Petrified Wood Compass

OshnDoc

I am proud to announce my second coin design, the

"Petrified Wood Compass"

A joint project of GO_JayBee and OshnDoc, a project in the making for a few months now.

The coins are available for preorder in two different finishes. The samples turned out stunning, better then I had hoped when I started this coin. JayBee and I will both get a few of these as traders (JayBee will have some in Antique Gold and myself in Antique Copper), once the prorder is over and the coin is going into full production.

petrified-wood-gld-330.gif

petrified-wood-nic-330.gif

This coin portrays a slice of petrified wood, on which on one side a compass had been added a long time ago. This compass is now starting to weather away showing again the underlying features of the beautifully colored silicified wood, with the embedded colored minerals, which replaced the original wood during a slow process over many millions of years. During a process called Permineralization all pores within the wood were replaced by minerals and elements. The texture and coloration of the wood grain is extended through the slice of wood and shows on both sides where not covered by the compass. This coin was inspired by my first profession and ultimate hobby – Geology, combining the ultimate tool in geology, the compass, with the object of interest the rock.

The coin design is based on a picture of a petrified log I had taken many years ago in the Petrified Forest National Park (Holbrook, AZ), while driving across the US to deliver research equipment to Port Hueneme for shipment to Antarctica. I think Jamie form MadHattersNeverland did an excellent job helping me with this design.

The mixture of hard and soft translucent enamel on top of a textured background, as well as bare metal surfaces, is giving this coin a multi-level effect, with a lot of surface facets catching the light, trying to mimic the natural beauty of petrified wood.

• They are 2" in diameter, and trackable on Geocaching.com, with a slice of petrified wood as the icon
  • Translucent imitation hard and soft enamel colors, with different granulations in the metal