Does anyone try to use their GPSr to look like a cell phone?

GeoBeck!

There are many times I go to a spot where there are muggles all around. I use my GPSr to look like a cell phone and hold it up to my ear and start having a conversation with no one! Is there anyone else out there that tries this "coverup"? :blink:

Yes I have, also used it as a fake camera.

There are many times I go to a spot where there are muggles all around. I use my GPSr to look like a cell phone and hold it up to my ear and start having a conversation with no one! Is there anyone else out there that tries this "coverup"? :)
Luckily for me, the little man who lives inside my GPSr talks to me all the time, so I don't have to pretend to hold a conversation. His name is Henry, and he's shy, so he'll only whisper when others are around, so I have to hold him up to my ear to hear him. Sometimes he tells me where I can find the cache, but sometimes he tricks me into doing things I really shouldn't do. ;)

He told me not to tell anyone about him because nobody'd believe me and they'd make me start taking those pills again. He said he wouldn't stick around if I took the pills, and then who'd remind me where I hid the bodies? :)

:blink::huh::)

There are many times I go to a spot where there are muggles all around. I use my GPSr to look like a cell phone and hold it up to my ear and start having a conversation with no one! Is there anyone else out there that tries this "coverup"? :blink:

It is incredible how once you are talking on your cell phone everything you are doing is instantly explained in the mind of many muggles.

I have on occasion. Most of the time now I just adopt an attitude of showing/acting like I belong where I am.

The easiest way to blend in and not get noticed is to do something obvious and clear sometimes.

Think about it - how many times have you driven by somebody looking at phone boxes, electrical boxes, etc. and never given them a second look.

Now if they look suspicious, are constantly looking around ,etc. it draws more suspicion. I find that most people are so absorbed in their own little world that they pay little attention to others, even when you feel like all eyes are on you.

You don't need to do that. Using a GPS is not something that needs to be hidden from muggles.

Actively looking for a cache and searching around with your hands is something that needs to be done discreetly though.

I have done this too, usually while standing along side a road. Yesterday was really odd, I was out in the middle of nowhere and there must have been a shooting convention going on down the road due to the amount of shots I could hear and the # of rednecks drivinig by. I stopped digging in the rocks several times to pretend I was either on the phone or taknig a leak. Whatever works I guess.

I found a cache at around midnight in a park and ride lot. Before I coud put it back, a pickup pulled in the lot. I took the film can with me and rode around for about 15 minutes and came back. The pickup was still there. Since it may be spending the night there I came up with a good idea. I pretended that I was drunk and staggered behind a palm tree to relieve myself (really didn't) . As I "staggered" back to the car, I leaned on the nearby sign and put the film can back in the top of the pole it was on (about chest high).

Edited by Wacka

I found a cache at around midnight in a park and ride lot. Before I coud put it back, a pickup pulled in the lot. I took the film can with me and rode around for about 15 minutes and came back. The pickup was still there. Since it may be spending the night there I came up with a good idea. I pretended that I was drunk and staggered behind a palm tree to relieve myself (really didn't) . As I "staggered" back to the car, I leaned on the nearby sign and put the film can back in the top of the pole it was on (about chest high).

And as soon as you left the cacher in the pickup found the cache. :ph34r:

There are many times I go to a spot where there are muggles all around. I use my GPSr to look like a cell phone and hold it up to my ear and start having a conversation with no one! Is there anyone else out there that tries this "coverup"? :ph34r:

No way. How will you ever explain it to them if they notice you are "talking" on a gps? I believe in being discreet, but not deceptive, if asked what I'm doing the truth is always easier to tell.

There are many times I go to a spot where there are muggles all around. I use my GPSr to look like a cell phone and hold it up to my ear and start having a conversation with no one! Is there anyone else out there that tries this "coverup"? :ph34r:

as stated above my cell and GPSr are one in the same. and I have a blue tooth ear peice so I just start talking to my self while I hold the phone out in front of me and continue reading the navigation screen. :(