Should a pen or pencil be a mandatory

MercRocks

I have come across lot's of caches lately that the description say's "bring a writing instrument as cache is too small for one"

Of course caching without the cache sheet you find the cache and don't have a pencil or the pen won't work and you have to improvise to make your mark.

What peeves me though is the cache is big enough to hold a pencil. ie: 35m film container, small lock and lock etc... I have even put a pencil in a altoids tin. So I know that it can be done....

Heck you could put a piece of lead in an bison container if you had to....

Are people just too lazy to add one ? :blink: or????? :huh:

Should it be mandatory tha they are included?

I have come across lot's of caches lately that the description say's "bring a writing instrument as cache is too small for one"

Of course caching without the cache sheet you find the cache and don't have a pencil or the pen won't work and you have to improvise to make your mark.

What peeves me though is the cache is big enough to hold a pencil. ie: 35m film container, small lock and lock etc... I have even put a pencil in a altoids tin. So I know that it can be done....

It's BRINGING a pen or pencil that should be mandatory. Not all caches can accommodate a writing instrument.

I have the unfortunate habit of walking off with pencils and pens! It happens at the office, stores and caching. I try to remember to give them back but there are times where I just forget. So, the mandatory thing is a great idea until I show up at your cache! (to combat this problem, I bring my own writing instrument most times now!)

Even if it was mandatory (which it shouldn't be), it wouldn't be enforceable in any meaningful way.

Sure it would be. You would simply be allowed to log "There was no pen or pencil in the cache so I'm claiming a find". Then puritans would have to go check their cache to prove that there was in fact a pen or pencil in it before they delete your log. :blink:

Some of the cleverest caches I have found could not have held any type of writing medium. Requiring something to write with would have ruined the cache. How about taping a pencil or piece of lead to your GPSr?

It is getting cool in the mornings in my area, so my pen is starting to get sluggish. So I also carry a pencil. And my signature cache item is a pencil sharpener for those who don't carry a knife.

Halloween thought-you always have blood with you (just kidding!!).

Take care,

Outspoken1

No. You can alleviate a large part of the problem, and other problems as well, simply by reading the cache listing page. You can alleviate even more of the problem by carrying pens and pencils on your person at all times while caching. I have often found even regular-sized and large caches with pens/pencils missing, usually because a previous finder or a muggle walked off with it. I see no need for a rule requiring presence of a pen or pencil.

Usually the pens in caches are the cheap kind. Maybe that was the pen left by the hider or maybe some cacher traded their own crappy pen for the good one in the cache. :huh:

Pencils.... busted lead, cheap sharpeners (What do you do with the shavings? Put them in you pocket? In the cache? or leave them laying on the ground so other cachers can find the cache?)

Moisture quickly causes pens to become unusable and prevents pencils from writing on the wet log books.

Although I have good dexterity, writing with those teeny-tiny little pencil stubs, especially when it is cold out, can be very challenging, not to mention illegible.

Even if there is a pen or pencil in the cache, I still use my own to sign the log. ;)

The pen I use is a Pilot G-2 Mini, a smooth writing gel pen that fits easily in my pocket. It writes easily on damp logs without ripping the pages and I get to choose from some cool colors to make my logs stand out.

Rule for having pencils in caches...... NO

Rule for bringing a writing stick to a cache...... YES

Rule for reading and complying with the instructions of a cache page...... YES

I've hiked back and forth to my vehicle a number of times because I forgot a pencil. I seem to have the same problem with bringing spare batteries. :blink: My fault though, not the cache owner's.

It's BRINGING a pen or pencil that should be mandatory. Not all caches can accommodate a writing instrument.

Bingo!

Ditto! Always carry a pen/pencil and spare batteries! :blink:

Yep. Here's the deal.

If I find a cache and I don't find a writing utensil, I don't step back blame the cacher owner.

Edited by BlueDeuce

No cacher should arrive at a cache without a pen/pencil or spare batteries. Sharpie sells little sharpies which go on your keychain for a buck and any office store and even WalMart. A tiny golf pencil will fit in your pocket without adding much bulk. I carry a short pen REFILL cartridge in my wallet always as I may be somewhere and want to make a note of something or other (not just sign a cache log).

Up there in BC you would know that a pen in a cache would be frozen solid & useless four months of the year :blink:

I've seen a number of posts lately about not having a writing implement when finding a cache..... odd.

RATTLEBARS

Well put - I agree

Or are some people too lazy to CARRY one?

OH, the HUMANITY! I trudged for what seemed like MILES across this Wal-Mart parking lot, lifted this horribly heavy lamp post skirt and now there's no pencil in the hide-a-key box to sign the soppin' wet paper!

Ya know, sometimes not signing the log is not by choice. In any case though, it ain't no big deal. As Cotati said, find something more important to worry about.

I learned pretty quickly to always carry a pen or pencil when geocaching.

I've usually been a quick learner, but I'm still working on this one.

I have a piece of pencil lead under a small piece of scotch tape in the edge grove of my GPS. So if I forget a pen or pencil I still have that for a backup.

Now that's a brilliant idea!

I have the unfortunate habit of walking off with pencils and pens! It happens at the office, stores and caching. I try to remember to give them back but there are times where I just forget. So, the mandatory thing is a great idea until I show up at your cache! (to combat this problem, I bring my own writing instrument most times now!)

I on the other hand am just the opposite! I have learned to carry a large compliment of pens/pencils in my Camelbak as I have the habit of leaving all of mine behind at caches. So if not having a pen/pencil in the cache is a problem, feel free to follow behind me to the caches I just visited; I am sure there will be at least one extra there you can have or better yet trade for.

Yes, I make sure that I always have a pen with me (although it seems I leave it in the car too often). But I do agree with you that it's amazing how many people state in the cache description that the finder needs to bring their own writing instrument because there isn't enough room in the cache, and you get there and it's a lock-n-lock or something.

My regular size caches have a mechanical pencil (so there's no problems with broken lead or sharpening) and a pen.

My small caches have a small mechanical pencil, as well as small pens or small gel pens (so cool that you can find those now!).

My film canisters and most magnetic keyholders have golf pencils/half golf pencils (the lead in those don't seem to fall out/break like regular pencils).

But no matter how well a cache owner does with putting writing instruments in a cache, they can disapear or not work at any time. Always be prepared and responsible for yourself. :o:oB)

Should it be mandatory that they are included?

No, but I'm seeing more and more caches that can easily accommodate a pen or pencil (even if a shortie pen or golf pencil) but don't. To me that is total laziness on the part of the owner. I think if it CAN fit a pen or pencil, then it should. Kind of shows that you give a clam's patootie about your cache and the people who are hunting it.

No, but I'm seeing more and more caches that can easily accommodate a pen or pencil (even if a shortie pen or golf pencil) but don't. To me that is total laziness on the part of the owner. I think if it CAN fit a pen or pencil, then it should. Kind of shows that you give a clam's patootie about your cache and the people who are hunting it.

To be fair, it's not always lazy owners. Sometimes a cache starts life with a pen(s), but they are "misappropriated" at some point. I've had this happen in some of my caches. I've also been guilty of walking away from a cache and later discovering that I accidently kept the pen. :o

There are always ways to sign a log, as this log shows.

7:53 am

Well since S&N signed my name to the log, I knew I had to come back for this one myself. I lost the pen out of my shirt pocket on the climb up the hill so I used a leaf and my knife to mark the date after my handle that S&N signed.

And who is crazier, the person that hid this or the cachers that find it.

edit to add

Kind of ironic that S&N posted just above us

Edited by vagabond

I cache ultra-light and even I am never without a fine mechanical pencil, a pen, and a sharpie. That and my GPS and my notebook, and a camera is ALL I ever bring, but I'm never without a writing implement. If I find a cache that can hold the mechanical pencil but has no writing implement in it, I'll usually leave it in there.

All of my caches that are large enough to accomodate a writing instrument are supplied with one.......once.

In my opinion, people who engage in the activity of geocaching need to be relatively self-reliant and minimally co-dependant.

You want to log physical caches..................bring your own writing instrument, period.

Or it shows that I was there before you and I picked up the pen or pencil and took it with me. I'm a notorious pen snatcher! If I realize I've done it, I'll go back to the cache and return the pen, but usually I only realize I have the strange pen when I am back home again and have no idea which cache I took it from.

I carry little 1/2 size propelling pencils.

I also got a FTF last week that the pen didn't work in. So i traded it out. Took the pen out and left my spare pencil.

The pen is here on my desk and works a treat.

depends on the weather. Cold no good for ink...

Good practise to carry spare pen or pencils as trade items.

Happy Caching

To be fair, it's not always lazy owners. Sometimes a cache starts life with a pen(s), but they are "misappropriated" at some point. I've had this happen in some of my caches. I've also been guilty of walking away from a cache and later discovering that I accidently kept the pen. :o

I'm referring to the ones that say on the page "No pen, bring your own" and you get there and it's a decon box

or small lock n lock.

It would be foolish to assume there's a writing utensil in the cache, just because the cache page doesn't instruct you to bring one. The last person to find the cache may have accidentally walked off with it.

Or perhaps the hider included one, but the FTF found the cache in a torrential downpour, dropped the pencil on the ground and watched it quickly float away right down a storm drain never to be seen again. Nah, that couldn't happen, could it? :)

It would be foolish to assume there's a writing utensil in the cache, just because the cache page doesn't instruct you to bring one. The last person to find the cache may have accidentally walked off with it.

Or perhaps the hider included one, but the FTF found the cache in a torrential downpour, dropped the pencil on the ground and watched it quickly float away right down a storm drain never to be seen again. Nah, that couldn't happen, could it? :)

:)

Take responsibility for your own actions at all times. Let go of this ridiculous sense of entitlement. This includes being prepared to sign the cache log with your own writing utensil. In fact even when there is a pen/cil in the cache I almost always use mine. I like the way they write better.

Edited by wimseyguy
I'm amazed that this is even at question! Of course not! I feel everyone should have some sort of writing implement with them - heck, you're going to carry a GPS right? Just add a lanyard and attach a pen to one end!
I agree. Is it that hard to put a pen in your pack?

Very true! How hard is it to carry a pen or pencil? In my backpack, which I wear on all cache hunting trips (except when hunting some urban micros, at which times the pen goes in my pocket), I always carry at least six pens, two pencils, and at least four black indelible markers in two tip sizes, along with some spare AA alkaline batteries and my digital camera. I believe a cache hunter should be self-reliant, and I am amazed at the sense of entitlement among those who demand that each cache sport a writing implement.

In any case, even if a cache hunter has forgotten to carry a pen and encounters a cache which is missing a writing implement, there are numerous ways available to sign the log, as follows:

• if you are in an urban area, take a moment to make a run to a nearby shop to purchase a pen or pencil and then return to the cache and sign the log.
  • use a twig and some juice or sap from a nearby leaf, plant or piece of fruit, as recounted in my earlier post in this thread.
  • use a twig, pin or the edge of a penknife blade to sign the log using a drop or two of your blood, conveniently drawn from your fingertip by poking a tiny hole in the skin with a pin or a sharp blade of a penknife or multi-tool. If you are too squeamish to draw a drop or two of your own blood, see either of the the two options below.
  • use a twig, pin or the edge of a penknife blade to sign the log using a drop or two of blood conveniently drawn from a passing muggle using a pin or a sharp blade of a penknife or multi-tool.
  • use a twig, pin or the edge of a penknife blade to sign the log using a drop or two of blood conveniently drawn from a small or large animal which you encounter in the wild, using a pin or a sharp blade of a penknife or multi-tool. If you are lucky, you may even find the already-decomposing body of a dead animal near the cache, and you may simply draw a small amount of dark fluids from the rotting carcass for use as ink.
  • use a twig, pin or edge of a penknife blade to sign the log using a bit of bodily fluids from a bug such as a beetle, moth, tarantula, spider or caterpillar.
  • use a twig to sign the log using a bit of mud from a nearby spring, creek, swamp or lake.
  • make a thick paste using a small amount of saliva and a bit of soil (aka "dirt"), and then employ that as an ink, using a twig, pin or edge of a penknife blade to sign the log.
  • if you are a smoker, take a bit of cigarette or cigar ash and make a thick paste using a small amount of saliva and a bit of ash, and then employ the ash mud as an ink, using a twig, pin or edge of a penknife blade to sign the log.

In other words, be resourceful!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team