My eTrex died....should I switch to Magellan?

curt&jen

Yesterday I was out doing some urban caching when my eTrex Legend just switched off. At first I thought it was the batteries, but after inserting a brand new pair it did it again. After switching off it leaves a residual vertical line in the LCD. After a few minutes it will respond to the on/off button again and start up, but it only stays on for a minute before dying again.

On top of that, the arrow on the navigation screen is now split into two pieces. One half of it sort of floats around the screen.....which is just wierd.

So, I'm in the market for a new receiver. Honestly I'm not happy with the operating life that I got out of my eTrex. It was only two years old and hadn't seen very much use at all. It's not that I'm mad at Garmin at all, I'm just ready and willing to consider other options for this next GPS purchase.

I decided to puchase a Garmin the first time around because I'd read about how durable they are. I'm pretty rough on my cell phone so durability is good for me. However, I wasn't rough on the eTrex and it still took a dump with no structural shocks to the system. So, a few questions:

1. What are the merits of Magellan receivers compared with Garmin?

2. Is Magellan's "TrueFix" technology just their version of WAAS or am I mixed up on that?

At first glance, there are a few things that appeal to me about Magellan's receivers, such as their geocaching software and USB interface (as opposed to the serial port that came with my eTrex).

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like your battery contacts have become compressed. Try "stretching" them out gently and see if you have better luck.

The compass issue sounds like you have the compass set for course instead of bearing. This will cause the compass middle to split so that you can see how far off you are off from the the line that was set when you hit goto.

You could also have an issue with the LCD connection. This is a know issue with the Garmin e-trex series that they have fixed. If you call Garmin and let them know that you think you have this issue they have been good in the past fixing the problem even when the unit is out of warranty.

Sounds like your battery contacts have become compressed. Try "stretching" them out gently and see if you have better luck.

The compass issue sounds like you have the compass set for course instead of bearing. This will cause the compass middle to split so that you can see how far off you are off from the the line that was set when you hit goto.

You could also have an issue with the LCD connection. This is a know issue with the Garmin e-trex series that they have fixed. If you call Garmin and let them know that you think you have this issue they have been good in the past fixing the problem even when the unit is out of warranty.

Thanks for explaining the floating arrow thing. I feel silly for not knowing that about my receiver.

The lines on the screen issue could be a result of a common flaw in the etrex design. There is a connector ribbon inside the unit which comes loose. There is a fix for this which you can do yourself. If you are interested in the instructions send me your email and I can send you the file. Or, if you want to search for it, there is a link to the instructions somewhere in these forums.

The lines on the screen issue could be a result of a common flaw in the etrex design. There is a connector ribbon inside the unit which comes loose. There is a fix for this which you can do yourself. If you are interested in the instructions send me your email and I can send you the file. Or, if you want to search for it, there is a link to the instructions somewhere in these forums.

Thanks for sending me the PDF. I read through it and you're right it is fairly simple. However, a couple of things occurred to me afterwards.

1. Since you're just cleaning the contacts then is this really a complete fix? What is to prevent those contacts from needing another fix in two years?

2. If I were to upgrade to a new model, like the Legend HCx, or just the Venture HC, would these receivers be likely to suffer from the same flaw as the rest of the eTrex line?

Thanks for your help. I'm close to making a decision.

I have had a Garmin Vista C for more than two years and it has never given me a problem. In fact, it fell out of my pack one time and fell more than 100 feet. It was still working when we found it at the bottom.

I recently upgraded to the Vista HCx and am very happy with it, especially with the ability to load a larger area of maps, load 1000 waypoints, and POIs.

The newer Garmins all have USB connection now.

I got a Legend C as an experiment to test a small size GPS. It's performance is very much inferior to my GPSmap 76CS. Better than nothing but I would be very hesitant to ever buy another Garmin toy size GPS. Somebody would have to loan me one of the new high tech units to test for free, and I would probably still be biased against them.

Has Magellan customer service actually improved enough that users would now recommend them?

Thanks for sending me the PDF. I read through it and you're right it is fairly simple. However, a couple of things occurred to me afterwards.

1. Since you're just cleaning the contacts then is this really a complete fix? What is to prevent those contacts from needing another fix in two years?

2. If I were to upgrade to a new model, like the Legend HCx, or just the Venture HC, would these receivers be likely to suffer from the same flaw as the rest of the eTrex line?

Thanks for your help. I'm close to making a decision.

It actually seems to connect better after the repair. I don't think that during the assembly that the connection is tight, but after the repair, the cable ribbon seems to "lock" in place better.

I have never seen or heard of this problem in the cx series...the hcx series should be the same as the cx series.

If I were you, I'd call Garmin Customer Service. Don't use email! When My Legend C got a loose connection, I called them, and they had me send it in, even though it was 5 months past the warranty. Within a few days, I received a NEW unit. All it cost me, was the shipping to send it in. I haven't heard of anyone getting that kind of service from Magellan.

Well, I have 5 GPS. Like to shop EBAY...2 Magellens, 3 Garmins. Truthfully, all trouble free. But from reading the forums here all the time, if there is a problem, Garmin is the company you want to be with. Magellan, seems to be a crap shoot in the type of service you get. Dirty contacts can happen, or a leaking battery, but you would of seen that on the battery change. Could be compressed to much or the loose cable. I'd do like another poster said and just call Garmin and see what they suggest. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Swampy

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Normally I would just send in the unit except that I REALLY need to have a working unit by this weekend. I'm leaving for a backpacking trip in Canyonlands Nation Park.

The consensus on Magellan is good enough for me. I've liked my Garmin a lot while it was working so I'll give this repair a try and see what happens. If it doesn't work then I guess I can purchase an inexpensive Garmin and send in the Legend in the meantime. Nothing wrong with having multiple units I guess :o

I also have the Garmin etrex vista C. Bought it new about 2 years ago and just a couple weeks ago, it did the same thing with the line in the middle and shuting down. I thought maybe it was the batteries, so I just replaced them. Could someone send me the info on how to clean the connectors or do what I need to do to keep it operational.

Thx fishercz20

Update: I've completed the repair procedure for reconnecting the LCD ribbon inside my etrex. My Legend is definitely working much better now, however I honestly see no reason why it should be. The ribbon that provides power and signal to the LCD was properly and securely connected when I opened it up. There is NO WAY that any dirt or filth could have infiltrated past the waterproof gasket (which you have to distroy and remove), much less get up into the ribbon connection. As would be expected, I found the connectors on the ribbon to be clean and free of dirt or corrosion. Nevertheless I disconnected it and then reinsterted the ribbon. So while the unit is in fact working now I don't expect this to be a long-term fix. Whichever factor caused the original malfunctions is still alive and well inside the unit (albeit mor vulnerable now due to the loss of the gasket).

My advise to anyone having similar etrex problems is to NOT do what I did. Just send in your unit and let Garmin repair or replace it. This is what I should have done given how good they are being about the problem.

Also, do this procedure at your own risk. You have to destroy the water-proofing gasket in order to open up the unit. If you do this it is not likely that Garmin will help you with that unit in the future. Looking back I wish I had just sent it in, so I only mention that because you may be better off. This repair is seriously weak in my opinion.