Film cannisters and magnets wanted

grapsy

Walk into a camera shop - or anywhere else that does film processing - and in your cheekiest voice, ask if they've got any film canisters they don't want. Then just hold open a carrier bag while they eagerly offload all their unwanted old canisters on you....... (works every time)

Get magnets in a craft shop or artists suppliers. They usually come in bags of 10 or so - for making fridge magnets.

Alternatively - if you want super powerful (for the size) rare earth magnets, Office World or Staples sell magnetic noticeboard pins - multicoloured plastic things with a tiny magnet in the end - that'll stick to practically everything ferrous (after you've trimmed down the handle bit and stuck it to a container)

For film canisters, go in any photo processing shop and ask, they will usually give you loads of them.

I went into a local chemist and asked them for a few cannisters and came out with two bags of them! I only wanted 5 but the lady behind the desk had an "all or nothing" look on her face and had to lug them around the shopping centre for over an hour :huh:

As for magnets I got some from a recommendation on here. I think it was magnets.co.uk but it was definitely Eckington's recommendation :huh:

For film canisters, go in any photo processing shop and ask, they will usually give you loads of them.

I went into a local chemist and asked them for a few cannisters and came out with two bags of them! I only wanted 5 but the lady behind the desk had an "all or nothing" look on her face and had to lug them around the shopping centre for over an hour :D

As for magnets I got some from a recommendation on here. I think it was magnets.co.uk but it was definitely Eckington's recommendation :D

I have no conection with these peeps at all :huh: . except I buy their Magnets :huh: !

Neodynium magnets are great fun!

I got a couple of batches off eBay and they work a treat. Mind you I haven't put them out in the wild yet... IOM lot have now been warned! (I'm not saying how I'm using them :huh: )

I have some that are about 6mm, countersunk and you can hang a hammer off them. (3kg'ish) Great for screwing into the shed struts to hang up garden implements. I also have 50 x 3mm (10p each) magnets which are plenty powerful enough to stick a film canister to anything ferrous.

Word of caution about these magnets.... The big ones snap together very fast from several cm's apart and can pinch the skin. If they do slam together they can also shatter sending magnetic shards flying. So take care folks!

Cust.

If you are looking for something to do with those old unwanted computer hard drives, then strip them down and you will find two very powerful magnets, and the older the hard drive the more powerful the magnet.

Ask anyone who's been caching in Oxford :)

Afer doing 2 of your caches on our recent visit to Oxford we can confirm they are extremely strong :):D:D

Now where's the hammer and the old computer bits!!!!!