Anybody caching with a Geko?

curt&jen

For some strange reason I've always had a fascination with the Garmin Geko receivers. Granted, they are a completely NO-FRILLS product, but in my two years of geocaching I've yet to use any feature on my eTrex aside from the WAAS capability. The Geko 201 is WAAS enabled (as is the 301, but I don't need an electronic compass).

So I was curious if there are any minimalists out there who have gone geocaching with a Geko? If so, did it work out ok or not so much?

I found my first 100 caches with a Geko 101 and my next 200 with a Geko 201. I loved the size and simplicity of it. I liked using rechargeable AAAs that were also compatable with my mp3 player. I cached fairly often with my brother-in-law who had a Legend and the accuracy was about the same. I occasionally lost the signal because of tree cover but I don't think it ever kept me from finding caches. I did have a lot of trouble with it when I tried to cache in downtown Chicago. I upgraded mostly for the maps and I'm very happy with my Map60cx but sometimes I miss my little Geko.

Team Taran

Yep. Geko 101. I still take it out once in a while. I modified mine a little. I took a broken Stanley 25' tape measure and took the metal belt clip off of the back of it. I trimmed it a little with a hacksaw so that I could still access the battery cover and attached it to the back of the Geko. Makes a nice, strong belt clip. Mostly I use it to track distances/time walked with my wife.

:o I have used a Garmin Geko 101 flawlessly for 4 years hiking backpacking and geocaching. I now have the Magellan Explorist 210. I have no complaints with the Geko. This thing has been dropped, temporarily lost in thickets, and sweated on profusely and still works quite well.

For some strange reason I've always had a fascination with the Garmin Geko receivers. Granted, they are a completely NO-FRILLS product, but in my two years of geocaching I've yet to use any feature on my eTrex aside from the WAAS capability. The Geko 201 is WAAS enabled (as is the 301, but I don't need an electronic compass).

So I was curious if there are any minimalists out there who have gone geocaching with a Geko? If so, did it work out ok or not so much?

I found my first 100+ caches with a Geko 101 and the next 4000+ caches with a 301. Imo, the compass does help more than you would think. It gives you a nice consistent arrow regardless of your speed of travel.

Anyway, much as I love my 301 (I have a 201 in my glove compartment as emergency backup) I have switched to the yellow H. The increased sensitivity is a big step up. It has waas too, you know...

Mapping and route finding is done on my pocket pc.