Is the email fairy on strike?

Delta68

I'm not sure if Groundspeak are having issues, which would cause no emails being sent, but there is always the chance that the email went, but never reached you, as there is no guarantee of an email ever reaching it's recipient. Therefore on occasions you might not get an email, even if sent.

I'm not sure if Groundspeak are having issues, which would cause no emails being sent, but there is always the chance that the email went, but never reached you, as there is no guarantee of an email ever reaching it's recipient. Therefore on occasions you might not get an email, even if sent.

After the posts saying that others have a glitch, does this make Moote's point a moot point? :huh:

They'll (they being Groundspeak) will just say tough. And I agree! :o Sorry to sound harsh. But when people phone the IT Service Desk at work, and I happen to be on rota and someone says "I've not received an e-mail, but I've spoken with the person who sent it, and they say that they have sent it." You then have to explain can you guarantee that the sender sent it, is the sender's e-mail server actually sending e-mails out on to the internet? Has it got stopped by an relay server (a server that is just an interim destination, it receives the e-mail, and then passes it on)? Has an anti-spam filter stopped it? Unfortunately, there are just tooo many things in between the originating e-mail server and the receiving e-mail server that are beyond your control.

My Mum when sending e-mails to my home address complains that e-mails can take a day or so to come through - but I have 2 forwardings (that I've configured) so that mail to me goes through up to 4 anti-spam filters. And it can take a while... but I don't have a problem with it because as I'll say on the service desk, if it really is that urgent, pick up the telephone! :o

PS. The person that phones the IT Service Desk - I do a test for an external e-mail, I don't just fob them off! But I then have to explain why their e-mail may not have arrived.

They'll (they being Groundspeak) will just say tough. And I agree! smile.gif Sorry to sound harsh. But when people phone the IT Service Desk at work, and I happen to be on rota and someone says "I've not received an e-mail, but I've spoken with the person who sent it, and they say that they have sent it."

But that still doesn't explain why I still haven't had this cache appear on my GC.com page - despite it being only 600m away - or appear in FirstToFind (ie on my "new caches" PQ)

They'll (they being Groundspeak) will just say tough. And I agree! smile.gif Sorry to sound harsh. But when people phone the IT Service Desk at work, and I happen to be on rota and someone says "I've not received an e-mail, but I've spoken with the person who sent it, and they say that they have sent it."

But that still doesn't explain why I still haven't had this cache appear on my GC.com page - despite it being only 600m away - or appear in FirstToFind (ie on my "new caches" PQ)

Hmmm - fair point. Dunno the answer. If your home co-ords are out maybe that's causing the problem but that sounds like a problem you may have to refer to the website forum. Linky here.

What's the GC code?

It was published on 28th September but the date on the cache page is actually 28th August which I'd guess is beyond the cut-off period for a new cache.

The notification is sent based on the cache set-up date and not the published one. The owner must have spent some time getting it ready before finally submitting it for review.

The way to get around this is to change the date to the same as the day published but not everyone knows they can do so or remember to check on every single cache.

Dino is right a cache only triggers the new Icon for 7 days and the creation date has to be within 7 days of that days date. As the caches creation date is a month earlier than it's publication date it wont have the new cache icon and will be listed with caches published and listed as being created on 28th August. Personally if I've only got 1 or 2 caches to review, there will be a higher chance of me catching a creation date which does not fall within 24/48 hours and changing it to the current date.

Ressurected this thread again rather than start another.

I haven't received any e-mails for nerby new caches for weeks. I've deleted the categories I want notification of and re-registered them again but still nothing.

Any ideas as to why I'm getting nothing, or even better, what I need to do to start receiving them again.

Edited just to mention that I do get the weekly notification.

Edited by kennamatic

Ressurected this thread again rather than start another.

I haven't received any e-mails for nerby new caches for weeks. I've deleted the categories I want notification of and re-registered them again but still nothing.

Any ideas as to why I'm getting nothing, or even better, what I need to do to start receiving them again.

Edited just to mention that I do get the weekly notification.

We keep getting notifications just fine, maybe your premium membership has expired for some reason?

I can guarantee that the Instant Notification is working :o as I have it set up on my player account which goes to a yahoo mail account. It's funny when the system is working at it's fastest, to watch the email notification for Yahoo mail to pop up for the Instant Notification Email on a cache I've just hit the publish button on :blink:

We have been having problems with notifications for the last few months. I know a few other nearby cachers have had similar problems. I raised a "ticket" with Groundspeak and they asked me to try a few things. For your information, this was their recent reply.

Thank you for providing that information. I did check with someone and currently there is a bug in the system that affects the caches with coordinates that include certain numbers (ie. coordinates that have W 000 in them). I know this issue is on the list that our developers are currently working to fix. I'm wondering if you can't try using a different search for setting up your notifications in the meantime?

The information I had provided was based on monitoring notifications for 9 days (alert set for within 20 miles of home co-ords) and comparing notifications to details of published caches.

Received:

GC192GF Whiplash - 17.41 W

GC192G1 Weird - 16.96 W

GC192HJ Polo - 16.23 W

GC192H2 Midhurst - 15.93 W

GC187M1 Southdowns Jolly 20 - 10.73 SE

GC190BP Picture Perfect Pond - 17.14 W

GC19013 Church Micro 22 - 12.16 N

GC18Z5Q Virgin Mary Springs - 11.46 W

GC18Y4D Pont Rouge - 16.71 SW

GC17G44 Back to School - 18.31 N

Did NOT receive:

GC191MK Watch out for the Copse - 4.96 N

GC18V7C High Heels - 11.06N

GC18GKR Church Micro 91 - 14.53 N

GC190A3 Trailwalker cache 3 - 12.63 N

GC18XXQ Horsham CD/DVD exchange - 5.97 N

GC18X8C Look Hyperactive - 12.77 N

GC18XAV Hole-in-One - 18.59 N

Oh dear!!!! ;)

Thanks for your replies. The W000 problem is interesting as all mine would start with that.

However, and wouldn't you just know it would happen, I downloaded my e-mails tonight, and having done nothing, I get my first notification for 3 months! ;):)

Hope all the rest of you with the same problem are getting the same result.