Which coins are considered to be highly coveted?

Nochipra

Being a newbie to the geocoin trading and buying scene, I was wondering which coins are considered to be highly coveted among geocoin collectors? I am getting ready to go to the Geocoinfest in Pa and I don't want to look like an idiot asking someone if they would like to trade their highly prized coins for some measly common coin I might have? Any help is appreciated:)

Check out people's links to their trade lists (available, keeping and seeking) so you can see what's out there, what's available and what's hard to come by.

As for knowing what to trade at the GCE the best trades are often the handshakes and experiences you have with people you've only known by their geonicks. :laughing:

Edited by Droo

My advice...don't worry about it. I have made trade offers that have been turned down by the best of them, and have been treated with respect by everyone. This is a good group of people. You will be fine. If you have any questions, ask...most people are be happy to help out a newbie. We were all newbies once.

If you want to try to educate yourself, check out some of the coin collection websites (www.geocoincollection.com, www.cointracking.com, etc). The only problem with this is there are so many coins on the sites...it can be a bit overwhelming. You could look up the coins that you have to offer, to get an idea of their relative trade value. If a coin shows up on a lot of seeking lists, well...it is highly sought after. You can also check out the seeking lists of some of the cachers attending the event. I am pretty sure that quite a few of us have a list on one of these sites.

The best thing that you will come away with from the event is all of the new friends that you make...the coins will be secondary. Heck, half the time I forget to bring my traders out of the car. Since this is a geocoin event, I probably will not forget this time, lol!

Being a newbie to the geocoin trading and buying scene, I was wondering which coins are considered to be highly coveted among geocoin collectors? I am getting ready to go to the Geocoinfest in Pa and I don't want to look like an idiot asking someone if they would like to trade their highly prized coins for some measly common coin I might have? Any help is appreciated:)

If they are offering up the coins for trade, the odds are they are not the highly coveted ones. People keep those.

My advice...don't worry about it. I have made trade offers that have been turned down by the best of them, and have been treated with respect by everyone. This is a good group of people. You will be fine. If you have any questions, ask...most people are be happy to help out a newbie. We were all newbies once.

I can attest to this statement. I was looking around one of the sites where people keep trade lists just to try and get a glimpse of all the various coins out there. I saw a couple of folks that were looking for coins that I already had in my collection (an impressive 5 coins). Not knowing any better I sent off a note to each of them asking for probably their nicest coin on the trade list. They each replied and very kindly let me down.

They were very pleasant and gave me a bit of 'coaching' on geocoins. They also wanted to help me out in making my first trade and made suggestions on some coins I should be looking at in comparison. I'm waiting till after geocoinfest to see if I can improve my collection first.

So as DresselDragons says...there are all some pretty nice people on this group and I wasn't treated like the fool I was/am.

Edited by Theotokos

I've been able to get MOST of my 'desired' coins - so, there are indeed some great folks here!

I agree, just ask. For one person who WONT trade you a coin you are seeking, there is another person that will! At GW5 I seriously expanded my collection on limited traders.... some amazing people who really want to see you get a coin you are seeking!

I have one person who ALWAYS sends me the best stuff!!! We trade casually with no real 'count' for how many, or what we trade - but I think we both end up really happy!!! (My FAVORITE person to trade with - sending out a package today!!!)

The shiny ones!!! Seriously though, it depends more on you than anything else. I like the technically hard to build or the advanced design aspects of some coins. Others only want the oldest coins. Some only want trackable and others only want non-trackable. The best part of geocoins is that there's something for everyone. I'd also recommend browsing the geocoin collection sites and look at what's showing up over and over on people's seeking lists. Maybe more important is what's on their Keeping lists. Never be afraid to ask though. I've traded a couple "common" coins for two very rare coins in a single trade and we both walked away very, very happy. All you can do is ask. All they can say is yes or no. Sometimes they'll make the trade just because they liked meeting you. I've done that more than once and even given coins away to kids passing by at events just for the heck of it <_<

The kind you can't buy and are hard to find <_< .

WOW THIS WAS HELPFUL <_<

If you want to try to educate yourself, check out some of the coin collection websites (www.geocoincollection.com, www.cointracking.com, etc). The only problem with this is there are so many coins on the sites...it can be a bit overwhelming. You could look up the coins that you have to offer, to get an idea of their relative trade value. If a coin shows up on a lot of seeking lists, well...it is highly sought after. You can also check out the seeking lists of some of the cachers attending the event. I am pretty sure that quite a few of us have a list on one of these sites.

The best thing that you will come away with from the event is all of the new friends that you make...the coins will be secondary. Heck, half the time I forget to bring my traders out of the car. Since this is a geocoin event, I probably will not forget this time, lol!

I AGREE WITH DD THE GROUP OF PEOPLE YOU WILL MEET AT THIS EVENT WILL HELP YOU OUT AND WILL GIVE YOU SOME POINTERS....THAT BEING SAID SEE YOU THERE.

SCB#8