Box help needed

Hi, I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere that sells a container meeting the following requirements please, as I've looked all over and can't find anything suitable.

(1)Average or Large Geocache size.

(2)I need to be able to secure the lid with a single padlock (i.e. I want to use my own padlock so an internal lock is no good).

(3)The box cannot be opened without removing the padlock.

I'm rubbish with my hands so making/adapting something isn't an option, I'm looking for something off the shelf.

Thanks a lot

Andy

Hi, I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere that sells a container meeting the following requirements please, as I've looked all over and can't find anything suitable.

(1)Average or Large Geocache size.

(2)I need to be able to secure the lid with a single padlock (i.e. I want to use my own padlock so an internal lock is no good).

(3)The box cannot be opened without removing the padlock.

I'm rubbish with my hands so making/adapting something isn't an option, I'm looking for something off the shelf.

Thanks a lot

Andy

Have you looked round a security/locksmith shop there may be something suitable there!

Have you thought of getting a hasp welded to an ammo box? Your local backstreet car repair shop should do it for it cheaply.

Drilling in an ammo box would work if you do a few things to prevent rust and water ingress. 1) paint the holes after drilling to cover exposed metal. 2) use stainless bolts. 3) add silicone washers each side of the hole when you put the bolt in. Rubber washers would do but require maintenance, whereas silicone will last years.

I have an ammo box with a plastic lock box inside. I drilled two holes in the sides of the plactic box to thread a chain through that is then padlocked to prevent the lid being removed. The swaps are in the ammo box with the GC.com note and instructions from the cache page how to open the lock (you have to find three other caches) and the log book is in the locked box :huh:

I don't like externally locked boxes. If accidentally found I think they are more likely to create a security alert or similar fuss than an unlocked box.

Have you thought of getting a hasp welded to an ammo box? Your local backstreet car repair shop should do it for it cheaply.

If you go this route don't forget to remove the rubber seal, in the lid I think, as the heat from the welding will bu**er it up!

H

PS The **'s are not t's :huh:

How about fitting a hasp and staple to a ammo can?

If you drill holes you'll need to make sure that the container remains waterproof and if drilling holes in metal waterproofing is even more important because of rust.

You could araldite (glue) a hasp and clasp to a container......that would work!

Don't Araldite or Glue a hasp on as most glues will seperate with a good thump, especially after the elements have had a go in a typical cache environment. If you can't get it welded, a few pop rivets and a coating of sealant will do the trick. :huh:

If you go this route don't forget to remove the rubber seal, in the lid I think, as the heat from the welding will bu**er it up!

H

PS The **'s are not t's :huh:

The lid on most ammo cans can be detached from the box by opening it fully and pushing it sideways on the hinges. Welding anything to the lid's 'clamp handle' wouldn't damage the seal as the heat transfer up the two small diameters wires wouldn't be enough. You'd do more damage to the rubber seal trying to remove it.

I've used hasp and staples on ammo cans quite successfully in the past. They were attached with 'blind' stainless steel pop-rivets with a smear of silicon sealant between the bits before riveting. Never had a problem with water ingress.