Geocoin Discussion Forum

avroair

Recently, I have seen more and more postings for individual coin sales linked directly to ebay. I click on the thread expecting to see a list of coins or a new coin for sale and all I get is a link to ebay. <_<

I have no problem with people listing coins on ebay, heck I even don't mind new coin sales threads or collection of coins listed for sale. But can we please not turn these forums into a classified section for ebay. I just find this kind of promotion irritating, the forums are meant as a discussion center for the geocoin community, not an opportunity to individually list your ebay sales. :rolleyes:

I know I could just ignore it and move on, I just find it tasteless and in my opinion, these forums are not the place for it.

Or maybe I'm just getting crotchety in my old age. <_<

edited: spelling

Edited by avroair

Hmm . . . well I tend to agree, but I think it is facinating to see this happen because it is one more indication that the world of geocoins is changing. The buyers are being more selective in what they are buying and you can no longer sell 250 of anything. People are trying to move coins any way they can.

I suspect that given some time we will see few new coins issued and that the quality of those coin designs will improve . . . I don't know maybe not . . . .

My Thoughts!

Really? I don't see the issue here. I mean these forums went from being a discussion group a LONG time ago and turned into classified ads. What's the difference between linking to an eBay individual sale or linking back to somebody's website or asking somebody to email them directly for a sale?

Take a look at the last 100 threads or so and see how many of them are sales related versus actual discussions <_< . The few discussion threads qucikly fall off the page.

If I had my way, we'd have separate forum altogether for discussions versus sales.

Really? I don't see the issue here. I mean these forums went from being a discussion group a LONG time ago and turned into classified ads. What's the difference between linking to an eBay individual sale or linking back to somebody's website or asking somebody to email them directly for a sale?

Take a look at the last 100 threads or so and see how many of them are sales related versus actual discussions <_< . The few discussion threads qucikly fall off the page.

If I had my way, we'd have separate forum altogether for discussions versus sales.

I think if you look back people have always offered coins for sale here in this forum with announcements of new coins. The eBay links that avroair mentions are fairly new though.

Take a look at the last 100 threads or so and see how many of them are sales related versus actual discussions :( . The few discussion threads qucikly fall off the page.

Funny, I just did a count (rough count) on the first page of the forum.

- 45 Non-Sales related

- 18 Sales related (most near middle and bottom of page)

I would say other than the eBay listings the number of new coins has slowed and this has turned to more discussion about coins.

Back on topic. I have listed a group of coins here to sell off at a set price. I have "yes" sold some on eBay. I did not post here that I had some for sale on eBay.

Or maybe I'm just getting crotchety in my old age. :(

Considering your actual age, gawd help us when you hit 60. :huh:

As far as the eBay sales stuff, yeah...it can get a little thick at times. But let's not shut it off just yet. I'm thinking of having a surgeon laser-brand a tracking code on one of my kidneys, and then selling it on eBay as a "geocoin" to avoid them shutting down the auction. Afterall, ANYTHING can be a travel bug! What's even better is that I could technically advertise the auction here...because it's trackable! LOLZ, I M SO WIN!11111

Really? I don't see the issue here. I mean these forums went from being a discussion group a LONG time ago and turned into classified ads.

You didn't quite get my distinction.

I am talking about listing individual coins and links to each ebay listing, not a new coin coming out. I agree both are classified in a sense, but the former is now becoming prevalent, whereas the later has always been around.

Maybe just another step closer to a sales forum, but just wanted to point it out.

I agree. Ebay sales threads are different than other coin sales threads.. Announcing and selling a new coin; I like those threads, it's new. Even if I don't want it, I like to see the pictures, and people give feedback, etc. those are totally appropriate threads But opening a thread for a link to ebay? If I were looking for a coin I can no longer get from the store, I'd already be looking for it on ebay.

Actually thats a lie. I don't even have an ebay account.

So I'm really one to talk, I have even less interest in the ebay links!

But then again how much of a nuisanse is it really?

Well, I guess I'm in Captain Mark's boat. I find the links directly to Ebay sales solely for personal profit very annoying. I would like to see a pinned thread for Ebay stuff as well. I've been thinking that to myself for quite some time now, just never really knew how to put it out there.

Charity auctions, new coin sales, etc. are all very different.

Oh yeah, btw, I have two coins on Ebay now. Go bid :(

I suspect that given some time we will see few new coins issued and that the quality of those coin designs will improve . . . I don't know maybe not . . . .

I dunno, I've been saying that for the past 2 years now....careful, you may start to agree with me. :(

Really? I don't see the issue here. I mean these forums went from being a discussion group a LONG time ago and turned into classified ads.

You didn't quite get my distinction.

Ok, I see your point. You're talking about the individual sales of coins that were previosuly sold, and now the owner is selling them on eBay one-by-one out of their collection.

I guess for me, they are all one and the same. There is still very little discussion about coins IMO.

I'll go count the threads when I have time, but I'm willing to be that the ones that are not direct sales are still being used to promote the coins. MOST of the contests, not all, seem to be a way of promoting a coin sale (indirectly) intentionally or not. Not saying this is right, wrong, good or bad, just a fact.

The threads about "your favorite coin" or "heart's desire" are just the same as either the trading thread, or another way of getting your hands on a coin, too. Essentially, a craig's list of what you are looking for so I would hardly call that a "discussion" either.

But, just like coins, there's something here for everybody I suppose....

think about this:

you have a new coin, do you start a thread in the Sales forum or the Discussion forum, or both forums?

:huh:

I can see some issues with trying to split them up, and trying to moderate them to keep them separate might involve some crazy decisions at to what is a sales discussion and what is a discussion discussion.

i think the "one coin one thread" rule is a necessary evil to keep the forums sanity intact (or at least to keep the INsanity to a minimum).

:(

I don't like the ebay auction links, one reason is because they end so quickly it's a dead link most of the time. All sales links should lead directly to a coin, whether it's a coin store, or ebay.

I've been in this forum since the beginning, and it's always felt like one advertisement after another. I remember taking the matter to Groundspeak to separate it from the travel bugs. I said to Bryan, I said "These geocoins could get big, we need to do something" And they did. The forums were split off. And the TB forums slowed down. Everyone is always welcome to come back to Travel Bugs!!! :( But there is angst in there too.

It's nice when a good geocoin discussion thread comes up. But I don't think splitting them into sales and discussions would do any good for the reason mentioned above. Coin threads start out as discussion first, they go through stages and become sale threads. FSM and I are not going to spend time every day moving threads back and forth.

I don't see why you would have to move threads back and forth, it's either a sale or it's not. Or to clarify even more, sales, cointests, auctions, benefits, would fall under one group and anything that's just talkin about coins would go in the other group.

Adding also.... If it's getting to the point where this would be too much for just 2 mods, maybe another mod should be added, or each mod could take one forum. I know Eartha already has the bugs to deal with too, so maybe more manpower is in order.

I like reading about how far a coin has gone, or what special coin you found, I hate having to weed through all the sales.

Edited by Hula Bum

I don't see why you would have to move threads back and forth, it's either a sale or it's not. Or to clarify even more, sales, cointests, auctions, benefits, would fall under one group and anything that's just talkin about coins would go in the other group.

I vote for the second forum, but would leave cointests in the talking group. I also agree its time for a thrid mod to take some relief for the other two. Where's that thread about how to become a mod now?

Hypothetically, if this evolves into a situation where the sales gets separated from the main geocoin forums, just how convoluted will that thread be? The trading thread gets pretty diluted sometimes, and the activation code clearing house is worthless from a practical standpoint, unless you have the time and wherewithall to wade through all the posts. I am all for the sales and promotion of new coins having their own corner of these forums, but there really needs to be a method to the madness.

If there were two threads don't you think that the majority of readers in the geocoin forum would just then have to spend time going through two different forums instead of one?

Nope, some of us don't care about the sales threads or ebay threads, so it'd just be one to go through!

Just a question, do you buy geocoins or just trade?

If there were two threads don't you think that the majority of readers in the geocoin forum would just then have to spend time going through two different forums instead of one?

Nope, some of us don't care about the sales threads or ebay threads, so it'd just be one to go through!

Neither actually, my collection are all ones that have been given to me by their owners/makers. I am only into coins that come from someone I have a connection with.

Neither actually, my collection are all ones that have been given to me by their owners/makers. I am only into coins that come from someone I have a connection with.

:huh:

I guess I'll chime in with my 2 cents (maybe it's worth 3?? LOL :huh: ). I don't agree with splitting the geocoin forum into 2 sections. I don't want to wade through 2 forums. I would wager a guess that the majority of people that use this forum buy geocoins or trade for them. Seems like it would be a shame to have to jump back ad forth from forum to forum.

As for the ebay topic I think there have been a few more advertisements for personal auctions lately and I wouldn't mind a pinned thread for that sort of thing. I think that charity auctions should not have to fall in the pinned category though.