Missing Coins

Sunrayers

I have a quick question for all the eBay sellers out there. If you sold a coin thru an auction and the winner paid the S&H but elected NOT to take the optional insurance and the coin turned up MIA thru the Paypal shipping (confimed by the Paypal site as still not delivered)would you:

A- Refund the winners money anyway, even tho they didn't take the Insurance?

B-Send the winner another coin of equal or greater value?

C-Respond to the winner that since they elected NOT to purchase the Insurance there is nothing you can do and accept the Negative Feedback that is sure to follow?

I'm assuming that there is no way of tracking lost items through PayPal and the "Tracking" number is for Delivery Confirmation only!

I'm certain that this has happened to somebody and I'm just wondering what YOU would do?

Thanks

How long has it been since you sent it? I've had coins take unfortunately 16 days to get from the Detroit area to St Louis by first class mail. In your case if he/she files a paypal dispute since it doesn't show as delivered they would win the dispute and their money would be refunded and then paypal gets it from you. You could offer a different coin but as a buyer I probably wouldn't take it.

The Postal Service is beyond my control. However I tend to track everything with non optional tracking. If the auction is anticipated to be expensive, insurance isn't optional either.

If I'm making bank selling coins sure I can do A and probably would. B. Is a gamble and it may not make it to that person either, or you may not have anything they like.

Reality is nobody makes bank selling coins on eBay. That leaves C. Yes negative feedback in retaliation is possible. It helps to be clear in your auction. I've left positive feedback on some stupid auctions I won because they were very clear and I missed that part.

The things I am selling on eBay come with tracking and insurance and they are not optional. However the price for most right now is about 50 bucks and up so insurance is worth it.

Edited by Renegade Knight

This happened to me one time I chose option A

2 weeks later the coin did show up (3 + weeks in transit) and I was sent the funds (again that were refunded) and recieved outstanding feedback,

My reasoning was if D/C did not show it delivered it probably was not and did not want to loose my 100% feedback over a 10 buck coin being a ebeyer since the year 2000. In the end it did show and I was paid, and all were happy, And yes auction stated to take insurance or be at your own risk, I made the exception, this was the only occurance of this type.

Edited by glennk721

I do sell coins on E-bay. I couldn't release as many coins as I do otherwise. Twice I have had coins turn up missing. Once I was able to replace the coin because I had an other and the other time I gave the person a "credit" for the amount of the coin towards any of my other auctions. Both times the customer was happy. That's a win for both of us :rolleyes: .

It's only been 2 weeks since I mailed the coin out and I guess it could still be in transit. I asked the buyer to give it a week and, if it doesn't show up I'll send them my copy of the coin (there goes my Icon). They purchased the coin in good faith and I mailed the coin in good faith but my sense of Fair Play and the Feedback threat are dictating what I need to do!

I use eBay to offset those Coin Buying Benders I seem to have "occasionally" but, if I was doing the math I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother anymore!

Thanks for the replies, they reinforced what I felt I needed to do all along! I'm sending out over $200.00 in coins to a buyer tomorrow and you KNOW I'll be purchasing insurance out of my pocket!

Edited by Sunrayers

Well, I have one currently that has not shown up according the the delivery confirmation number, but I asked the person to give it the full 30 days. I think I have about a week more. I will offer to refund the payment less the shipping fees, which I have proof of paying obviously.

I also had one last month where the item arrived, tho I was told it wasn't in the mailer. I took your option C. Paypal refunded their money in a claim anyway, but paypal also credited me the money as well. Long story.

Finally I have one from overseas that didn't show up, but was returned to me as undeliverable. I have notified the buyer and am trying to work out reshipment with a future purchase at no charge. She's offered to repay the ship fee since it was her carriers fault (new person on the route), but the amount of fees paypal takes out of that small amount is a waste. If she doesn't win something soon, I'll refund her money and relist the coin on eBay.

Well, I have one currently that has not shown up according the the delivery confirmation number, but I asked the person to give it the full 30 days. I think I have about a week more. I will offer to refund the payment less the shipping fees, which I have proof of paying obviously.

I also had one last month where the item arrived, tho I was told it wasn't in the mailer. I took your option C. Paypal refunded their money in a claim anyway, but paypal also credited me the money as well. Long story.

Finally I have one from overseas that didn't show up, but was returned to me as undeliverable. I have notified the buyer and am trying to work out reshipment with a future purchase at no charge. She's offered to repay the ship fee since it was her carriers fault (new person on the route), but the amount of fees paypal takes out of that small amount is a waste. If she doesn't win something soon, I'll refund her money and relist the coin on eBay.

You must be Quite the Diplomat considering your Feedback Score. I guess it's a matter of choosing your battles :rolleyes:

I've been reading the Feedback topic with GREAT Interest. I'm beginning to question the wisdom of giving Good Feedback as soon as payment is received, because that's a BIG stick they have in their hands! Luckily, I haven't had an unreasonable buyer as yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time!

You must be Quite the Diplomat considering your Feedback Score. I guess it's a matter of choosing your battles :rolleyes:

I've been reading the Feedback topic with GREAT Interest. I'm beginning to question the wisdom of giving Good Feedback as soon as payment is received, because that's a BIG stick they have in their hands! Luckily, I haven't had an unreasonable buyer as yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time!

I don't know that I'd use that term. I look at each incident on a case by case basis and make my choice.

I've been on eBay a long long time (1996 pre-ipo) and I have seen it all. There were scammers out there who tried to return another sellers item as the one I sent them, there were sellers out there that grossly misrepresented what they were selling and I got burned badly, I've even been harassed by a lunatic over a broken item that was insured and the jerk refused to make the insurance claim (a USPS requirement, btw).

Now with geocoins, I have cruised since nov 2005 as a seller of them with no problems until quite recently. In the middle case I outlined above, I'll take the negative because quite frankly, I don't see how I can possibly be heald accountable for a third party (USPS). I fought PayPal on this with vigor and I have taken several surveys of theirs on the topic since. I am pushing hard for more sellers rights and for them to clearly define the buyer protection into subsections where some of those side with the seller. I've been a customer of theirs since they were 1 month old (way before the ebay owning them days). And I'm making sure they are listening.

The third case above is a semi regular buyer. So I am hoping that one will just work itself out through a future sale.

The first case, I don't know what to think. Either A. the item really hasn't shown up or B. the item has been delivered, but since the USPS didn't do the delivery scan, the buyer is going to take advantage of it.

I've had a bit of experience with the topic too. Some coins I sold went missing, so I have sent 2 of my own coins to make up for it. I am just crossing my fingers they get there!

I also accidently once wrote a coin was trackable when it wasn't (oops, darn those pre-filled templates!!) so i refunded the money (+ postage) and let her keep the coin. It was my bad.

I want to keep my customers happy :rolleyes:

But with insurance, really if the buyer doesn't ask for it, it's a case of caveat emptor. But I would ask the buyer if they wanted their money back, or more coins sent (if I had them).

Now with geocoins, I have cruised since nov 2005 as a seller of them with no problems until quite recently. In the middle case I outlined above, I'll take the negative because quite frankly, I don't see how I can possibly be heald accountable for a third party (USPS). I fought PayPal on this with vigor and I have taken several surveys of theirs on the topic since. I am pushing hard for more sellers rights and for them to clearly define the buyer protection into subsections where some of those side with the seller.

Amen and Good Luck!

I have sold squished pennies on eBay. I had a buyer inform me 10 days after I sent his package to him that, while he is a verified customer of PayPals, the numbers in the address they have for him are wrong. Why would you wait until 10 days after payment is made to inform the seller that the address the item needs to go to is different? This wasn't an item I had a duplicate of, and he opted not to purchase insurance either, and the auction clearly stated As Is, No Refunds. I sent a copy of the lunatics email to both PayPal and eBay where he ADMITS he supplied them with the wrong address. Both insisted that I refund the money.

The good news is, they also reimbursed me for the full amount. Even better, the lunatic, by his own doing, was kicked out of several squished penny communities. 6 months after the thing was over, the package returned to my home, with NO SUCH ADDRESS stamped all over it!

Don, is your customer verified through Paypal? Is there any possibility he had the wrong address listed?

Now with geocoins, I have cruised since nov 2005 as a seller of them with no problems until quite recently. In the middle case I outlined above, I'll take the negative because quite frankly, I don't see how I can possibly be heald accountable for a third party (USPS). I fought PayPal on this with vigor and I have taken several surveys of theirs on the topic since. I am pushing hard for more sellers rights and for them to clearly define the buyer protection into subsections where some of those side with the seller.

Amen and Good Luck!

I have sold squished pennies on eBay. I had a buyer inform me 10 days after I sent his package to him that, while he is a verified customer of PayPals, the numbers in the address they have for him are wrong. Why would you wait until 10 days after payment is made to inform the seller that the address the item needs to go to is different? This wasn't an item I had a duplicate of, and he opted not to purchase insurance either, and the auction clearly stated As Is, No Refunds. I sent a copy of the lunatics email to both PayPal and eBay where he ADMITS he supplied them with the wrong address. Both insisted that I refund the money.

The good news is, they also reimbursed me for the full amount. Even better, the lunatic, by his own doing, was kicked out of several squished penny communities. 6 months after the thing was over, the package returned to my home, with NO SUCH ADDRESS stamped all over it!

Don, is your customer verified through Paypal? Is there any possibility he had the wrong address listed?

G.G. - His address is Verified and he is a repeat customer, the first time I sent him one the P.O. said his Zip was bad an they wouldn't allow me to print the label as listed. I confirmed his Zip (N.Y.C.) and the coin arrived with no problem. It probably just fell thru the cracks somewhere and will turn up at some point but I don't want an unhappy Customer so I'll make right!- By he way, if you going to the Fall Frolic, Meet+Greet, bring your coins! I've got LOT's more now than I had @ ASP Geobash II (the Re-Hab didn't work <_<)

Edited by Sunrayers

G.G. - His address is Verified and he is a repeat customer, the first time I sent him one the P.O. said his Zip was bad an they wouldn't allow me to print the label as listed. I confirmed his Zip (N.Y.C.) and the coin arrived with no problem. It probably just fell thru the cracks somewhere and will turn up at some point but I don't want an unhappy Customer so I'll make right!- By he way, if you going to the Fall Frolic, Meet+Greet, bring your coins! I've got LOT's more now than I had @ ASP Geobash II (the Re-Hab didn't work :()

More? How could you possibly have more than you had at ASP GII? :huh: I'll bring 'em, and hopefully will have a little news, too!

I'll take the negative because quite frankly, I don't see how I can possibly be heald accountable for a third party (USPS).

As with any delivery company, when you pay the shipping charges, you are hiring that company and agreeing to there TOS to deliver your package to the buyer for you. They are acting on your behalf as your agent, not the buyers.

Has the buyer said to you that they expect a refund?

As an e-bay buyer or a coin buyer in general, if I don't choose to buy insurance and the coin doesn't show up, it my problem. I would not expect a refund, nor would negative feedback or even neutral feedback occur.

This assumes I either trust the seller implicitly or I can track myself that the package was sent.

As an ebay seller and buyer for some time it looks like many of you are unfortunately missing some important information. I should also meniton my seller account has almost 30,000 feedback and 100% positive.

First forget paying for USPS insurance. You'll go through more hassle than its worth and almost never get your money back. By all means offer insurance but don't buy any. Keep the money in a fund to use to pay for the lost items. In effect YOU are the insurance. Its all a scam anyway and the PO makes more on it than on postage.

The main reason you do this is because when a buyer pays with paypal and say they do not receive the item, you almost always have to refund the customers money. Trust me I've been doing this for a long time and your not going to change it. If you take Paypal you'll almost never win the judgment. This is especially true in the case of out of country shipping. There is no way to track items and so Paypal has no way to prove the item ever arrived.....you lose. ( shipping out of country items fed ex is your best bet)

So heres my advise based on many years of selling.

1. offer insurance and keep the money in a "lost item fund". It works out, trust me.

2. Always pay for tracking on your item. Charge a little more for shipping to cover the cost or whatever you need to do but its the only chance you have with Paypal. Anything expensive ($50 for some people $250 for me) ship signature required.

3. pack responsively. For coins this means using tyvek envelopes or completely taped over paper envelopes at least, to prevent accidental opening by the PO machines. Wrap items in invoice or other cardboard or whatever inside and tape them down so they don't shift.

4. have the PO stamp that you delivered it so your tracking has an official start. Most times you don't have to wait in line just go up to the window and have them stamp them, provided that you have prepaid. This isn't alway practical but is an additional step that helps.

5. keep in contact with your buyer and let them know when it shipped and ask when you think it should have arrived for them to let you know. Contact is important.

6. When the seller reports a missing item, tell them you will check the tracking. Ask them to be patient while you check. Give it a little time. Keep in contact. They have a long time to make a claim. (45 days)

7. If they make a claim to the Resolution Center, decide if you have tracking that it arrived, let Paypal resolve it, maybe in your favor. If not, just pay it from your fund even if they didn't pay insurance, and move on.

8. NEVER leave feedback until they do. It lets you know they are happy with the deal and everything is OK. The deal is not done until they leave feedback, period. Remember, feedback only hurts the seller. Buyers don't really care. You do as it may lose you customers. Buyers buy anyway and can always just get another account. Ignore those that accuse you of holding their feedback "hostage". You don't need theirs. The upshot is they will still be pissed and leave you negative and your stuck because you already gave positive.

If you do get a negative there is a remedy if your serious about it. It costs but there is an arbitration service that tries to make it work for both parties. Also you can ask the buyer to mutually withdraw feedback and what it will take to mutually do that. You can send them a form for that. It works and its worth it.

Bottom line, I've found most ebay sellers forget this is a business. IT'S NOT PERSONAL!!! If you can't get past that , your not cut out for retail sales. Sell, make a profit, take care of your customers(even the a**h0Ies !!!!), refund if you have to and then MOVE ON!

I have a quick question for all the eBay sellers out there. If you sold a coin thru an auction and the winner paid the S&H but elected NOT to take the optional insurance and the coin turned up MIA thru the Paypal shipping (confimed by the Paypal site as still not delivered)would you:

B-Send the winner another coin of equal or greater value?

C-Respond to the winner that since they elected NOT to purchase the Insurance there is nothing you can do and accept the Negative Feedback that is sure to follow?

I'm assuming that there is no way of tracking lost items through PayPal and the "Tracking" number is for Delivery Confirmation only!

I'm certain that this has happened to somebody and I'm just wondering what YOU would do?

Thanks

C - But I would not expect Negative Feedback either. It wasn't my fault.

As an Ebay seller (not of coins), I would NOT refund the money if the person had elected to not purchase insurance. I think if you don't get insurance (for $1.40???) you are taking a chance that you will lose your purchase.

Yep. It's not the seller's fault, for sure. They offered insurance and the buyer didn't take it.

Has the buyer said to you that they expect a refund?

As an e-bay buyer or a coin buyer in general, if I don't choose to buy insurance and the coin doesn't show up, it my problem. I would not expect a refund, nor would negative feedback or even neutral feedback occur.

This assumes I either trust the seller implicitly or I can track myself that the package was sent.

Agree.

Now, for trades, since i rarely send coins with confirmation (haven't lost one yet) - if it didn't show up I would either:

1) Trust the person I traded with and send another, OR

2) Not trust them and send their coin back (yeah they might end up with a "free" coin but it's not worth the hassle IMO)

I'll take the negative because quite frankly, I don't see how I can possibly be heald accountable for a third party (USPS).

As with any delivery company, when you pay the shipping charges, you are hiring that company and agreeing to there TOS to deliver your package to the buyer for you. They are acting on your behalf as your agent, not the buyers.

I respectfully disagree. Once I hand the package to the USPS worker and she/he weighs it and applies the postage and scans the delivery confirmation barcode, I have done my part.

As an Ebay seller (not of coins), I would NOT refund the money if the person had elected to not purchase insurance. I think if you don't get insurance (for $1.40???) you are taking a chance that you will lose your purchase.

Yeah, that's my policy also, but just to burst your bubble a little, read the buyer protection policy at paypal.

Bottom line, It doesn't matter what we sellers say or state in our auctions or if the buyer purchases insurance or not. If the item is either not received or is damaged in shipment, and the buyer file a claim through the paypal resolution center, the buyer will get their money back every single time, no matter what. This is the specific area of the PayPal TOS that I am still arguing with them to change. And I will keep arguing with them to change because it makes selling a total liability.

I read Toojins reply and that's the way I felt too as a buyer. If I didn't insure, oh well, my fault. Guess what, in any of those instances I could have filed a paypal claim and gotten my money back.

I tend to do A unless I can send them another coin or make it up to them some other way.

You are not covered under Paypal buyer policy, so if they fight it, they will win your money back. Sucks I know, but better to find out now than the hard way.

I respectfully disagree. Once I hand the package to the USPS worker and she/he weighs it and applies the postage and scans the delivery confirmation barcode, I have done my part.

While you feel you have done your part, most people who have dealt with you would say you have gone a few steps beyond, you are still legally the owner of it until your agent, the shipping company, delivers it to the buyer. The shipping company does not take ownership of it. You the seller, have the burden of getting the product to the buyer. I very much doubt paypal will ever change there TOS as long as this legality issue is there.

I have tended to leave positive feedback as soon as the person pays and I ship the item, namely because I've always felt when I'm a buyer that once I pay, my part is done (I didn't like people holding positive feedback for me hostage till I'd do it for them). But I also am starting to wonder though if it's a good idea because of my first negative selling experience.

I recently sold a geocoin on eBay, and spent the next 2 weeks sending the person several e-mails and invoices trying to get payment, all with no reply. Finally the payment came and the person wrote & apologized saying they had moved and had to switch their e-mail addy. I replied that was okay, but that next time they might consider sending an e-mail when they bid stating payment could be delayed. I shipped the item, and a day or two later got around to marking it as shipped and sent the buyer an e-mail that it was on its way. The following day I got a message from PayPal that the payment had been reversed and removed from my account until the dispute was resolved. I sent all the details, including a scan of my light packet receipt from the post office showing it had been sent (and that it had only been shipped a few days before), but they ruled in the buyer's favor and didn't return my money. Now I'm out my coin and the payment, and the buyer is (thus far) ignoring all my e-mails asking what happened. I am not impressed at all; I thought as a seller I'd have some sort of protection, and I didn't know someone could just reverse payment like that and get away with it.

I'm hoping it was a mistake and that it wasn't the buyer's intent to stiff me, but as each day goes by and my e-mails are ignored it seems less likely. On the plus side, because of their late payment I decided to break my usual habit and not leave immediate feedback, so I have a little leverage. I'm giving them a bit more time to reply in case they are having e-mail issues, but if I don't hear in another week or two I'm filing a complaint against them with eBay.

Yeah, that's my policy also, but just to burst your bubble a little, read the buyer protection policy at paypal.

Bottom line, It doesn't matter what we sellers say or state in our auctions or if the buyer purchases insurance or not. If the item is either not received or is damaged in shipment, and the buyer file a claim through the paypal resolution center, the buyer will get their money back every single time, no matter what. This is the specific area of the PayPal TOS that I am still arguing with them to change. And I will keep arguing with them to change because it makes selling a total liability.

I read Toojins reply and that's the way I felt too as a buyer. If I didn't insure, oh well, my fault. Guess what, in any of those instances I could have filed a paypal claim and gotten my money back.

ahem - well insurance claims always cut both ways ( I think the US forgets that ) if you want to drive up the cost of coins by not taking the postage on good faith or buying the insurance yourself this is one sure way to do it -and not just ebay. I imagine those complaining about the european coin prices forget this aspect is undoubtedly 100% of the reason for their 'inflated' pricing as it is has to be built in as technically they ship all over the place international, not state state! - from personal experience postal losses run at 10% or more.

I was just checking into some of this customers other purchases and I was amazed to see that coins I had mailed to "The City" on Sept. 4th did not arrive until Sept. 17th :huh: So much for First Class Priority Mail to NYC!!

After reading through the multitude of responses, I've decided to do what I thought was right all along! I'll either send him another coin or refund his money! I can't worry about the Feedback, be it Good or Bad, sooner or later I'm gonna take a hit for something that's beyond my control. In THIS instance, the buyer is a repeat customer that deserves special considerations.

Besides, I HATE it when someones mad at me, especially over a coin, it's just not worth it, in the long run!

Thanks again for the Opinions, there are some VERY interesting views on this.

I sent all the details, including a scan of my light packet receipt from the post office showing it had been sent (and that it had only been shipped a few days before), but they ruled in the buyer's favor and didn't return my money. Now I'm out my coin and the payment, and the buyer is (thus far) ignoring all my e-mails asking what happened. I am not impressed at all; I thought as a seller I'd have some sort of protection, and I didn't know someone could just reverse payment like that and get away with it.

Now I'm beginning to understand why some Sellers do not accept PayPal as a payment option. Not only do they charge the Seller for the honor of using the service, they stack the deck against him as well!

Must be why they don't call it SellPal :huh:

I sent all the details, including a scan of my light packet receipt from the post office showing it had been sent (and that it had only been shipped a few days before), but they ruled in the buyer's favor and didn't return my money. Now I'm out my coin and the payment, and the buyer is (thus far) ignoring all my e-mails asking what happened. I am not impressed at all; I thought as a seller I'd have some sort of protection, and I didn't know someone could just reverse payment like that and get away with it.

The deal with this one is that if you can prove the buyer received the item, then you can file a fraud claim against them through the resolution center and YOU WILL get the money returned. You have to be able to prove they received it though.

The deal with this one is that if you can prove the buyer received the item, then you can file a fraud claim against them through the resolution center and YOU WILL get the money returned. You have to be able to prove they received it though.

If it is trackable, and they activated the same coin, would that serve as proof?

If it is trackable, and they activated the same coin, would that serve as proof?

THat's possible, but I doubt it since a geonick won't necessarily be the same name as the buyer. You could always ask PayPal customer service.

THat's possible, but I doubt it since a geonick won't necessarily be the same name as the buyer. You could always ask PayPal customer service.

That's a good idea. The person said she bought it for her son, so I'll have to keep my eye on the tracking number.

Just as an update to my two outstanding undelivered items, I issued refunds this morning. I simply don't want to deal with the hassels anymore. In the one case I have the coin back and maybe it will even fetch a higher price this time around. In the case of the other, well I am hanging onto the delivery confirmation slip and my receipt in case it ever does show as delivered. Then I can go back after the buyer through paypal claims.

I hope the USPS is done messing up my deliveries. Seems to be too many mistakes in the same time frame for my comfort level :D

Edited by AtlantaGal

1. offer insurance and keep the money in a "lost item fund". It works out, trust me.

I do agree with this.

For us, we do use insurance and signature confirmation on some items. But the insurance we use isnt from the USPS. I know of people who have tried getting money back from the USPS and have just failed.

Hopefully no ones coins were on this truck:

http://www.knbc.com/2007/0926/14207956.jpg

At least FEDEX has the first $100 insurance free :D.

I mailed out a coin on 9/15/07 and the man has yet to receive it. The post office said to give it until the beginning of next week, then file a claim.

To be safe I bought another from ebay, ($3.00 more than the one I am trying to replace), and will have that to send if the missing coin doesn't show up.

Just seems to me that the customer should get what he paid for if it's possible. Some coins lose money and others others allow you to go and buy more coins. :D

Edited by bvnlj

My motto is keep the customer happy. I take pride in my feedback rating, and will even take a loss of a few bucks to protect it. I have had only one geocoin go MIA (trades and sales combined) but if it ever happened to one I sold on ebay, I would most likely do whatever the buyer wanted to make them happy. I can refund the money, send something of equal value, or even try to aquire another like coin and resend it.

The coin that went missing on me was actually a cointest coin I gave away in these forums. The winner emailed me a few days ago and still hasn't gotten their coin. I didn't have any coins like that left, but lucky for me they were still for sale so I bought one and shipped it to them. Even though no feedback was at stake, I still felt it necessary to hold up my end of the deal and make sure the winner got themselves a free coin. :huh:

Glad I stumbled across this post.

I sell tons of geocoins on eBay, and I have only ever had one not arrive. Luckily, at that time I was automatically insuring all packages, so I got the $60 (yeah, coins went for a lot more back then) back and sent it to the buyer.

If it happened to an uninsured coin, I would likely not refund the person's money or send a replacement coin; if they choose not to insure the shipment, I cannot be held responsible. I've been thinking that I ought to put that in the auction descriptions. I think this is a pretty standard attitude.

I package everything very well, with extra tape around the ends of the envelopes so coins don't fall out. (Nurse Dave and I used to run a coin-buying Yahoogroup, and we had some coins lost in the mail that simply fell out of the end of packages, as the plastic edges of the coin envelopes cut through the paper of the envelopes.) I have also started using those plasticky envelopes whenever possible as they're harder to rip through.

So I guess I don't REALLY have answers, but I wanted to share some of my experiences.

I also accidently once wrote a coin was trackable when it wasn't (oops, darn those pre-filled templates!!) so i refunded the money (+ postage) and let her keep the coin. It was my bad.

I want to keep my customers happy :o

Heh, I have sent the wrong coin before (had two large coins and sent the wrong one) and when the buyer contacted me, I told her to keep the one she got and I'd send her the right one. She sure was happy and I got that positive feedback! "Customer is always right" or something. :o

I was just checking into some of this customers other purchases and I was amazed to see that coins I had mailed to "The City" on Sept. 4th did not arrive until Sept. 17th :o So much for First Class Priority Mail to NYC!!

A coin I mailed from here (San Jose, CA) to San Francisco, CA (about 50 miles) took three weeks to arrive. How was it shipped, by turtle? Anyway, luckily the customer was patient and thought it was pretty funny. He saw my postmark and knew that I mailed it when I said I did...

I think I would either send them a new coin or offer half the money back, to split the costs.

I had a coin go missing from an ebay buy and the guy sent me a new coin...I was still fresh and it was the Pyrimid proof coin that went gone on me, not having many coins it meant alot to me when he sent me a new one.

Just send 7 awesome coins to Germany that never arrived back in July...They were really good coins too! The trader Swedenhawk told me to not worry about it, beings that it wasnt my fault, but after a long wait and no coins I am sending him 3-4 others to compensate and basically split the missing coins with him...He also agreed to hold out for just a bit longer for a added bonus I said I would have for him in Nov.

I think most importantly communication and a certain level of sympathy goes a long ways...even if you dont intend on a complete refund.

I never actually responded to the original question. I had someone who thought their coin was taking a long time to arrive, so even though they didn't buy insurance, I was prepared to either refund their money or send another if it didn't show up (but fortunately it did). As Rasj said, keep the customer happy. I figured my 100% feedback and seller reputation would be worth it even if it did cost me a bit.

And, when I got back Sunday after being away all weekend, I had good news on the issue I posted about before. The buyer I was trying to contact wrote me to say she had been away and didn't know the payment hadn't gone through till she got back. Apparently she hadn't validated her bank account on PayPal before sending payment so that's why the payment got reversed. After she got it validated she sent payment again, so everything's okay now. It made me glad I hadn't jumped the gun on leaving negative feedback or filing a complaint, and that I had kept my e-mails non-accusatory.

This is how I am about making purchases as well but too many of my eBay customers don't even allow a reasonable amount of time for the items to arrive before they start hassling me about ship times and if I'm going to refund money or send another coin. If they don't purchase the insurance they aren't owed anything. How is it they feel they can demand I look after them when they did nothing to insure their package would arrive?

I have included a disclaimer on my listings now that states that the seller cannot be held responsible for items damaged or undelivered if the recommended insurance is not purchased.

The other idea a lot of buyers seem to have is that the more they bid, on the coin the faster it should arrive. I understand that they dropped a lot of money for a coin and can't wait for it to arrive but unless they pay more for the shipping it won't arrive any quicker.