Are you a waffler or the strong silent type?

Foinavon

When writing cache pages I do tend to waffle a bit about the area, history and stick photos on. As an example of my waffle there is my Aethelfleda

cache. Some do can waffle on even more than me. I have always had my eye on doing Auld Dunrod near my relatives in Scotland which is probably the longest cache description I have seen. Now though there seems to be a trend towards minimilsation. A rather extreme example of this is a new cache near my work where the owner has not actually written anything at all!

So what do you prefer Waffle or just straight to the point "Its here, go get it"? And for us wafflers, does anyone actually bother do read our pages?! My own view is that I don't mind sparses pages really, what can be bit annoying is on some power trails where you see the same cache page cut and pasted about 20 times!

Some do can waffle on even more than me. I have always had my eye on doing Auld Dunrod near my relatives in Scotland which is probably the longest cache description I have seen.

Quite a short description really.....

try this..... Red Mist its like War and Peace only longer... :blink:

LOL FFB beat me to it. As i read the tread i instantly thought 'what was the one at Kilicranky that Dad shouted at me for printing cos it was 5, yes 5, pages long??'

Snaik has a habit of writing books, i've only done one of his caches and it was well worth it...

LOL FFB beat me to it. As i read the tread i instantly thought 'what was the one at Kilicranky that Dad shouted at me for printing cos it was 5, yes 5, pages long??'

Snaik has a habit of writing books, i've only done one of his caches and it was well worth it...

Less writing, more copy'n'paste: http://www.electricscotland.com/history/killiecrankie.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Dundee :o:o

I like to see some history/geogrsphy or scandal.. so unless it's a boring place I would write something to whet the appetite. And if it's a boring place why set the cache - that's my twopennyworth. A minimalist description just puts me off visiting - it seems like the setter doesn't care. But I think there's room for all sorts so let 'em carry on being minimalist - it's a hobby/sport not an English test.

See soon-to-be freshly published Flying Colours of The Cruel Night which might give a FTF'er a head start.... I won't even set a drive-by if it's not worth stopping.

Writing the cache page is almost as good as being out caching. I'm with Foinavon.

Edited by Dizzley
Some do can waffle on even more than me. I have always had my eye on doing Auld Dunrod near my relatives in Scotland which is probably the longest cache description I have seen.

Quite a short description really.....

try this..... Red Mist its like War and Peace only longer... :o

Now that I like! :o What a cache page! Makes me want to rush North of the Border to find it, and leave an equaly long log!

We always make a lot of effort with our cache pages and include details of anything interesting about the location and usually some photos. We hope people do read them and it adds to their experience of the cache but if they don't we will not lose sleep over it either.

I usually tend to waffle a bit in the first draft and then refine it to the minimum I want without leaving anything I want to say out before it's published.

I'm looking at this from the other side. I've not as yet placed any caches therefore I look at this question as to what I prefer for see on a cache page.

And in true 'not causing a stink in the forums' way, i'm on the fence with it.

As someone interesting in knowing about where I am and what i'm seeing I like to have some further information on the cache and its location.

However, as a user of CacheMate on my Palm, longer cache descriptions can get truncated. Since most people put the 'waffle' first and the finish with any details on the cache it means losing the important bit if it is truncated.

Therefore, if you do fall into the 'Waffle' category, please put the cache details/info first, then follow it with the extra details. That way everyone will have the details they need and the extra should they require it.

Well yes milvus - your kind of minimalist is the good kind. :)

Why, thank you, kind Sir!

Of course I was being a little flippant - in the general case, a good interesting description adds to the whole cache experience. I could provide a link to another of my caches - but that might just be considered as overstepping the fine line of cache promotion... :)

Well yes milvus - your kind of minimalist is the good kind. :D

Why, thank you, kind Sir!

Of course I was being a little flippant - in the general case, a good interesting description adds to the whole cache experience. I could provide a link to another of my caches - but that might just be considered as overstepping the fine line of cache promotion... :D

Why I just crossed that line and stamped right on it a few times for good measure. Hehe. :):D:) I don't make a habit of it...

...for those of you who missed the plug for my cache, it is at......... :D

Edited by Dizzley