Arm mounted GPS

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as how I can mount my GPS [Garmin Vista CX] onto my arm.

I use the unit not only for Geocaching but for climbing, mountaineering and skiing.

The problem with the lanyard is that it cannot be held securely against my body and in swinging around is more prone to damage or snagging from rocks/trees etc.

High winds also cause the unit to twist around until I am nearly strangled and when skiing the unit just gets in the way especially after a fall [quite common with me,especially at my top registered speed of 67.9mph!]

Perhaps here is some kind of elasticated netting around ? but will have to look cool so a cut off bit of panty hose will not be acceptable!

Obviously the method must not affect the signal strength in any way.

I have suggested my arm as it is probably the most unlikely place for the unit to get in the way. Waist mounted and you have problems with clothing / harnesses snagging.

Can you help please?

Certainly can. If you get a GPS bike mount, bastardise it, and then improvise a strap or two to fasten it to your limb, the GPS will then clip onto your arm/wrist. The most secure orientation would be parallel with your arm so you may need an extra elbow to be able to see it, or you could mount it like a very wide watch, I suppose.

Edited to add that the dashboard mount might be better with the etrex - although it too would require "modification". Or you could buy a Foretrex® 201 wrist-mounted GPSr.

Edited by jerryo

My rucksac has a mesh pocket on one of the sholder straps, which I guess is for a mobile phone - I sometimes put the gps in there if I just want to carry it for a tracklog and not view the screen constantly.

Could you sew a mesh pocket onto the upper arm of your jacket?

Of course, the other thing would be to buy a foretrex (if that's the right name?) which straps to your wrist anyway.

Or, the elegant solution - duct tape it to your arm! <_<

I know the problem well. I originally had a Garmin Geko, and even though it's the smallest and lightest hand-held it was pretty useless for hiking trips as you'd have to have it somewhere out of sight, or allow it to swing about annoyingly.

The same applies to geocaching - I don't know how people cope with having to hold a unit all the time as well as having to keep a PDA and trekking pole under control and search for a cache as well!

So I bought a Foretrex 201, which is probably the best geocaching GPSr at the moment (despite having an inferior and ancient chipset) and is certainly the best for hiking, skiing, mountaineering etc. It is super-light and attaches safely to your wrist, allowing you to have both hands free and yet have instant access to GPS readings (great when you're following a route all day or heading through tricky country). It has all the expected standard features and is very robust (I can't count the number of times I've dropped it onto tarmac!).

The downside is that it's rather an old model and in need of an update (the newer chipset would do as it's poor in tree cover). Garmin don't seem to have much interest in upgrading it - which surprises me - but the competition doesn't appear capable of filling the gap.

Garmin don't seem to have much interest in upgrading it - which surprises me - but the competition doesn't appear capable of filling the gap.

Not sure if it's public knowledge yet, but I have it on good authourity that Garmin have a new Foretrex nearing the end of development that includes a colour screen and mapping. Release date is planned to be before the end of the year...

Jon.

We were impressed with the wrist mounted Foretrex - we were caching with The Jersey Royals who have one earlier this year, it held signal much longer and seemed to be more accurate than our Etrex Legend in woodland. It is old tech but at the right price.......

Its was also much more managable with all the other stuff we sometimes carry.

Oh, we clip our Legend onto a rucksack strap, when we have the 'sack with us, otherwise it gets left at the cache <_<

L&H

Not sure if it's public knowledge yet, but I have it on good authourity that Garmin have a new Foretrex nearing the end of development that includes a colour screen and mapping. Release date is planned to be before the end of the year...

Jon.

If your source is correct, it's very good news <_<

I've been checking the Garmin website for months now but haven't seen any mention of the Foretrex replacement. I've been following developments in GPSr development but I really wouldn't buy a hand-held model: I guess they're keeping quiet to prevent sales of the current Foretrex model drying up too early.

I use a special device along with my lanyard, it's call a pocket and comes free with most quality shirts and jackets!

Being a mountaineer and rock climber, I know just how much anything on the wrist can be either a hazard or just plain annoying

Indeed, but I find it a little hard to read in a pocket, and it's REALLY annoying if you have to retrieve it and put it away again every couple of minutes. I guess that you don't do that so you don't need a wrist-mounted one.

Thanks everyone

DINO-IRL comments were the most useful as it led me to a really good site GPSGEEK which sell loads of accessories for Garmin. The neoprene carrying case [for about $25 including deliv. from the U.S] looks ideal

and it has a velcro strap at the back to attach to belt/ handlebarsetc. It also has a snap link to clip onto a climbing harness.

Comments from others that 'I could always put it in my pocket' not appropriate as climbing harness gets in the way and these things don't work in the pocket or at least my one does'nt.

Cheers everyone

:o:oB)B):PB)

Thanks everyone

DINO-IRL comments were the most useful as it led me to a really good site GPSGEEK which sell loads of accessories for Garmin. The neoprene carrying case [for about $25 including deliv. from the U.S]

My pleasure but IIRC I got a similar case for a 76CSx for only $20....maybe he sells more of them

Item link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=008