Garmin eTrex Legend won't stay on

Red Rose

Well, that happens to mine more and more frequently now. Sorry to hear that yours is having that problem all the time.

What happens if you try to turn it on while plugged into a PC via USB cable? Does it stay on then?

If so, then you have what I suspect is wrong with mine -- intermittent connection or corrosion inside the unit where the battery compartment contacts the inside circuit board.

My eTrex turns off randomly when I press buttons on the sides or when I'm just carrying it on a hike... I'll look down to see how close I am to the cache and *blank screen*! I've been fighting it for several weeks now, but a repair trip to Garmin HQ will cost more than $100 (I expect -haven't gotten price quotes, so feel free to correct me) so I'm just saving up to try to get a new unit instead.

Well, that happens to mine more and more frequently now. Sorry to hear that yours is having that problem all the time.

What happens if you try to turn it on while plugged into a PC via USB cable? Does it stay on then?

If so, then you have what I suspect is wrong with mine -- intermittent connection or corrosion inside the unit where the battery compartment contacts the inside circuit board.

My eTrex turns off randomly when I press buttons on the sides or when I'm just carrying it on a hike... I'll look down to see how close I am to the cache and *blank screen*! I've been fighting it for several weeks now, but a repair trip to Garmin HQ will cost more than $100 (I expect -haven't gotten price quotes, so feel free to correct me) so I'm just saving up to try to get a new unit instead.

If that's the problem any electrical technician could fix it for you. I bet you could ask in your local threads if anyone knows one or is one.

Sorry but sounds like it is a electrical problem. I know that the service at Garmin, since I have used them several time, is fantastic. You might just want to open a ticket with them and see what they can do for you. My unit was a year or so old, and was never charged for it, repair or replacement.