External Power

cruz2cache

I purchased this unit last year for boating but have started caching recently. I picked up a dashmount and external power supply for the etrex, the first day I tested the external power I was driving for several hours (connected) and the batteries went dead?? my mext idea was that the external power only works if the batteries are disconnected? so I removed the batteries and was driving for awhlie and noticed the unit had shut down again, with a vertical line through the screen but otherwise blank!. I tried rebooting no luck then reinstalled the new batteries and all was good. Not sure if I want to connect to the power supply again??

Anyboby had the same problem or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

When you connect the power cable between the Legend and the car, there should be an icon to show that it is running on line power instead of batteries. I suspect that this is not happening for you.

There could be several reasons: the socket in the car is not delivering power (blown fuse in the car?); the cable itself is not letting power through (blown fuse in the plug that goes in the socket), or some sort of defect in the cable itself.

There is no need to remove the batteries to have the unit use external power.

If your problem is with intermittent power, then you might look closely at the connectors to see that they are seated properly. I find that the one that goes to the socket in the car can benefit from a little twist as you insert. You might also look in the socket in the car. I once found a dime there and it caused all sorts of havoc.

When you connect the power cable between the Legend and the car, there should be an icon to show that it is running on line power instead of batteries. I suspect that this is not happening for you.

There could be several reasons: the socket in the car is not delivering power (blown fuse in the car?); the cable itself is not letting power through (blown fuse in the plug that goes in the socket), or some sort of defect in the cable itself.

There is no need to remove the batteries to have the unit use external power.

If your problem is with intermittent power, then you might look closely at the connectors to see that they are seated properly. I find that the one that goes to the socket in the car can benefit from a little twist as you insert. You might also look in the socket in the car. I once found a dime there and it caused all sorts of havoc.

okay, thanks for the info, I will try again looking for the icon showing its on external power, I could not see an icon but I was driving and it was a sunny day

okay, thanks for the info, I will try again looking for the icon showing its on external power, I could not see an icon but I was driving and it was a sunny day

Hynr is absolutley correct about the icon. But more specifically if you can still see the Battery icon (indicating the level of Battery charge) you are NOT on external power.

If you are on external power instead of a Battery Icon you will have a 2 Prong Wall Plug Icon.

You will have one Power Icon or the other. Never both.

Is that a generic 12V to USB adapter, or is it a Garmin? The adapter has to convert to 5V, and if it is a cheap (or defective) adapter it may not be producing the proper voltage (or it may not be properly filtered). If it still doesn't work after all the suggestions above then try a different adapter.

Dan

Is that a generic 12V to USB adapter, or is it a Garmin? The adapter has to convert to 5V, and if it is a cheap (or defective) adapter it may not be producing the proper voltage (or it may not be properly filtered). If it still doesn't work after all the suggestions above then try a different adapter.

Dan

If this is, in fact, the blue eTrex Legend, it does not have a USB port. The vertical line through the display sounds like the loose ribbon connector issue.

Dan

If this is, in fact, the blue eTrex Legend, it does not have a USB port. The vertical line through the display sounds like the loose ribbon connector issue.

My eTrex Vista did the single line thing several times the other day. It completely frove and I had to take out the batteries and put them back in to reboot. I do not have an external power cord. Is there a fix for that?

My eTrex Vista did the single line thing several times the other day. It completely frove and I had to take out the batteries and put them back in to reboot. I do not have an external power cord. Is there a fix for that?

If it is the loose ribbon connector there is a fix that requires taking the unit apart. I did that and it recurred after a few months. I found a sharp rap on the palm of my hand usually got the screen back (I don't really use the Legend anymore).

The repair procedure. It is the same for the Legend.

If it is the loose ribbon connector there is a fix that requires taking the unit apart. I did that and it recurred after a few months. I found a sharp rap on the palm of my hand usually got the screen back (I don't really use the Legend anymore).

Thank you! Me and my screwdriver have a date tonight!! :(

That PDF of the opened Vista is great. Excellent stuff. Thanks. :(

Opps!!!!!

ok I tried the adapter again with batteries in and unit powered up, plug it in and the plug icon shows up. Thats good, tried wigglying the connections no problem, unplugged the cord from the socket and a box comes up saying the unit will shut down in 23.... seconds, should the unit not just revert to battery power??

The unit is not a Garmin, but is the correct 3 volt ribbon connection for the blue etrex. I will have to try it again but watch it more closely. Also my truck rides like a tank so maybe the shaking is too much for the ribbon connector? (which seems to fit tightly)

I'll let you know if I can figure this out

Thanks for all the help

Edited by cruz2cache

Many people who use their GPSr in the car want it to come on automatically when the car is running, just like any other device in the car (radio, etc). If it stayed on when the external power was removed then it would require an extra step to turn the GPSr off manually every time you leave the car. That of course would result in a lot of dead batteries.

I don't know how much your unit differs from my Venture Cx, but I have an option under Settings->System that specifies what to do when external power is lost. Default is "Turn Off", which first provides the 30 second warning you see. The other option is "Stay On", which might be what you want (reverting to battery power).

Dan

Edited by oisact