Max Garmin IMG size?

oisact

I've created a custom map that MapSource will not let me select with the Map Tool for downloading to the GPSr. I can select my map Product, and it displays great in MapSource - it just won't let me choose it. I've made a few other maps, and they work fine and can be downloaded to my GPSr. The only difference with this one is the size - it is 11.9 MB. Is there a size limit for IMG files, or have I done something else wrong making the map?

Thanks.

Dan

Edited by oisact

I've created a custom map that MapSource will not let me select with the Map Tool for downloading to the GPSr. I can select my map Product, and it displays great in MapSource - it just won't let me choose it. I've made a few other maps, and they work fine and can be downloaded to my GPSr. The only difference with this one is the size - it is 11.9 MB. Is there a size limit for IMG files, or have I done something else wrong making the map?

Thanks.

Dan

How much map memory does your unit have?

I found the problem. Hopefully this will save someone else some trouble.

When a map is compiled it produces two IMG files. One is a Preview file (Prev.img) and the other is the actual map with all the information. The prev.img file is usually very small. In the registry where custom maps are specified for MapSource, it was pointing directly to the actual map IMG, not the preview IMG. So the result was that the map would display as it should, but could not be selected.

I messed up when manually editing the .REG file that enters the custom map information.

Dan