detailed Europe and UK maps, so you will be able to see full detailed maps of your region, and your city."

Any ideas whats going on here? Waiting for a reply from the seller, maybe people on here know better though :huh:

Also, do you think its a good idea or an utter waste of money to buy this new GPS after having the GPS60 for only a month?? Gonna try and pawn the old unit on ebay, its more or less new.

Can you provide a link to the offer?

I bought a 60CSX from the US at 60% of UK prices off eBay.

There are different versions of the unit [different basemaps US, UK etc]

Mine has the US basemap but has not bothered me bit!

I have toured Europe and your Country [ireland] with it, over 2 years and 10,000 miles.

You can add the European Basemap to the SD card if you so wish.

What you will be getting with it, will be a copy of MetroGuide Europe v7, I think.

This will [v7] give you full European mapping but out of date maps, and useless maps for Ireland.

Ireland is only fully covered in v9!!

MetroGuide does not autoroute without 'manipulation'!

If you buy the unit you can also buy CityNavigator v9 for the whole of Europe for a reasonable £50 to £70 on a SD card. You will have Metroguide for the PC.

Having travelled through your area 2 years ago with the 60CSX I was lost on the new roadworks south of Cork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very confusing area at the time.

To sum up, no problem with the basemap but buy the CityNavigator v9 maps.

Edited by strumble

Thanks for that :o Was wondering especially about Irelands coverage, its gash usually on everything. Its all thanks to the OS map people charging for access to their data. I've heard others saying that GPS manufacturers go so far as to drive around Ireland to get their data.

I'll give ye a link after I've bought the unit. Otherwise ye'll snap up all the good deals!!!!

Ok this was his response -

Yes this has US basemaps which you probably realize basemaps N.America, Europe/UK are basically pointless. This item comes with a copy of the Europe Metroguide V8 mapsource DVD which you can load to your sd card.

Metroguide v8 any good and what does it cover? I'm a bit confused because isnt there some naming problems between v8, v9 and v2008???

Which version is this :D Thanks :D

Also I presume I can upload those maps to the GPSMAP 60csx???? Is this true? I just want to be sure :)

Edited by THE_Chris

Yes this has US basemaps which you probably realize basemaps N.America, Europe/UK are basically pointless. This item comes with a copy of the Europe Metroguide V8 mapsource DVD which you can load to your sd card.

Metroguide v8 any good and what does it cover? I'm a bit confused because isnt there some naming problems between v8, v9 and v2008???

Which version is this :o Thanks :ph34r:

Also I presume I can upload those maps to the GPSMAP 60csx???? Is this true? I just want to be sure :(

You are getting me a little confused now LOL ! As far as I understand it, the base maps on the Garmin 60 csx are quite basic and not really a lot of use, especially for us in Ireland where it will basically be the main roads only. So you need to have a more detailed map(s) on a micro sd card (Metroguide Europe v8 or newer v9), unofficially some maps can be made to autoroute like the larger Garmins do, though they will not give voice directions.

I'm no expert, I don't have a GPS yet! but the technology is getting to a point were its worth having! I've found the 60csx for 290 US and if I had a friend in the USA I'd probably buy it now, and get my friend to ship it as a gift.

Cheers

:(

Which version is this :( Thanks :o

Also I presume I can upload those maps to the GPSMAP 60csx???? Is this true? I just want to be sure :ph34r:

You are getting me a little confused now LOL ! As far as I understand it, the base maps on the Garmin 60 csx are quite basic and not really a lot of use, especially for us in Ireland where it will basically be the main roads only. So you need to have a more detailed map(s) on a micro sd card (Metroguide Europe v8 or newer v9), unofficially some maps can be made to autoroute like the larger Garmins do, though they will not give voice directions.

I'm no expert, I don't have a GPS yet! but the technology is getting to a point were its worth having! I've found the 60csx for 290 US and if I had a friend in the USA I'd probably buy it now, and get my friend to ship it as a gift.

Cheers

:(

I'm sure that someone in the U.S. could buy the GPS for you and send it as a gift. I would do it, but I live in Canada and I'm not sure if I can save you any money.

I cracked the code in a gps military unit used in Afganistan. I then cracked Garmin's code and uploaded it to my unit. I now get accuracy to 3/8 ". I cannot offer this to anyone because it is a violation of National Security.

I guess you are in violation of article 123456789-bad :blink:

Edited by whitecrow